Stafire Cubed ... a reefgeek build thread.

reefgeek84

Wow... that is going to look awesome. I love the deco paper with the crackle finish. Too bad the local artist thing didn't work out the way you hoped but this is going to look really sharp! Hmmm... wonder if it's too late to tear mine apart and start over... nope, my SO would kill me!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... that is going to look awesome. I love the deco paper with the crackle finish. Too bad the local artist thing didn't work out the way you hoped but this is going to look really sharp! Hmmm... wonder if it's too late to tear mine apart and start over... nope' date=' my SO would kill me![/quote']

Thanks very much for the compliments...I am glad to see that this is more well received, then I anticipated it to be. Crossing fingers for this weekend to get the change over.

You did a very good job on your stand! Did you create the entire thing yourself? How much would a stand like that cost?

I did not build the actual stand...I believe a stand like that goes fro roughly 300-350 and that is unfinished...the paint, paper and all the supplies was like 150 bucks.

I see. Where is this tank going anyway? Will you be able to see all sides of the cube? Like a center pillar in a room?

No it will be on a wall...I live in a fairly small apartment, so a center room tank would take up to much space...but at least 3 sides will be viewable.

Looking good Brandon. Once you get the tank going you'll have a nice contrast between the dark stand and the lit tank and with the "art deco " lights you got, the entire thing will be the talking piece of your place!:p

Good work and outstanding display of patience to get this project done right. I can tell already you won't miss your 120 once the cube is up and running (clap)

Looking good Brandon. Once you get the tank going you'll have a nice contrast between the dark stand and the lit tank and with the "art deco " lights you got, the entire thing will be the talking piece of your place!:p

Good work and outstanding display of patience to get this project done right. I can tell already you won't miss your 120 once the cube is up and running (clap)

Thanks for the nice words...I know you are antsy for me to get my big tank taken down, cause then you get your fish (clap) (clap) Should be this weekend. thanks again for the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

So bad news...I did not leak check, cause I have really good luck with plumbing and I can fix what ever leaks with plumbing after the fact. Last time I make this stupid mistake. The bulk head that is at the bottom of the tank leaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I already had sand in it, so I tried to loosen it, bad I idea, now the washer is stuck. So I siliconed the crap out of it and we will see how it goes in the morning with another water test, if that does not go well, I will have to saw it off and clean the sand out and start over with a new one. I am hoping the silicone holds would make life easier, but the gap is fairly big...so who knows.

Well??????

Thank god for my 100 gal tub and old tek fixture, I have everything in that tub with the lights over it. Silicone, did not work, so I had to cut the bulk head off get a new one into its place, I also added silicone, just to be safe. It seems to be holding, I will be adding water today and hopefully rock and everything thing else and I should be good to go. So fingers are crossed and I should have pics very soon.

Ouch!

That's unfortunate. I am crossing my fingers. Plumbing is

BTW I saw the set-up Friday night before it was about to get filled-up and it looks really good. Brandon has thought about almost everything (well except for that stupiod leak, but if you don't have one, that's not a true chrissening is it?(laugh) ).

The tank looks fabulous, the lights are very classy, and the stand plus support pole for the lights very profesional. Once life comes in there this should be a very enjoyable tank to look at. I can't wait for the pics!!

Thanks for the Fishes and the frags Brandon!!

LMK if you need help mopping!:D

So after all the mess with the drain, I have it up and going and all is well...no leaks. I figure now is the time to upload some photos...I am only showing pics of the hardware, as I am not fully happy with the rock work of the tank...so pics will come of that once I get to that point.

Back of tank with light fixture on, and plumbed. John (aka J & Jr. on here) did an amazing job, he took my idea and totally created exactly what I wanted and did a most professional job, so a big thanks to him!!!!!!!

backofstand.jpg

front of tank, showing starboard and return exit loc line from the drain that runs through a snapper and the chiller. I went with star board because it is meant for marine applications. I figured it was worth the extra 20 bucks or so to get just a tad bit more piece of mind then a cutting board.

bottomoftank.jpg

Side plumbing, drain from back of the tank drains into the snapper which puts it through chiller and back into the tank. It is essentially a closed loop but has the chiller in line, so a fancy closed loop if you will. lol

sideofplumbing.jpg

Front of plumbing, you can notice a "T" 'd section that runs into my phos reactors, that hold phosphate media and one that has carbon in it.

frontofplumbing.jpg

Here are the phos. and carbon reactors, on a piece of acylic I made for them to hang on

carbonphosreactor.jpg

A close up of the "T" 'd section that pushes water into the reactors.

reactordrain.jpg

The other thing that i added into the plumbing that I do not see to much is the 2nd drain off the main drain. This is for water changes, all I do is hook up a piece of hose and just open up the ball valve and let it drain. I have used it and it is such a time saver with no mess.

Drain.jpg

Here is one of my favorite parts of this entire build...The lighting!

The Three lights, from the underside

bottomoflights.jpg

The lights wired for hook up to the fixture

litepigtail.jpg

The fixture wired for the lights

lightarms.jpg

The lights from the front and hung

lightshung.jpg

The underside of the lights hung and on

undersideoflights.jpg

My switches with the acyclic switch holder that I made. First time with acrylic, not James at Envision quality, but it turned out well and does the trick.

switches.jpg

My other piece of acrylic work, the case/holder for my AC3.

ac3incase.jpg

Another aspect to my plumbing I have not see, I "T" 'd my Ca reactor line, this way I can hook up some tubing and a drip valve and I have my acclimation section for new inhabitants to the tank.

tforfish.jpg

Like I said there will be photos of the tank up soon enough...I also have another few pics of the t-5 section of the light fixture, but I am waiting on bulbs, so once I get those I will take some pics of that was well.

You will notice that there is some what of a wire mess, I did that on purpose to a point, if I wrapped up everything nicely, it would be a pain if I ever needed to pull something out and things are kind of going every which way, so it is not has bad as it looks...

If there are any questions I am happy to answer them.