I Respond To the Name Lucky - Fire, Seriously?

TheClark

lucky.jpg

We lost power this afternoon in the windstorm while out at the movies. Reeftronics texted me, UPS kept the powerheads running, that part was great.

Came into the house to an electrical fire smell.

Eventually found the source. The fuge lights extension cord lit on fire right in front of me, orange flames and all.

205be6d2ccc00c66304608d71c105e87.jpg

Panic...

Followed by recovery...

Followed by prevention. The reason for this thread.

The plug is completely dry, in a safe place. It did not get water on it during the outtage. It is on a GFCI outlet, it's own dedicated one with no other GFCIs up stream.

It is not overloaded, just two 24 watt leds on it. Not even in the ballpark of overloaded.

Calling electricians!

How did this plug have enough resistance to heat up enough to burn? I am guessing internal corrosion from salty air inside the receptacle?

Would an AFCI have prevented this?

I need to make some changes, no hobby is worth burning down the house. Please share your experiences and advice.

• Like 2

Back in the day maybe 20 years ago? I had a 6 outlet power strip catch on fire. Full blown fire! The curtains were completely on fire all the way to the ceiling. I was in bed at 3am when it happen. My wife awoke me to ask what's that crackle noise? I knew that noise right away. She called 911 while I ran in to attempt to put it out. I ripped the glass tops and lights off the tank and used the water in the tank and a pot to put the fire out.

Long story short. I no long put power strips inside stands or behind.

• Like 1

Back in the day maybe 20 years ago? I had a 6 outlet power strip catch on fire. Full blown fire! The curtains were completely on fire all the way to the ceiling. I was in bed at 3am when it happen. My wife awoke me to ask what's that crackle noise? I knew that noise right away. She called 911 while I ran in to attempt to put it out. I ripped the glass tops and lights off the tank and used the water in the tank and a pot to put the fire out.

Long story short. I no long put power strips inside stands or behind.

Yikes!

Me neither, this extension cord was connected outside my stand.  Under the stand is plain scary with the corrosive nature of salt.  I do sadly have a few under there though, not every cord is long enough to reach outside the stand on a 4' cube tank or heck any tank for that matter.

I just verified, this circuit was on an AFCI circuit.  I used the test button on the breaker, it works.

So the GFCI did not trip (expected) and the AFCI did not trip (unexpected).

The fact it did not trip is scary stuff.

• Like 1

Electricity is a funny thing.....The joke around our shop is oh the magic smoke came out......not a good thing.

I have held electric tools in my hand and had smoke come out for a good minute or two and not trip the GFI or the breaker.....

• Like 1

I've never used dielectric grease on AC connections before wonder if it would help? I use that stuff on every fuse,plug or crimp connector at work but it's DC stuff on heavy equipment.

That is a great idea, I do wonder too.  Going to cut the extension cord apart and see what the deal is, or if I can tell.  Guess is a short caused by salty humidity, just a guess though until we get into it.

You have had your share of near disasters. Glad it all turned out well.

No kidding, its getting embarassing ugh!  Just call me lucky 

Electricity is a funny thing.....The joke around our shop is oh the magic smoke came out......not a good thing.

I have held electric tools in my hand and had smoke come out for a good minute or two and not trip the GFI or the breaker.....

Thats gotta be 'exciting' lol.  What kind of shop do you work in?

The GFCI not tripping was expected, shocking (hahah) that the AFCI did not but I am not an electrician by any means...

Dang man, that's too close of a call...good thing the situation ended like it did and not much worse.

Thanks, and so true man.  

It seems like that is my story lately.  Could have been worse!  It is discouraging though as I do try really hard to do things right.  

Ah well, live and learn.  And in my case, post it on the forums and live with the embarrassment in the hope it will help someone out :)

MORE INTERESTING

I took the kill-a-watt upstairs to test the fixtures housing the lamps to test if they had any short.

One of the fixtures, with no bulbs is drawing 0.9 watts.  The other fixture is drawing the expected 0.0 watts.

Surely this is a short of some kind in the reflector, and perhaps with some wiggling or jiggling it could be a bigger short.

More research to do but this is promising

aa1a2bf615994ceb8647a3d2fc9d342d.jpg

Jeremy, were you using a GFCI? I had a similar situation with my first reef tank in 1986.  Salt spray had accumulated on an extension cord that was behind the tank.  It caught the wooden stand on fire, and melted part of the sump. I have used a GFCI ever since.

Jeremy, were you using a GFCI? I had a similar situation with my first reef tank in 1986. Salt spray had accumulated on an extension cord that was behind the tank. It caught the wooden stand on fire, and melted part of the sump. I have used a GFCI ever since.

Yikes!! Guessing you were home?

Running 16 gfcis, one per apex outlet including this one.

Also have an afci in the breaker for the circuit

Neither tripped

Learning more here.  

My AFCIs breakers were installed in 2007.  They are standard AFCIs.  

There is a newer type of AFCI called CAFCI.

Combination AFCI

In addition to the protection provided by the Branch Feeder AFCI, the Combination AFCI provides for series arc detection down to 5 amperes. This series arc detection is beneficial to detect lower level arcing in both branch circuits and power supply cords. Combination AFCI protection is required by the NEC® as of January 1, 2008.

Just a guess, but I am betting that a CFCI would have tripped the breaker and prevented the fire.  Project in the works to get those 2007 AFCIs swapped out.