Official Premium Aquarium Goniopora Grow Out Competition

Wow! It is pretty slim as of now, not many contenders left 8 I believe. I thought alot of theses would do rather well for people as I had properly adjusted them to Aquarium life but it goes to show that some of the goinioporas are not the easiest genus to keep. 

• Like 1

Mine was placed there and actually has only moved about 4 inches as I keep pushing it closer to the corner to make room on the sand bed.....overall I have not had any issues with mine. it opens and closes at times but I figured that was normal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well oddly enough the competitions is down to 4 contestants. Mine got stung and is in no way going to be 1st place now. 

The only ones left are - Eclipse, Lexinverts, Higher Thinking, and Kenshin.

Flashyfins,as usual your polyps are juicy and colors vibrant, much bluer than mine thats for sure.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well folks, last picture post is coming up here with the 7th being the deadline. We will finally get to see that winning goniopora.

Judging a winner: Will be a little different this grow out. The most growth over the frag plug or edges from the initial size wins, Mounding will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by September 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.

mine won't be in the final running but at least mine is still kicking so thats a consolation.

• Like 1

Once again I hope Jesse does not mind me utilizing most of his write up for the rules of the competition. If it is uncalled for please let me know and I will see that it is taken down but if it is fine with you then it is much appreciated.

Well Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count. Contest begins May 1st! You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture. This competition will run 4 months!

Ground Rules: The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for The Premium Aquarium Grow Out Competition.

1.Your first post must include a quick write up of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start May 1st. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before the 1st and 7 days after to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified.

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original or similar plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement but only once. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but it is frowned upon and you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with, a ruler next to the frag to provide proof of coverage is preferred. No hiding encrusting parts in your photos. Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 4 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT. Length of competition: The competition will run for 4 months. This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 4 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be September 7th 2016 for the winner.

Judging a winner: Will be a little different this grow out. The most growth over the frag plug from the initial size wins, Mounding will not be a factor. We will make the final measurements by September 7th preferably with the same ruler used in the initial few posts.

Winner of each category shall have glorious bragging rights along with the honors of choosing a desired "Nick Name" for their winning Goni.

and there will be prizes...

The first being a $50.00 gift certificate to The Premium Aquarium

and Second wins a choice zoa or SPS frag pack.

and Third will get the zoa or SPS frag pack not already taken by 2nd.

Here I will be including a list of people who have checked in that will be updated over the length of the competition.

1) Badxgillen-*

2) Paratore-*

3) RByer-*

5)Lexinverts-*

6) Spectra-*

8) HigheThinking-*

17) Eclipse-*

20) Kenshin-*

Glad to see these are continuing on. Also love the fact that Frankenfrag got a mention in the first thread..[emoji3] keep up the good work bud. Running these are always a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This has been quite the war of attrition. I think I figured out why mine has been deflated over the past few weeks. My clowns are loving it to death. Now that the competition is over, I think I will move it to another tank.

Mine didn't grow too much, but you can see some expansion of the margins of tissue over the sides. When it isn't hosting those clowns it also looks like the mound is higher than at the beginning of the growout, with more polyps.

Before_after2_zpsev4kvix6.png

Before_after_3_zpsgckbjixw.png

Beforeafter1_zpsrs3jevb3.png

expanded_zpsuteodm8z.jpg

There was a lot of sps growth in this tank over this time period.

Befor_after_tank_zps1ua3rxdx.png

• Like 3