Took 2yrs - finally flooded my garage...

Bevo5

Well it took over two years of having my RODI set up but I FINALLY accomplished the right-of-passage known as flooding your garage.

This one is totally stupid.

I came back from a long trip and the freshwater 45g brute had a funkiness to it so I decided to just flush it all and start over. I opened up the ball valve and emptied it out via buckets. Then I turned on the RODI unit and walked away - float valve installed.

Yeah, I forgot to close up the ball valve.

Three or so hours later I went into the garage and it's proper soaked. At least I found out where the unlevel areas are as there was a good 2in pool built in the side. 

Oh well....concrete dries.

That is a lot more water than my recent flood, but at least it was on concrete. I was filling up a little 10g tank from the RO/DI and forgot about it. Left the room for at least 8 hours, maybe more, then walked back in on the squishiest, most water-soaked carpet you can image. Ran to Home Depot for a wet vac and fans and spent 3 days trying to get it all up, but I know I never really did. I rent, so when they pull the carpet up in this place...  :ohmy:  :dejection:  :unsure:

• Like 2

Never had it bad bad but I have had my 5 gallon bucket overflow once or twice. Sad thing is it was in the bathroom so instead of being smart and putting the bucket in the tub I spent time moping up my bathroom. At least the floors got cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well it took over two years of having my RODI set up but I FINALLY accomplished the right-of-passage known as flooding your garage.

This one is totally stupid.

I came back from a long trip and the freshwater 45g brute had a funkiness to it so I decided to just flush it all and start over. I opened up the ball valve and emptied it out via buckets. Then I turned on the RODI unit and walked away - float valve installed.

Yeah, I forgot to close up the ball valve.

Three or so hours later I went into the garage and it's proper soaked. At least I found out where the unlevel areas are as there was a good 2in pool built in the side.

Oh well....concrete dries.

I've done this exact same thing. I had the ball valve open and just turned the rodi on. I was filling up a brute can in a spare bedroom though. I knew it took about 8 hours to fill so I started it and went to bed. I woke up to two inches of water in the brute can and a very wet carpet.

Ha - yeah - all things considered it wasn't that major. 

I guess instead of 'flood' I should say I soaked the garage....gave it a good soaking.

At least I got to run some water through the new RODI filters...

• Like 1

I'm reading this as I just came in from setting up my r/o system and water barrels in my garage. At least I have carpet fans and commercial dehumidifier if something goes wrong! Crossing my fingers.

Ps if any of you get in a pinch and need to dry out floors come and get them I would be more than happy to loan them to members.

• Like 4

I'm with Scott! It's a monthly occurrence for me. I just did it yesterday in fact ???? I heard the timer I set go off and I thought it was the dryer through my 3 year olds screaming lol. It went for 4 hours, a new record for me though so there's that.

Edited by matty
  • Like 2

Flooded our 75g display onto the brand new pergo floors in June. We were at Disneyland watching the fireworks display when my tank sitter called.

I have an oversized return pump and before this incident ran it as high as I could without flooding. That was lesson one, slow that turnover.

The killer was that I had no idea about the snail in the plumbing problem and thus no gutter guard on the overflow. Well, that flooded most of my sump volume out of the top of the display. Probably close to 40 gallons.

Haha you live and you learn!

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1