Stafire Cubed ... a reefgeek build thread.

reefgeek84

So lets start with the details. I currently have 120gal tank set up that is dominated by SPS with some dendros. I am currently not happy with my tank and its current state. I have just gone crazy trying to fill this thing with coral, which has caused me to not be happy in two ways. I have alot of coral, that, my picky-self, is not extremely happy with and all this coral needed places to go so I have just stuffed the tank with rock. I was going to just go with a small oceanic cube for trying to keep dendros, this tank finally led to so much excitement, that I decided to trade the 120 for 60gal cube. This tank will only house tough to keep corals or the very beautiful LE/Rare SPS corals.

Details of the tank

Tank

60gal braceless cube - 24x24x24 all four sides starfire glass, this will be an sumpless open top tank.

Lighting

3 150w pendants and t-5 actinic supplementation- Pheonix 14k 150w HQI DE bulbs and URI UV super actinic supplementation. I went with this for a couple of reasons, the pendants I have are really cool looking and will add a very pleasing look to the open top tank and I can set each 150w to come on and go off seperately to simulate the rise to peak sunlight and the fall from peak sunlight.

Skimmer

Deltec USA, MCE600

Controller

Neptune Aquacontroller Jr. DC8

UV

2 aqua ultra violet 8w UV's w/ wipers. I am going with 2 due to size restrictions, so I will just run one after the other.

Water movement

Return pump will be a snapper and I figure that I will be pushing about 800gph out of it.

4 Koralias

- 2 #3's

- 2 #2's

Chiller

PCI CL-300 , I went this route cause Joel, made a very good point...they are local and if something goes wrong, I can just take a trip to woodburn and have it fixed quickly and not have to worry about shipping it and waiting all that time.

As I said this will a sumpless tank...This will be set up with a drain into a snapper that will then run the water through the chiller and the UV's then back into that tank.

The stand is going to be different then just your average wood or black stand, I am working with a local artist to do some paint work on it. This will be some sort of mural on each door (3 doors) of our lovely natural reefs.

Here are a few pics to get this thread going...

Unfinished stand

frontofstand.jpg

Masked off tank for painting of the back of the tank

tankmaskedoff.jpg

No paint

backoftankunpainted.jpg

Painted

backoftankpainted.jpg

There will be more pics to come here real soon, as all the small stuff is coming together...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good so far. What pendant are you going to use and why are you going with 3? How are you going to arrange them?

The pendant does not have a name...sorry I can not help much there. I am going with three because I want a total of 150w of halide over the tank and also so I can control each one and get more of a natural lighting cycle, in reference to length of intensity of light over the tank.

As for arranging for them, they will be a arranged in a "triangle" shape...2 next to each other and one above the two in the center. It is hard to explain...I should be getting something together here real soon and then I will take some more pics of everything.

UPDATE So I went over to my parents (where to tank and stand is at to work on, since my apartment lacks the space and the garage to do so). I got to add the trim to my stand. If anyone noticed from the earlier pics there was no trim. I asked for this on purpose as I wanted to give my stand the effect of a pillar and be able to have the trim stick up above the tank, so I can hide the foam that the tank will sit on.

So here are some more pics, not the most exciting but getting there. I figure about two more weeks, I go back this weekend to paint and then once it drys, I will then go back a few days after that and pick up the tank and stand. Then the fun begins of the change over...so stay tuned for more exciting photos to come along.

Here are the photos...

Front, top of stand with no trim...

standfrontnotrim1.jpg

Front, bottom of stand no trim...

standfrontnotrim2.jpg

Side, top of stand no trim...

standfrontnotrim3.jpg

Side, bottom of stand no trim...

standfrontnotrim4.jpg

Front of stand full shot with trim (the brown stuff is wood filler, where nails were added)...

standfronttrim1.jpg

Front of stand, close up of top trim...

standfronttrim4.jpg

Front of stand, close up of bottom trim...

standfronttrim2.jpg

Side, full shot of the trim...

standsidetrim.jpg

Back of the front trim...*notice the trim being raised

backoftankpainted2.jpg

Back of the side trim...*notice the trim being raised

standbacktrim1.jpg

UPDATE 5-26-07

Alright, so I have made some more progress on the finish of the stand. There was a change, the local artist thing was just not going to work out like I had wanted it to...so I needed to go a different route.

If you ask anyone about me, I do not like to do things like everyone else, I like things different and out of the ordinary. I also am not a big fan of wood stands and black has obvisouly been done alot :). *note: I am not trying to disrespect anyones stands.

I am sure that the route I took, is not what most people would enjoy, but I think it turned out really well...

I went with a very cool art deco wallpaper and crackel paint on the stand. I like the contrast that the wallpaper and paint offer on the stand.

Here are the pics...

Here are the doors, with the art deco paper - step 1

doorpaper2.jpg

doorpaper1.jpg

Here are the doors masked, ready for paint - step 2

doormasked1.jpg

doormasked.jpg

Here are the doors and stand with the base coat - step 3

doorbase1.jpg

doorsbasecoat1.jpg

standbasecoat2.jpg

standbasecoat1.jpg

Here are the doors and stand with the final coat aka crackel - step 4

crackeldoor1.jpg

doorcrakel3.jpg

doorcrackel2.jpg

standcrackel2.jpg

standcrackel1.jpg

Pretty much done, I just need to apply the clear polyurathene paint to protect the paper and paint from water spills. Again, maybe some will like and some will not...

Stay tuned for more pics, as I will be getting this set up real soon and will of course be taking more photos of it.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great I think sometimes you just need to be different. That is something you do not see everyday I think it turned out well can not wait to see it all put together.

Thank you for the compliment. I am glad to see it at least has not gotten a vote for ugly, (laugh)

Looks good and definitely unique. One thing I hope you remembered is to slap a ton of polyurethane on the art deco paper; it won't be able to stand the inevitable spills/drips etc.

-Sol

Not yet, as I need to wait a day more in order for the paint to be fully dry...but fore sure on the protective coat.

Thats sweet Brandon! I like the look of the stand' date=' good job. Does that paint crackle on its own?[/quote']

Thank you for the compliments, Miles. Yes the paint crackles on its own. You lay down the satin base coat (whatever color you want, mine obviously black), then you lay down the "weather crackle glaze" and wait about 2 hours and paint of it with you flat paint coat and it will crackle almost immediately. It is really cool stuff.