Nano Comp?

ZachS

Nano Comp?  

1. 1.

• Yes I'm in
    • No this is dumb

Give me a day or two and I'll write up a little bit about the current zeitgeist of pico tanks. It's easier than you might think, but there are a few limitations. For example, no more than three tangs per gallon...

All joking aside, I'll go over filtration, substrates, bioload, etc.

We will be pushing some boundaries at the sub-gallon level, but hopefully learning something and not killing everything off.

So, what are some of the heartiest corals out there? Let's make a list.

I think I'm in :D This could be fun.

Soft coral I think would do best

GSP

Mushrooms

Cheap zoa's / paly's (the expencive ones are not nearly as hardy)

Xenia

Cloves

Humm......... 1 gallon PICO PEST TANK. I LOVE IT.

I was thinking of a mushroom pico and no critters but the clean up crew bb the only real money would be a pump and a light I was going to try and put this togather spending next to nothing what value would you put on salvaging galss from a old window to be cut up to make a tank?

I have a broken mirror I thought I would cut up for the bottom and the back to make it seem larger then it is =)

I was thinking of a mushroom pico and no critters but the clean up crew bb the only real money would be a pump and a light I was going to try and put this togather spending next to nothing what value would you put on salvaging galss from a old window to be cut up to make a tank?

I have a broken mirror I thought I would cut up for the bottom and the back to make it seem larger then it is =)

Id say $5 for window? There are places hwre to get it cheap.

Btw gappy to see derbird and jeremy join thr fun

Gappy to be in :)

does the stand have to be included in the price?

For 1 gallon about 10 pounds I don't think a stand is really needed. Just a table that the cat won't go fishing on (enforcer)

Xenia is particularly good in a pico/femto as nutrient export since it soaks up nitrates... Hence why it smells like a men's room the morning after an all night asparagus feed. You should have seen the look on my fiance's face when shared with her the smell of freshly cut Xenia this weekend. Lol. She nearly lost her cookies.

Also, majanos and aiptasia soak up nitrates, too. Just sayin.

6x6x6 is one gallon I believe. I wonder if you could grow mushrooms with one of those $15 moon lights? plan to get circulation froma air pump. will help keep heat down I might just give it a go with the moonlight and find out =)

technically, 6x6x6 is slightly off of 1 gallon...if measuring in inches:

(length x width x height ) / 231 is the number of gallons, so a 6" cube is 0.93 gallons.

we're still pending the vote for wither to make it one gallon or 1.5 gallons.

softies would be the easy way to go... :D I'm toying with sticking a zoa or even acan in there...

Scott, are you officially in!? YOU SHOULD BE! I think everyone should join in on this, actually...anyone with a few $100 to burn, anyways

keep in mind, we're planning on a 'most economical' prize category, so I'm super supportive of the cheap setups...as long as they're still cool

Also I'm waiting till we figure out about size before I start my build I'm thinking that if we are doing weekly water changes that should be a rule? That being said I see no need for the filter and just running an AIO system with chateo in the back for nitrates.

Also thanks noob that was by far one of the easiest fiy run throughs

Got the PM about vote change. it's was 6-5 (6 quarts winning), so now it's 5-6 (4 quarts winning). as the votes grow, we'll just know that it's -1 for the 6qt pool and +1 for the 4qt pool.

coldwater does sound hard on the budget...seems like just the chiller would soak up most/all of the $120...

Got the PM about vote change. it's was 6-5 (6 quarts winning), so now it's 5-6 (4 quarts winning). as the votes grow, we'll just know that it's -1 for the 6qt pool and +1 for the 4qt pool.

coldwater does sound hard on the budget...seems like just the chiller would soak up most/all of the $120...

You can switch me to the 4qt pool. I'm game to push the limits. That's half the fun after all.

A peltier chiller will run you about 80 bucks on amazon (and it can be mounted to an AC20), but then you need to temp-control it with something and the temp controller would eat up the rest of the budget, unless you could DIY one.

Ok, let me just throw this out there. If anyone here is sufficiently talented with electronics, a peltier element is like $6 to $10 bucks. Throw on a an old used CPU heatsink (and I have some really big ones if someone is interested). DIY a temp controller, and this could be viable.