What controller do i need?

PowderBlue

Im a little torn on controllers right now. Im looking into an apex Jr or possibly a reefkeeper lite. This is what i want to control

48 inch 6 bulb tek

Temp probe

ph(i have a 3 week old neptune lab grade ph probe already)

Will a Jr be enough? Tank is 48x24x12 with a remote 40 gallon sump. I have an ato as well but not sure if the controllers can do anything with them? It seems to me that apex offers far more than the reefkeepers and with the jr the expandability seems to be a lot but im not sure if i should go with a jr, a rkl, or wait any buy a apex standard?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Most people i know that get a reefkeeper end up selling it and going with Apex, if you can afford the Full out Apex I would do that otherwise you will end up dropping another $150 for the EB8, and if you want pH you will need to buy the PM1 module and probe. Many will state well the jr is limited on devices, well that upped and it's now to 7 plugins which is more than what most people I personally know using apex's are using so you should be good in that department, but still I would initially go for the full version.

Hopefully Reef Angel has change how you "program" them but I think Reef Demon Satan Seed Nightmare of All Nightmare would be a closer name for the past units I was familiar with -Just my opinion of course..

APEX for sure and the JR wouldn't be a bad option with the few things you need to control. You'd add a break out box to handle all float devices and can build one for cheap or by it from Neptune.

I may have a JR for sale here soon. I bought 2 recently, the first one was a good buy, the second a little better, both to the point I couldn't say no

How soon are you wanting to pick one up?

• Like 2

Hopefully Reef Angel has change how you "program" them but I think Reef Demon Satan Seed Nightmare of All Nightmare would be a closer name for the past units I was familiar with -Just my opinion of course..

APEX for sure and the JR wouldn't be a bad option with the few things you need to control. You'd add a break out box to handle all float devices and can build one for cheap or by it from Neptune.

I may have a JR for sale here soon. I bought 2 recently, the first one was a good buy, the second a little better, both to the point I couldn't say no

not even close to true at all. If you know anything about Arduino it is very simple setup and use. Reef Angel is awesome because if you know how to code or read through the forums the interface can be 100% customized to your liking and there are expansions after expansions on what it can do. 

Im not in a huge hurry, i am going to go apex for sure. Let me know if you want to sell one. I think you still have my number :)

Nothing personal Matteo, just sayin everybody who I know and had to "write code" hated it

I guess the take away is "if you know how to code"

Demon seed ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

even if you do not know how to code the program you download has a built in Wizard for super super easy configuration. I just think APEX has the name going for it because everyone in this hobby is such a gear snob  :comp:

Not saying the APEX isn't a good product but there are cheaper alternatives but.... if you have $$$$ to spend hahaha 

Edited by Matteo

I agree to a point. Some people will only buy "the best" Im not that guy when it comes to some things, but with the vast majority of people who have their tank fully controlled run apex, its hard to look another way. Ive never run much through a controller besides a heater so with apex having so many possibilities, and thousands of people using it, i think its the best suit for me.

• Like 1

I agree to a point. Some people will only buy "the best" Im not that guy when it comes to some things, but with the vast majority of people who have their tank fully controlled run apex, its hard to look another way. Ive never run much through a controller besides a heater so with apex having so many possibilities, and thousands of people using it, i think its the best suit for me.

sure thing. I got my reef angel plus for DIRT CHEAP so it was a great deal for me :) 

it looks like it can do just as much as he Apex, im kind of shocked ive never heard of it. But then again im somewhat new to controllers

TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST PNWMAS is a little behind on the "whats happening" hahahahah if you look around other forums with more traffic you will always know what the new thing or old thing is. granted Reef Angel isn't as popular due to APEX but you will find a lot DIY dudes have Reef Angels :) 

Apex for me is more than the programming, it's also about the customer service and knowledge base. I bought a reefangel and hated it. I tried to get help on line and it was very frustrating, that was years ago so it may be different now. I also owned a Reefkeeper and hated it also, especially their customer service. 

I love my Apex, I bought mine used and saved a ton of money. I have always been able to find help with any issue and have even had neptune take over my computer to fix an issue I had for me. 

I would recommend getting what you want the first time around though. Jr's are nice and do all that you need now but are limited out of he box without having to spend $ on modules. I bought a gold package because of the price, I almost sold the extra EB8 and I'm glad I didn't, I'm about to start using it. The controllers fill up fast once you start learning how much you can actually do with them 

• Like 2

I must be one of the few people in the hobby that like the Reef Keeper Lite.  It's really hard to beat what you can do with it for $120...  heater control, timers, temp, etc.  Heck, buy an SL1 for an extra $80 and you can use it as your ATO as well.