What controller do i need?

PowderBlue

I like RKL for basic tank setups. It's pretty user friendly when using MyReef and overall a good budget option with lots of used parts floating around the reef market.

HOWEVER

I have the fully pimped out Archon and really don't recommend it. Customer service is as stated...HORRIBLE! I'm surprised that DA functions as a company sometimes. Since getting the Archon the month it came out and now still using it over a year later I can tell you it feels like I've been in a never ending controller beta test. Random updates will be made once in a while and the whole system stops working, the flash drive in it gets corrupted and needs repaired in a PC at least every other month, many of the things originally promised never got released. I upgraded since I already had an RKL but if had the chance to go back would have done Apex.

• Like 1

I like RKL for basic tank setups. It's pretty user friendly when using MyReef and overall a good budget option with lots of used parts floating around the reef market.

HOWEVER

I have the fully pimped out Archon and really don't recommend it. Customer service is as stated...HORRIBLE! I'm surprised that DA functions as a company sometimes. Since getting the Archon the month it came out and now still using it over a year later I can tell you it feels like I've been in a never ending controller beta test. Random updates will be made once in a while and the whole system stops working, the flash drive in it gets corrupted and needs repaired in a PC at least every other month, many of the things originally promised never got released. I upgraded since I already had an RKL but if had the chance to go back would have done Apex.

I really value that opinion as Jeff is a sharp guy who happens to be an engineer in his day job.  

If he says it is hard to use and unreliable, think how that bodes for the masses.  

It's a shame as APEX needs more competition IMO...

My apex is up to 4 eb8s now, I use it for everything on the reef tank these days...

• 1 month later...