Lets give THX to our sponsors

Kimberlee

so he doesn't want to honor the credit...so he won't. that wins this guy loss of business. Everything else is water under the bridge' date=' everything else is personalities clashing, whatever. But you can't do that, certainly not with this reason. if the customer cared enough, I'm sure a small claims court would rule in his favor.[/quote']

To be fair, the "credit" was not money the customer had already paid the retailer and was subsequently owed. It was a prize he won from a contest on that forum. It was essentially a coupon, and pretty much every coupon out there says, "Cash Value: 1/20 of 1¢". I would pay the guy 1/20th of 1¢ and call it a day! :)

For $100, it would not even be worth anyone involved to go to small claims court - even if they were in the same state.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, the "credit" was not money the customer had already paid the retailer and was subsequently owed. It was a prize he won from a contest on that forum. It was essentially a coupon, and pretty much every coupon out there says, "Cash Value: 1/20 of 1¢". I would pay the guy 1/20th of 1¢ and call it a day! :)

For $100, it would not even be worth anyone involved to go to small claims court - even if they were in the same state.

true about small claims court...that's why I said 'if he cared enough'

also possibly true about the coupon thing, but if the coupon says that, you'd think the retailer would say so somewhere in the thread. Instead, he just says he's revoking it cause he wants to. I'm basing my points off the retailer's lacko f handling the situation. as most other participants in the thread, it's not so much about the $15 freebie thing, and really, it's only partially about revoking the credit. the retailer doesn't know how to respond. As MVP said, the internet is a tough place to do business, so you've got to know how to handle it. but instead, he's acting like a 9 year old who knows swear words after being called a doodie-face

There was never a meeting of the minds. No contract.

Since when did people expect LFS to be so flexible in prices? You dont go into mcdonalds with a free bigmac coupon, then expect free fries, and delievered too.

Are we gonna support people who dine and dash next? Just pay your tab, the number it shows, not less, and everything will be ok.

I'm sorry MVP, but you're fighting an issue no one else is fighting. he had every right to say no to the $15 thing, I'm fine with that. totally fine. that is peachy. my issue is in revoking the credit and in the way he's handling it on the forum.

I'm over the $15 thing and I don't think most people are arguing that, so you're not really getting anywhere with that point. It's totally ok that the retailer said no to the $15 thing. that's fine. The customer thought it was reasonable and had his reasons for thinking so. when he was told no, he came up with an alternative and it all went downhill from there

That is where you are wrong though. Had he payed his tab in the beginning. There would be nothing further. Customer made his own fight, lesson? Pay your bill. Everyones happy.

You have to play devils advocate to see both sides. He didnt handle it anywhere near professionally, but valid points were made none the less. There wasnt even a day of cooling off. Writing things hastely like thst is a big no-no. He didnt even get a chance to reconcile, which the law says you must do, unfortunately is rarely one chance to make right. But now he probably wont have to. Depending on what emails really say. The customer could have a libel or slander suit against them. Playing devils advocate again, but i am sure the retailer would like retribution of their own... They are playing a dangerous game

That is where you are wrong though. Had he payed his tab in the beginning. There would be nothing further. Customer made his own fight' date=' pay your bill. Everyones happy.[/quote']

Thats so true. He tried the extortion tactic first. Using the customers own words "I told them to ship if they were willing to trade the corals out and waive the $15 difference (after all they couldn't ship the corals I wanted) or just cancel the order." So the business owner canceled the order, like he was asked to do and went back to packing other orders, which he said he was doing. The customer who's bluff was called by the business owner decided to re-email saying he would pay. I'm guessing the owner had his mind made not to deal with this customer at this point. The customer is now crying foul to anybody that will listen cause their pawn shop style deal making didn't work and their bluff was called.

Thats so true. He tried the extortion tactic first. Using the customers own words "I told them to ship if they were willing to trade the corals out and waive the $15 difference (after all they couldn't ship the corals I wanted) or just cancel the order." So the business owner canceled the order' date=' like he was asked to do and went back to packing other orders, which he said he was doing. The customer who's bluff was called by the business owner decided to re-email saying he would pay. I'm guessing the owner had his mind made not to deal with this customer at this point. The customer is now crying foul to anybody that will listen cause their pawn shop style deal making didn't work and their bluff was called.[/quote']

hold on...extortion? he asked for a deal, it didn't go through so he tried a different one that was fully in line with normal business practices. asking for a deal is not extortion, it's how business is done. I emailed a supplier asking for a deal on lab supplies and they were happy to give it, it happens, it's normal

hold on...extortion? he asked for a deal' date=' it didn't go through so he tried a different one that was fully in line with normal business practices. asking for a deal is not extortion, it's how business is done. [/quote']

The extortion was the threat to go public with the "situation", which had not yet escalated to "situation" status until this threat was made. When the customer said he was going to public the retailer equally overreacted and basically told the guy to cram it.

The customer followed through on this threat and the S in the fan got mostly on the retailer.

hold on...extortion? he asked for a deal' date=' it didn't go through so he tried a different one that was fully in line with normal business practices. asking for a deal is not extortion, it's how business is done. I emailed a supplier asking for a deal on lab supplies and they were happy to give it, it happens, it's normal[/quote']

Um no he said give me a deal or cancel my order. That is not asking for a deal.

Asking for a deal would have been saying "will you consider waiving the $15 dollar difference since your website messed up and caused both of us a headache?" I bet if the customer said this the guy might have gave in. But the customer had to play email tough guy and say cancel my order if you don't give me a deal. The owner did what he was asked. The rest is just two hot heads that should have just went to bed and woke up with clear heads, instead of staying up all night fighting.

Okay now, no heated debates here. I think we can all agree that both of them have acted in the wrong. I see the customers point and the vendors and once again want to thank our sponsors for handling things like this in the professional way they do. Which is more or less the reason I posted this up.

I want to thank the op for posting this up. Provided me nearly an hour of entertainment over my lunch break today.

As for who's right and wrong, they were both probably wrong at one point or another, the difference is when the business owner decides to not act like a business. For me the giving of the 15 dollars is not the turning point for me, it's when he jumped in and acted like a prepubescent middle school boy. He could have easily deflated the situation, told the customer to please order again and apologize for the inconvenience. Done deal. At that point it would have been on the customer to understand that things can come up like an item being sold before you get to checking out. Happens all the time. But when you jump in and pull bonehead moves like he did, and making statements that make you seem like an ignorant idiot, that makes me have no remorse if your business goes down in flames.

he said it like I wish I had. it's how he handled it that's really the problem.

I want to thank the op for posting this up. Provided me nearly an hour of entertainment over my lunch break today.

As for who's right and wrong, they were both probably wrong at one point or another, the difference is when the business owner decides to not act like a business. For me the giving of the 15 dollars is not the turning point for me, it's when he jumped in and acted like a prepubescent middle school boy. He could have easily deflated the situation, told the customer to please order again and apologize for the inconvenience. Done deal. At that point it would have been on the customer to understand that things can come up like an item being sold before you get to checking out. Happens all the time. But when you jump in and pull bonehead moves like he did, and making statements that make you seem like an ignorant idiot, that makes me have no remorse if your business goes down in flames.

LOL' date=' I have done that with Beth when she was accidentally logged in and she has freaked out![/quote']

Stick to the topic you post count bumper.

Man after reading those 6 pages I had to skim ours.

My unsolicitated opinion we people only know the sides we read, there could be more to the story.

Frankly I LMAO when I saw the gift card was revoked, not saying that was right but could you imagine the guys reponse or look when he read that "[language filter] you mean my card gift card was canceled AND I am blocked?"

It reminds me of my ebay selling days when people would try to extort or get something for free me and I would just reply back, "thank for your inquiry, I am sad to report that I have had to add you to my blocked bidder list, thank you for visiting."

Both parties are wrong in their own ways and the business owner will get the short end of the stick for how it got handled. You just cant keep adding fuel to the fire without consequence.

The owner was correct though, I did google them to see what they had for sale (laugh) but when I saw zoanthids listed under SPS, I formed an opinion.

I like that forums policy or how they let the thread stay open and did not become the forum nazis like so often happens

I think that it was out of line for the retailer to comment like he did in the thread, thats all. Very unprofessional. Part of being a business is dealing with less than desirable public. But that is part of the industry, and to seep to as low of a level as salty did was very indicative of the sort of business he runs. I think that even if either side is correct, the retailer showed his true ethics and lack of temper. That would be the only reason that I wouldn't do business with him.

I think that it was out of line for the retailer to comment like he did in the thread' date=' thats all. Very unprofessional. Part of being a business is dealing with less than desirable public. But that is part of the industry, and to seep to as low of a level as salty did was very indicative of the sort of business he runs. I think that even if either side is correct, the retailer showed his true ethics and lack of temper. That would be the only reason that I wouldn't do business with him.[/quote']

When I look back at it that's really how I feel. I just have a big mouth, and get a little heated when people who claim to run a business act that way. I've looked at his site and I think he'd do really well after a complication course.

Archived