Nano Comp?

ZachS

Nano Comp?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm in
    • No this is dumb

John: Got the vote change. now we'll know that it's -2 for the 6qt pool and +2 for the 4qt pool. (including Zach's change too)

hmm...if I was better with electronics, I'd totally be all over that coldwater. I know a couple electrical engineers...so tempting

If we go with the 4 quart then all the awesome one gallon tanks are out :( I'm guessing you need some kind of filter on the thing

So are we thinking betta bowls? If so back to the drawing board DOH!

I think it's totally doable w/o a filter...just plan on lots of water changes and a pound or so of healthy rock in there, you should do fine. you could always (if you wanted) stick a carbon cartridge or piece of filter foam in there if you wanted...carbon cartridge (like goldfish plenum tanks use) could be pretty helpful, actually.

I'm liking the idea of using chunks of a broken mirror/window for the job (and silicone), definitely thought of a betta bowl. I may still do a mason jar or simply orange container. also thinking about a vase or something...

Well with these we are doing water changes weekly so I don't think there is need for filter. Just water movement

That's kinda what I was thinking for the filter. Get a small hang on the back. Gut it, put in a heater and cheato. And the return would be for the flow. Now that I'm used to a sump the idea of equipment in the main display is almost scarry.

What were your thoughts on flow? Even the smllest powerhead would take up half the tank (I checked)

one more thing:

can we firm up the rules about water changes? can we say that the 'new' water can come from any source, but it has to be a manual water change? so you could pour out 3qts into your 1000g main tank and take 3qts from it? this would make the two tank's water identical at the moment of water change, but if you don't keep up on the manual changes, it'll have the same affect as any other slacking.

pros/cons:

benefit from microfauna/bacteria/chemistry/etc in main tank...if not everyone has another tank, this could give some an unfair advantage?

my main reason: I'm more likely to keep my femto healthy if the water changes are easier. mixing up and heating NSW for each 2x weekly water change is way harder than scooping it to/from my 90g display...

you might be able to do an external pump, either with teeny bulkheads or inlet/outlet hoses. I was thinking of using an aqualifter (only 3gph, though). considering getting one of those betta bowl heaters that goes under the bowl (on the table), I think they're usually preset at 78 or so.

btw, I'm working on prizes/etc. also talking to a few potential suppliers about a 'group buy'ish thing (donation?) for everyone to get an identical frag of something to growout for the year, possibly with cuts/etc going to TFT? whatdya think?

A quick question. Are we counting shipping in to the cost? I ask because I liked the 1 gallon tanks suggested earlier. 20.99 + 14.99 shipping. It starts adding up pretty quick. I'm not totaly sure I want to go that route but maybe. For lighting I can get free shipping on Amazon so I think I'm good there.

I think that taking water from an established tank is smart i think this should be allowed unfair for those who have nanos though but if you want I say yes.

Tft frag growout sounds good but what are you thinking? Zoas or shrooms? I think sps and lps will be tough for those using cf bulbs

I think that taking water from an established tank is smart i think this should be allowed unfair for those who have nanos though but if you want I say yes.

Tft frag growout sounds good but what are you thinking? Zoas or shrooms? I think sps and lps will be tough for those using cf bulbs

A grow out sounds fun but could have problems with such a small system. If it chrashes you lose it (it would probably be something nice if growing out). If you succeed and it grows most things may overtake a pico well before the year is over. Just some thoughts.

Good heater, nicer then the one I found last night :)

I had two of those fail and overheat the 2 gallon to 90 degrees when I first started it. Hopefully they have their thermostats fixed. It's a nice small heater.

great info, thanks! I guess we may learn the answer to that during cycling and replace it with a different model if needed.

One word of caution with AIO tanks this small. The pumps generate more heat than you'd imagine.

also super good info. know of any super-low-flow pump that could be used externally? I was thinking of an aqualifter, but that's only 3-6x the turnover, I wanted more than that. I may be willing to go pretty high...maybe a 20-40gph pump? I wouldn't mind fashioning some sort of screen over the intake (to protect the cuc/possible fish) and some sort of spray bar for its outlet. that would get the flow more randomized and help keep it cool. I'm really wanting to do some sort of sps in here, so I'm willing to push the flow way high as long as I can find a good light for

Thomas: deaths is definitely possible, as with any growout, so it's kinda just part of the system. as for outgrowing, I think we can say that as long as you document (in photos) what you cut, you can trim all you want (of course, trimming tends to slow growth, so I'd keep it to a minimum). so if you get 4" of frags out of the stag during the year and it's 6" at the end, you got a 10" piece...kapeesh?

I've got a free moment at work, so I'll just give everyone a rundown of what the average pico is using for filtration these days.

Basically, Chemipure Elite is the king of the kill for chemical filtration media (1/2 unit is the smallest you can buy, and it's about the volume of a tennis ball), followed by and often used in conjunction with Purigen. Beyond that, everyone uses filter floss for mechanical filtration, and some of the larger picos use Chaeto. I'm going to imagine chaeto will be out for these little tanks. The amount you could use would be negligible. I wouldn't rule out all macro algae though. You could sneak some into the display. Heck, you could modify an AC20 into a refugium if you just had chaeto and purigen in there. The amount of purigen needed would be tiny. I think the chemipure elite 1/2 unit would be too big to be able to fit along with chaeto.

Of course, if you go custom AIO, the sky's the limit for filtration/fuge, but make sure your pump doesn't put out too much heat! If you're doing softies that don't need much flow, you can probably go with a smaller pump that generates less heat. The Mini-jet 404 is probably out of the question (that's what my 2 gallon tank has).

I'm suprized by the lack of decent heaters in this catagory. I know betta bowls have been kept for thousands of years. Yet the heaters for them are absolutly terrible. I can't find one the seems reliable yet small. Has anyone else had luck? The only one I have found that I was considering had said it was good for fresh or marine. But one of the reviers said the unit had a "not recomended for marine use" tag on it (nutty)

most of them I've found don't even bother with a thermostat, they're just always heating...a dangerous proposition in such a teeny tank. I think the issue of marine or not is probably null and void, but I don't think I'm willing to go without a thermostat. Islandoftiki had a link for one he likes a few pages back...

Sorry I missed that one DOH!

I agree, running a heater without a thermostat is just asking for trouble. Part of the reason I was suprized, I can't imagine people doing that. Islandoftiki's looks perfect, pricy but worth it