Best doser?

Mitrillion

I'm looking to buy a doser my tank all drops a lot of all threw out the day and I don't think the swings are good for the tank! What do you guys recommend? What should I not get!? I don't want something that is going to nuke my tank and be more of a pain then it is worth! Thanks in advance:)

If you have apex already...get the DOS, baller control status on the fly.

No kidding, that has to be the best.  Stepper motors, containers that tell you how full they are, love that thing.

Best buy?  LOL, the jebao 4 channel for sure.  Probably not considered by any as the best but I sure do love it.

The vertex libra and ghl profilux are both great units. You set the dose amount to whatever your tank needs are, tell it in what size increments to dose ( I think you can go down to .05 ml) and it does the rest for you. I can't say for the others as I've only used the two mentioned above but they leave little to be desired. Also they are a standalone unit so you will not need an apex.

The vertex libra and ghl profilux are both great units. You set the dose amount to whatever your tank needs are, tell it in what size increments to dose ( I think you can go down to .05 ml) and it does the rest for you. I can't say for the others as I've only used the two mentioned above but they leave little to be desired. Also they are a standalone unit so you will not need an apex.

Vertex looks awesome but don't have that kinda money! For a dosing pump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Bevo5

I dunno about those Jebao's. I did a lost of research before making a purchase and it was hit and miss with those. WHy don't you just get a couple BRS dosers and hook up little digital timers??? Like $10-$20 for the timers and you can program them to come on/off multiple times a day.

I dunno about those Jebao's. I did a lost of research before making a purchase and it was hit and miss with those. WHy don't you just get a couple BRS dosers and hook up little digital timers??? Like $10-$20 for the timers and you can program them to come on/off multiple times a day.

i was checking them out they seem nice! But was wondering if the 80$ one comes with only 1 or with 2?

90 bucks for jebao I sure like mine. 4 heads!

Oops, my bad, 73 dollars and free shipping.  That is 18.25 a head.

There is definitely risk with a doser and it is smart to be cautious. If it sticks on, bye bye tank.  That said many guys use dosers.

I think solid advise for any doser is to use smaller dosing containers so that if the pump does stick on for some reason, you don't crash the tank.  Also it is not a bad idea to use check valves to keep the lines pressurized in case there is back siphoning.  In theory you don't need them but its not a bad idea.  You have to of course calibrate each head, that is in the broken english instructions but not too hard.

I dunno, there are pretty decent reviews on amazon for it.  I am going to pick up a second one for my son's 60 gallon cube build.

http://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Programmable-Auto-Dosing-Pump/dp/B00LZUZD74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434853777&sr=8-1&keywords=jebao+dosing+pump#Ask

And lastly, in no way do I want to say this is the best doser as the thread title.  Just an option if budget is an issue.

All in the hopes of helping out, good luck with your selection or manual dosing!

• Like 1

As Clark stated the Jaebo is definitely and option, though I do believe you get what you pay for. I have heard of several individuals having success with that unit many will set it up with water and measuring cups not only to calibrate it but then to test it from a week to a couple months to monitor its accuracy, Clark did make an excellent point in if you choose that option to stick to small containers. It may be a little extra work but to only stock a container with less than a week supply and top it off every few days could save you a major disaster. Regardless what Dosing pump you go with all mechanical devices as such there is a chance of failure.

• Like 1

I've been using a ghl doser I got used and I've been happy with it. I'm not sure if it's "the best" but it has it's own timer and everything.

http://www.aquacave.com/ghl-profilux-dosing-system-add-on-3-pumps-w-o-controller.html?fee=1&fep=1948&gclid=CjwKEAjwnpSsBRDH3pT2-7q55R4SJABRiNyTIDu62kI6JfTgMRscyKBgz_ZWBRd2NWUZz0uDapCZBBoC3kfw_wcB

I use the Jebao on my tank at work. About 7 months now and works perfect. A little noisy. The only way you're going to have one stick on is if the electronics somehow screw up, and I don't see that being something to worry about. Every single doser out there uses electronics from China, just saying. The only concern you should have is the lifespan of the pump head and motor. Having four to choose from means even if two fail you're still 100% covered.

No kidding, that has to be the best.  Stepper motors, containers that tell you how full they are, love that thing.

Best buy?  LOL, the jebao 4 channel for sure.  Probably not considered by any as the best but I sure do love it.

How well does it hold the calibration?

• Like 1

I have a DP-4 and when I moved last month I recalibrated and all three heads were still the same, with no adjustments needed.  So far it has been good.  I am using gallon containers, if I had a failure it would be back but I could easily change to smaller to avoid it....but then I keep seeing good deals on calcium reactors... :)

I'm getting a bulk reef one for coral trade and need one more! Also anyone have brs 2 part kit they want to sell! I might have to go out and bye but just to see if anyone has one?

After seeing what another forum member here was using for dosing saving money not buying premixed supplements like BRS I went back to an old article Randy wrote I knew of but had never gave all that much attention to. Giving a good look over there are some really good ideas included, worth the read anyways: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

Best of all not only do you find way to save money you learn the mechanics behind doing, and having a good understanding of "how" it works is a lot better than just knowing "what" works :)

• Like 1