Mandinga's SPS tank

Mandinga

And the clams: Big blue is a tahitian, little max is from Maldives (?), and the Derasa...the small Max I was just watching for Fishboys, he has since moved on to his tank. I sure do miss the little guy, YOU GREW UP SO FAST(fighting back the tears)

Little Max

aFJLueW3HBlPuwKM5RSI2dsNGs7pKp7644TdrTmd

Derasa

E8ilv9p-yFZOQZj4NVg1RNf62un-oVlkHKRdwlWw

n6eoxWvJJ5-zaVZV_7dJBYmcdi4FOzRaAjljLNMR

From the side....as you can see, top down is the only way to see these beauties!

12ODCF4VDHGISMX-kZ2LmGr5K5uMUzwXBuLxPiGm

Near death.............we need info :D

Oh and the pics look sweet!

Technically not near death, though any electrocution is near death in my book.

I have the ATI t5 8 bulb, which is quite heavy and rather awkward...I usually raise up one side to do maintenance and pics etc. well, the Zias and palys just so happen to be on the low side, and in the corner, so if I'm feeling rather lazy I usually don't lift up this side of the ATI unit. That being said, I just flat out rarely look at the tank from this angle.

#lazyreefersyndrome

So instead of doing the smart thing and lift the whole lighting unit up, I tried to squeeze camera, and my big fat head under the light.

It was all going well until I slipped and grabbed a power strip to stop myself from falling and putting my head through my wall. Well...apparently it isn't wise to grasp a power strip with a wet hand while your other hand is elbow deep in the tank! Who woulda thunk!

I got a good jolt, but nothing like the time my feet were fully submerged with leaking voltage from a large external pump. That put hair on my chest, and cost me childhood memories.

But all said and done, I'm good. Thanks for asking:)

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 3

Just setup the doser. Set it to dose twelve times per day, so the alk swing will be very minimal. I'm seeing some base up rtn, but everything else besides the alk awing is optimal.

Using a jebao dp-4, hooked into the apex with a ph auto shutoff.

Wish me luck:)

9e9313642786dc646ea012b039130c0e.jpg

Edited by Mandinga

oops...forgot one...this big Wellso(?) Can anyone tell me if this is a wellso? It seems to play nice with the clam, so I just left it.

hc0v5vaI0hhS2YOvBwZpFYzseQvd0oSPVGcYG_Kr

From my understanding, Wellsophylia was just an incorrect name for Trachyophylia. They thought they were two different species, but they are the same thing.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/trachyphyllia-geoffroyi-and-the-exwellsophyllia-radiata.htm

Just setup the doser. Set it to dose twelve times per day, so the alk swing will be very minimal. I'm seeing some base up rtn, but everything else besides the alk awing is optimal.

Using a jebao dp-4, hooked into the apex with a ph auto shutoff.

Wish me luck:)

9e9313642786dc646ea012b039130c0e.jpg

Cool. I'll be curious to see how well it holds the calibration for you.

Are you still manually dosing Mag?

• Like 1

Cool. I'll be curious to see how well it holds the calibration for you.

Are you still manually dosing Mag?

Manual dosing mag yes, but I haven't in a while...tests still read 1280.

So far doser is ok, I have had to manually boost Ca a couple times...trying to make small adjustments.

Edited by Mandinga

This is Andre the giant turbo snail. He has a brother and a sister...:man he's getting HuGE! About in between tennis ball and raquetball size. Would probably actually make a fine meal:)

12724ec86c6519bffaa218c1cdec3ae4.jpg

672a1092b13460ca733db56af5c8cc6c.jpg

Andre knocks frags off constantly, but he does a mean nasty job chewing the algae, so he stays!

Plus, since he has this massive face, and so do I...well, I have grown attached:)

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

Andre is Awesome! I have a snail that is at least 5 years and golf ball sized but he has nothing on that bad boy...OH and your tank looks splendid as usual, I myself caught myself thinking about hooking the old dosers up to my new tank, we will see. we gotta cross paths again in the not too distant future and talk reef. Keep up the good work Man.

• Like 1

From my understanding, Wellsophylia was just an incorrect name for Trachyophylia. They thought they were two different species, but they are the same thing. http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/trachyphyllia-geoffroyi-and-the-exwellsophyllia-radiata.htm

I'm having trouble finding it, but I read not too long ago they switched it back upon further research. Getting rid of wellso never caught on with most people, so many will be none the wiser that it ever changed names.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the doser.

So far I'd say its worked OK....with some setbacks:)

I have had some problems keeping my Alk up. My Alk has been running in the 7.5-8dKh range, when I am shooting for a 9. I wanted to just make very minor changes to the doser, so far I have not been super successful:( It is just so hard to trust that the machine is working perfectly...I practically find myself constantly trying to hear the doser actually working, but it is too silent, and I am far too distracted...squirrel

This problem likely caused by a combination of factors below:

Used rigid tubing, and one of the connectors came undone! Alk basically dosed into my stand for a day or two! woohoo! made a mess, one drip of Alk at a time. Switching to soft surgical tubing/rigid tubing hybrid. Soft by the doser nipples, and hard for the tubing that I have to weave through my stand.

Other problem factor is that since the doses goes into the tank throughout the day, which is raising the pH to around 8.4-8.5ish due to photosynthesis and Co2. I had the Apex programmed to shutoff doser when the pH got too high(8.55)...which it did...a couple times shutoff the power already:) Which then reset my dosers. arghhh. I think the fix is to have the doser programmed to dose 24 times per day, that way if the Apex does shutoff the doser, it will just kick right back into its old schedule once the Apex turns it back on. You see... the Jebao doser resets the clock when it goes off, but it doesn't reset the programming(PHEWWWW)...Currently I am dosing 12 times per day each Ca and Alk...so when the clock resets, it just restarts the clock, which messes with the programming...but if the doser is dosing hourly 24 times per day, then when the clock is restarted, regardless if the actual clock is wrong, the programming will only have a minor interruption/change in dosing. Gotta love this challenge! Time to get my calculator out again:)

Edited by Mandinga

• 1 month later...

back to hand dosing:)

Just too many intangibles for the doser for me to feel comfortable with it:(

The wellsophyllia I have is now in the sump, as the tangs started chomping at it:) Other than that, not much to report here, just growing coral...time to trim!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...