Nano Comp?

ZachS

Nano Comp?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm in
    • No this is dumb

If you can do a quick cycle like that' date=' why don't we make that a requirement and making the cycle time like 1 week before adding livestock?.[/quote']

good question, we could shorten the time frame. if everyone wants, we could make august the livestock addition month instead of september. or maybe we say you get both months for livestock addition?

Need some clarification on the rules. Is the one gallon volume to include the tubing volume as well? what about the volume of water in the pump, or any other equipment? If I make a one gallon tank, with some freeboard (not quite full), then I will have some water volume for tubing, etc.Why don't we make it one gallon of water, total. Or, maybe better yet, "stop being so anal"

OK, after cogitating this for awhile, I am in!

One gallon coldwater tank, here I come!

Kevin

YAY!

Need some clarification on the rules. Is the one gallon volume to include the tubing volume as well? what about the volume of water in the pump' date=' or any other equipment? If I make a one gallon tank, with some freeboard (not quite full), then I will have some water volume for tubing, etc.Why don't we make it one gallon of water, total. Or, maybe better yet, "stop being so anal"[/quote']

So in general, I think we're shooting for 1g of system volume, which would include tubing/etc. I'm hoping to make mine that way, at least. I think as long as you're making an honest effort to have it be a 1g system, no one is going to cry foul

got 50ft of tubing (to run through fridge) and a 1/2 gallon vase today, total is about $9. fridge tomorrow for $25. I'm working on lighting. HD has some 8watt LED bulbs that are 5000K, but I really wanted higher temperature. I have an email into rapidLED about getting their 4-diode moonlight kit with one or two of the royal blues swapped out for cool whites. that kinda seems like an enormous amount of light for 1/2 a gallon of water, maybe I'd get the 2-diode version with one blue and one white?

not sure the subsitution works, but I hope so, cause that's only 12-14 bucks.

I think having the stocking month more open is a good idea. That way if some ones cycle takes a bit longer there is not penalized for it. Also if you cycle goes quickly then you don't have to wait a month looking at a tank ready to go.

I have never checked nano reefs out. I'm going to have to do that, even if its just for reserch :)

ok, idea:

how about we say that you can start stocking any time between August 1st and October 1st, but once you ad your first (non $5 CUC) livestock, you only have a certain number of weeks (4? 6?) before you have to stop adding...

realistically, it's not like you can keep adding very long with such a teeny tank, but I think we should say something...

ok, idea:

how about we say that you can start stocking any time between August 1st and October 1st, but once you ad your first (non $5 CUC) livestock, you only have a certain number of weeks (4? 6?) before you have to stop adding...

realistically, it's not like you can keep adding very long with such a teeny tank, but I think we should say something...

Too true, I find I'm already cutting my list down dramaticly. I don't think 10 corals and 7 inverts would be very happy in a micro pico (nono)

I picked up at $2.99 vase at Goodwill today and will be playing around with it over the next couple days to determine if it will work this competition.

Biggest hurdle will be minimizing the visual pollution from the heater cord. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Obviously, unlike airline tubing, the heater cord cannot be run through a hole drilled in the side of the vase, and it would be preferable for it not to be obviously visible.

not a bad idea except a controller isn't gonna fit in the competition's budget...

The budget is actually making this more interesting. I find I'm playing a balancing game. Although I did have to sacrafice the LED lights I wanted :( Just couldn't do it and a good heater so heater won out.

Burningbaal, I'm also leaning towards a vase as well. I am really liking the cylinders. It will make getting a good photo a challenge but I really like the shape and also think it will help with flow :)

ah, that sounds like a good plan. of course, for me, there won't be a heater involved at all.

btw, Josh (at coldwatermarineaquatics.com) said that in his experience using a minifridge for a chiller is not very effective, but in such a tiny vase, he thinks it may work. I bought 50ft of 0.15 ID hose to start me off, it's 0.183g of volume (vase is 0.5, though I'll have it less than full). If it's not enough time in the fridge, I can add another 50ft and be just under the 1g limit.

and another piece:

this heater is apparently only 4 inches along and dime-sized around (according to a build thread on nano-reef)

They make versions of it down to 7.5w (size unknown for others), but since the 60w one is small enough, I am going to get it. of course, that's hugely dangerous since if it wacked out, it would stupidly overheat the tank. but I also found:

this controller for a very reasonable $25ish, so it should keep things nicely in check.

and another piece:

this heater is apparently only 4 inches along and dime-sized around (according to a build thread on nano-reef)

They make versions of it down to 7.5w (size unknown for others), but since the 60w one is small enough, I am going to get it. of course, that's hugely dangerous since if it wacked out, it would stupidly overheat the tank. but I also found:

this controller for a very reasonable $25ish, so it should keep things nicely in check.

Yeah, if the thermostat stuck on, it would probably boil the tank.