Dragon's 640g System

Dragon

I figured it's about time to make a thread for the big tank system I've been working on for the past year and a half. The focus of this system is on fish and corals will be secondary. I will try to slowly fill the tank with soft corals and whatever won't be eaten by my fish, but this system is really going to be about keeping rare and unique species of fish. I have my 75g shallow cube (http://www.pnwmas.org/topic/32513-75g-shallow-cube-build/)%C2'> my corals and that is located in the room adjacent to the main display tank of this system, so I get to enjoy the best of both worlds.

Details of the system:

-Marineland 300DD starphire main DT

-Custom stand to match stand of 75g cube

-3 IT2040 lights

-2 Jebao WP60's (for now)

-300DD is plumbed through the floor down to the basement

In basement:

-100g acrylic sump

-240g Envision 1" acrlyic cube

-IT2080 light

-2 Xwave 6800 powerheads

-Regal 300SSS skimmer

-Apex Controller

-Reeflo Hammerhead return pump

-TMC 110W UV sterilizer plumbed into the return for both tanks

-800w titanium heater

-Full Reef Genesis setup with Renew, Storm and RocV to automate water changes and ATO

I began this build roughly at the same time as my 75g build, and it was really difficult trying to pull off both builds at once. Now that things are getting closer to being fully operational, I am realizing how much water and work it takes to keep up with all my tanks  :doh:

To catch everyone up, I fully braced my living room floor for the 300DD and doubled up all the joists under the tank. My floor wasn't perfectly level, so I meticulously shimmed every inch of the stand and even through the middle and back of it. I built 2x4 stands for the 240g and 100g sump and those tanks live together under the 300DD. The 300DD has been up and running since April and I've continued to add components to the system as time's progressed. I decided to use I am still working on buffing the 240g out and getting it plumbed into the system. This build has been a difficult endeavor, to say the least, and I would not be where I am without the help of sdietz2469. He's been a huge help for me, so thank you Shane!

Here are a few renders I did of the setup while I was messing around with KeyShot at work. I created the model a while ago to plan out the build and placement of everything, and recently tweaked things to reflect some of the changes I made during the build.

9bb4f22e-3344-4ef8-8cce-940b25b8056d_zps

0bfec1a9-9558-48ed-9150-467c4b17c49a_zps

b68e19c0-7bc1-41cb-9977-c6cf256549d5_zps

57ec256a-9585-48dc-ba97-dfd73fd6b7c8_zps

• Like 3

My .02 cents ( speaking from my experiences )

1.  I would stay away from all the Regal skimmers.  The DC pumps are very sensitive and very unstable ( might has to do with DC converting/current ).  I got both 250SSS and 300SSS and they were nothing but garbage for me, and collecting dust in my garage.  The ASM G4xx (sedra 15000) smokes them. ASM G4xx a bit noisier and more electricity but it skims extremely/consistently well.  I have both ASM G4xx in my both my 1000Gal and 300 Gal systems.

2.  Reeflow is a very good pump but it leaks like hell ( at least for me ).  New pump leaked right of the bat and replacement leaked withing few months ( the seal was nasty rusty and gave out....see the attached pic ).  Have this handy spare seal: U.S. Seal PS-1905 Silicon Carbide Seal  .  I replaced with PS-1905 seal and the pump work like a champ so far.    

post-14297-0-83394700-1443547940_thumb.jpg