Redsea and Salifert results

Jorge

I have been using redsea test kits for alk, ca, and mg and recently the ca test kept giving me low results (350ppm range). I trusted the results and so I kept manually dosing calcium to raise it to target point. Since I was running low on reagent for the ca test kit I figured I pick up a new one but this time I chose to go with salifert. Sure enough first test came back with a result of over 600ppm for calcium!! I'm going to trust the salifert results since I'm running a calcium reactor and I was manually dosing at the same time, it just makes more sense. What I'm saying is always double triple check if in doubt!! Just wanted to vent. Thank you for reading!

• Like 2

This is one of the reasons I don't test regularly. When we went to the Hatfield tour, Dr. Tim was talking about how one of the students did a project to test the accuracy of the test kits and there was even wide variation between the same tests in the same box. Good reminder if something doesn't make sense always best to double check.

I remember we talked about this not long ago Kim. I would have let it be as long as it was close or within the minimum range but 350 is pretty low. I understand there being a difference in test results but 350/600+ is huge!!

Thanks for sharing this! Just the kick in the butt I needed to order a backup test kit. I have been exclusively using the redsea kits and have had oddly low alk readings that don't seem to budge much despite manual dosing changes (along with the calcium reactor). I just ordered a salifert kit to cross reference when testing questions arise. 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this! Just the kick in the butt I needed to order a backup test kit. I have been exclusively using the redsea kits and have had oddly low alk readings that don't seem to budge much despite manual dosing changes (along with the calcium reactor). I just ordered a salifert kit to cross reference when testing questions arise.

I would definitely get a second test kit for situations like this. I had the same problem where I was dosing heavily and ca wouldn't budge. That shoulda been my first indicator that the redsea was bogus!

I remember we talked about this not long ago Kim. I would have let it be as long as it was close or within the minimum range but 350 is pretty low. I understand there being a difference in test results but 350/600+ is huge!!

I agree, I would also be inclined to test more if I had more LPS and sps in my tank. Right now I just have 2 sps, a chalice and a plate coral. In an sps dominated tank I do think testing is a must because as they grow they can really use up the calcium in your tank. Just a good reminder to always double check your results.

I like the Salifert because it has a reference solution to 'test the test kit'.  BTW, the Hanna (for me...) is spot on with SF FWIW.  Man that is allot of acronyms for one sentence :) 

• Like 1

Which redsea kit was it? Was it the reef foundation pro kit? I was about to pick one up today but if it is I'll pass on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It is indeed the redsea "pro".

I like the Salifert because it has a reference solution to 'test the test kit'.  BTW, the Hanna (for me...) is spot on with SF FWIW.  Man that is allot of acronyms for one sentence :)

Lol

• Like 1

It gets better. Magnesium test was showing 1150ppm on the redsea pro test. I broke out the new salifert mg kit and the results were 1450!! Who knows what they were two weeks ago when I dosed mg fairly heavy just to get it to1200. I grabbed two "pro" redsea kits and put them where they belong!!! This could be the reason all my coral browned out, receded, and even lost some! Redsea never again!!

20150804_223802.jpg

• Like 1

It gets better. Magnesium test was showing 1150ppm on the redsea pro test. I broke out the new salifert mg kit and the results were 1450!! Who knows what they were two weeks ago when I dosed mg fairly heavy just to get it to1200. I grabbed two "pro" redsea kits and put them where they belong!!! This could be the reason all my coral browned out, receded, and even lost some! Redsea never again!!

20150804_223802.jpg

Jorge! Don't throw those out! I'll take them. I use Red Sea Pro too. I might change someday but right now things are looking good for me and so for consistency I'll keep doing what I am doing.

I'm not saying that Red Sea Pro is great. I get very frustrated that results change from regent to reagent. When one starts running out I have to use both the old and new to adjust for the new number. For example, two reagents ago I was running about 8.7. With the next bottle that 8.7 came out 8.1, so that was my new number and I supplemented to that number. This latest one is 9.0. That's where I keep it.

It's not a perfect system but it seems to be working right now.

I use Red Sea, API, and Hanna Checkers personally and have had no problems. I do know a couple years ago Red Sea did have a bad batch of Calcium go out with low results. I was getting low results too and decided to start shaking up all the bottles (even though it doesn't say so) before use and started getting more reliable results afterwards.

With all the threads I have read on the big boards about RedSea test kits, no chance I'll be using them. ever. I do know most LFS sell them, so I am pretty sure that the margins must be rock solid for retailers. Salifert on the other hand must have awful margins, otherwise I think everyone would be carrying them.

PLUS, the Salifert tests are so easy IMO...I can do the 1/2 test for Kh, Ca, and Mg with my eyes closed. And I get 100 tests out of my alk kit! My Hanna's have been collecting dust for a long time now too.

This is always an interesting topic. It would be nice if there was something similar to consumer reports for the saltwater hobby that compared the efficacy of different tests and equipment.  It would nice to be able to rely on something more than just word of mouth for keeping our expensive corals and fish in good condition.

• Like 3

Did I mention API? Actually in a head to head test(cant find a link sorry), API did really well for most of their kits when compared to Elos, Salifert and Red Sea :-)

In the end, this is really a personal preference thing. PLENTY of solid reefers use red sea, elos, hanna, salifert, or likely a combination of the three. I think in the end, it just comes down to what works for you and what you feel most comfortable with.

I hate API. I can't understand why they cannot design a tube and cap that will not leak on your fingers every time these use it. Alk and Ca API tests have been close to Salifert. API nitrate is way off for me.

The thing I like about Red Sea is the quality of the titration and colorimeter hardware. The numbers rub off the Salifert syringes long before the reagents are used up. And I have an easier time reading the Red Sea Colorimeters for low range NO3 and PO4 than Salifert.

Despite the flimsy design of the kits, Salifert is the head and shoulders the best for Alk and Ca.

Jorge I think you mean DeadSea test kits?

Chris, you should call cabana and make sure they have the right test kits in stock...It's been hit or miss when I looked.

Good advice, just called first on my way out the door and they don't have the alk or ca, im afraid im in the same boat as you Jorge and just like Holly explained, that's how i killed most of my sps, the variation in end points from batch to batch is a killer.