The 1 dollar skimmer neck cleaner

TheClark

This might be a silly question' date=' but does knocking down the foam head and scraping potentially think skimmate back down the neck affect the efficiency of the skimmer? I'm assuming the skimmer would just push it all back out eventually. Right?[/quote']

its the build up around the neck that reduces the skimmers efficiency which is why cleaning it daily (or in my case 3x a day) keeps the skimmer at peak efficiency. I've been able to quite using GFO and I'm sure the neck cleaner is why.

its the build up around the neck that reduces the skimmers efficiency which is why cleaning it daily (or in my case 3x a day) keeps the skimmer at peak efficiency. I've been able to quite using GFO and I'm sure the neck cleaner is why.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

ReefnJunkie convinced me... built an auto version of this for about 20 bucks with eBay motor, 12v power supply and three squegees. Going for the ultimate clean neck will squuegee the inside and outside of neck, and the cup itself.

ry7upy5a.jpg

Waiting on Amazon for the squeegees

What did you end up using for a seal?

Ahh, this skimmer had an old fashioned 'wet neck'. So it had this fitting through the lid, that was designed to spray water and spin around.

It didn't work well or really at all.

But.. the bones were good. I attached the motor to the wetneck shaft, and the squeegees to the pvc pipes that sprayed water.

I would imagine for the DIY manual cleaner, a person could put a piece of 1/2" CPVC through the lid and mount the squeegee to that if gluing to the lid like the video is not an option.

Interesting... been wanting to fab up a neck cleaner for a while!

Me too buddy, the 1 dollar neck cleaner pushed me over the edge along with this phosphate battle from hell...

Pretty rough looking but should do the job.

Its all hooked up, time to clean up the project mess...

J

ReefnJunkie convinced me... built an auto version of this for about 20 bucks with eBay motor, 12v power supply and three squegees. Going for the ultimate clean neck will squuegee the inside and outside of neck, and the cup itself.

ry7upy5a.jpg

Waiting on Amazon for the squeegees

Haha nice, I bought a few of those motors thinking of fabbing one up. I have a Swabbie already though so I lost interest lol

Well here it is, the pre-alpha v0.1 neck cleaner!

The wet neck isn't quite square, but it should do the job.

Motor is 12v.

Mounted on standoffs made of 3/8"s pex.

Reused wetneck to mount squeegees.

Cut squeegees with miter saw to make them fit inside the neck.

Back to the cleanup