Redrilling a drain

Jack-the-reefer

Okay, I've asked this in a few other places, but haven't gotten a good answer yet.

Is it possible to make a hole in a glass tank bigger? I have a 1" drain, but I'd love to have it closer to 1.5". I have to keep the return at about half speed or the drain can't keep up. I know I could drill a second drain, but then I'd have to take the overflow out and build a new one.

Has anyone ever tried to drill over an existing hole?

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 1

Using [Name Calling and Personal Attacks are not allowed on PNWMAS forums.] saw per blackice above should work fine. Drillbits are a different story. Just be super careful to keep equidistant all around to avoid accidentally catching edge of existing hole.

Sheesh....somebody tell this Bicycle Bill character to clean up his act! :D

Another way to do it and the safest, iMO, would be to use a pc of 2x4 with a "pilot" hole started and hopefully you you access behing or underneath the spot you want to enlarge, center the pilot hole in the center of the existing hole, clamp or somehow make it rigid and just drill

gl

• Like 2

Took me a few to figure out what wanareef was saying :laugh:  I like the idea but think a 1x would be easier to deal with. And to be honest after thinking about it....I did that once with a new hole. I think I used a piece of 1/2 inch wood though....it worked out real well.

Jack I am in Vancouver also and have bits if you need to borrow one.

Edited by spectra

Took me a few to figure out what wanareef was saying :laugh:  I like the idea but think a 1x would be easier to deal with. And to be honest after thinking about it....I did that once with a new hole. I think I used a piece of 1/2 inch wood though....it worked out real well.

Jack I am in Vancouver also and have bits if you need to borrow one.

I think that's what I'll go with. I have a bunch of plywood laying around. And I might just take you up on that offer. Thanks! I need to figure out how much bigger I'm going to go.

Edited by Jack-the-reefer

I think that's what I'll go with. I have a bunch of plywood laying around. And I might just take you up on that offer. Thanks! I need to figure out how much bigger I'm going to go.

Just let me know if you want to borrow one. I have a few sizes just need to find them :D