Hanna Alk Regent BAD?!

ssappington

this thread popped up on Reef2Reef

Alk is the only thing I test often and I use Hanna exclusively- everything in my tanks looks happy, so I'm doubtful of a HUGE problem- still a bit nervous and submitted a replacement reagent request...

thoughts?

reagent check link:

https://hannainst.wufoo.com/forms/w1hzjs2j1b4ejyu/

• Like 1

mine needed to be replaced and it was off with my back up 9.5 alk was really 7.5 so some batches maybe worse than others. But you should always have back up's api or something

EDIT:)

Thanks for posting this :) my other 2 seem to match my api hanna checkers so must be just the alk

Edited by StayPuff

has anyone tried to call them? It says it will ship out soon but when i talked to them they said 2 to 3 weeks i do have back ups thank gosh everyone should. But the little email says it will ship out shortly and when i talked to them they say now until 2 to 3 weeks.

Most have to prove you have a receipt to they say so those that didnt submit with a receipt i hope they honor it i mean gosh you show a pic of the darn thing and it has the lot number so lets see what happens

MORE INFO!

ordered a new bottle from amazon- also bad?!?! ([language filter]?)

thought this deserved a call-

called Hanna-

a real person answered the phone promptly- transferred me to another real person (a tech)

He was very helpful and understandable!

the ACTUAL PROBLEM is:

once opened, if you store the reagents laying flat, the prolonged contact with the liner in the lid is causing the reagent to test 1-2 DKH low- if you store them standing up, you won't see the problem-

they are still happy to replace, they have 337 requests for replacement right now, so it will be a while...

also: I ordered a brand new RedSea test kit- it test virtually the same as my Hanna Checker...

also2: don't buy Hanna Reagent from Amazon- they haven't sent them new stock in over a year...

I feel better about the whole situation- I almost lost faith in Hanna....

• Like 1

MORE INFO!

ordered a new bottle from amazon- also bad?!?! ([language filter]?)

thought this deserved a call-

called Hanna-

a real person answered the phone promptly- transferred me to another real person (a tech)

He was very helpful and understandable!

the ACTUAL PROBLEM is:

once opened, if you store the reagents laying flat, the prolonged contact with the liner in the lid is causing the reagent to test 1-2 DKH low- if you store them standing up, you won't see the problem-

they are still happy to replace, they have 337 requests for replacement right now, so it will be a while...

also: I ordered a brand new RedSea test kit- it test virtually the same as my Hanna Checker...

also2: don't buy Hanna Reagent from Amazon- they haven't sent them new stock in over a year...

I feel better about the whole situation- I almost lost faith in Hanna....

Ya I talked to them to it will be awhile like I said 2 to 3 weeks and those that don't have a receipt might get jacked which again I hope not.

But get some back up.  I lay mine flat because they fit in container laying flat and that is correct I was dosing to 9.5 and it turns out on my other test kit I was dosing 7.5 so mine was off 2.0 so 1 to 2 I think is a big problem so glad I was dosing or I could of had dead everything

EDIT  Btw how are they solving the problem with the lid thing I think there is more to it than that I think the solution isn't right. I opened my other one which was never in a lay down flat spot  and its still reading 1.5 under.

So if that's what he is saying is the problem then I don't know about that.

Edited by StayPuff

• 1 month later...

I bought a checker from BRS a couple weeks ago and checked the reagent number to discover I need the replacement. Bad news is that my new checker is temporarily worthless, but the good news is, I had a receipt with the purchase being so recent. Just a heads-up for anyone considering buying a checker.

The problem with these regents is that they react to the cap of the bottle over time making the test slowly more inaccurate. If you have a new checker it should be ok. Store the regent upright not on it's side in the case like most people do .

• 2 weeks later...