HELP with new tank build

J-Dog

OK, does anyone know the difference between a retrofit reflector and a pendant reflector? Are they the same thing, except that one is encapsulated and one is in the open? Do they give off the same amount of light or is one better than the other? Here are two examples.....

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_sunlight_reef_optix_plus_reflector-ap.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_sunlight_reef_optix_2_reflector-ap.html

Have you narrowed down what kind of lighting you are doing T5,MH, were LEDs even an option?

J/C

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you narrowed down what kind of lighting you are doing T5,MH, were LEDs even an option?

J/C

MH's are my first choice, but only if I can make them work. If I can, I was thinking I could supplement them with LED's. I'm still skeptical about going straight LED's, but I wouldn't mind using them with either halides or T5's. I got some tough choices to make.....I'll know more once I attempt to hang some pendants to see if they fit.

MH's are my first choice' date=' but only if I can make them work. If I can, I was thinking I could supplement them with LED's. I'm still skeptical about going straight LED's, but I wouldn't mind using them with either halides or T5's. I got some tough choices to make.....I'll know more once I attempt to hang some pendants to see if they fit.[/quote']

Whats driving the skepticism on LEDs

I think like any lighting you will find there are good ones and bad ones.

Does the room have decent ventilation

I have to say as one who was questioning LED’s. I made the jump on the new tank and the new tank is 30 deep. So I sold all of the MH and went all LED’s (Reef Star’s). I have better growth and better color less heat (with MH this will always be a issue) less power bill (more for corals). If you look on other forums out there you will see LED’s are more than a proven technology. I have seen great show tanks that are done on five year old LED’s that are all SPS and look great.

I would really think about MH if you look a lot are dumping there and the price is dropping fast. Buy a new MH fixture and a few months later nothing more than a paper weight. Just my thoughts but if you are doing a new thank really look at the LED tanks that are out there.

The reason why I'm not looking into LED's is because of the stories I'm reading about. Yes, some people have had great success with them, but I have also read the opposite. People that have been reefing for years, switching over to them, loving them for years, and then losing their entire SPS collection. I have read and heard about this on multiple occasions, so I wanted to hold off until I knew that they worked for sure in the long run. Just my opinion.....plus they are expensive as hell! (flame)

I agree with everyone on the LED and sps. I firmly believe you have nothing to worry about. In your space limited area LED would really be the best choice. The threads were people lose all of their sps using LED more than likely had nothing to do with the lights. Tanks crash, thats part of the hobby sometimes. Think of how many people lose all their coral using MH or T5. There is a reason why the hobby is quickly trending towards LED.

even though LEDs are expensive you'll save money on bulbs and electricity in the long run. Plus good MH/T5s fixtures aren't cheap either. if you are buying MH/T5s used than the payback vs LEDs will be longer but I do believe LEDs are the way the hobby is going. That's the way i'll go when my MH ballasts stop working.

Well, I think I've narrowed my decision down to either LED's or a T5 fixture. I've decided to drop the halides, since I don't want to deal with the extra heat and energy consumption. I like the different options LED's have, but the price tag is still a bit high. I think I am leaning toward a T5 fixture with some LED supplementation. That way, I can get some great PAR numbers for coral growth and color, plus the LED's will provide a little shimmer. Let me know what u guys think

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, I have another question for everyone. What is everyone's opinion on the best way to get good flow in your tank? I have seen open loops, closed loops, and powerheads.....what works the best for u guys? I wanna have a lot of flow in this new setup, just need to figure out the best way to do that

You can creat some crazzy flow with just vortechs and the low profile in the tank maks them a huge bonus over a regular powerhead. When you factor in all of the alternating and randomized currents you can make with these I personally feel they are way better then a closed loop system the one major set back and the reason I dont have one yet is that They are very expensive.

I have done close loops in the past. Why I wont do them any more. I dont like drilling out the back of the tank (Kills the resale value) Plus I have heard of in the last 6month 3 tanks taken down due to old bulk heads leaking. Cant controll to flow by just a dial or a button.

Love my Mp10. Well worth the money... Even though it was spendy. I would consider adding a second one if I thought it would help. A single one seems more than enough for 10 gallons. Having all of the different modes is priceless. I run mine in lagoon or reef crest modes and make use of the night mode as well.

I have a sump that I get return flow on' date=' but it's minimal. Vortechs are more than enough flow if that's possible. I have 0 dead spots in my tank. Only thing I use is 2 mp40w ES.[/quote']

What size is your tank? And how do u know that u don't have any dead spots?

I currently have one MP40w ES on my 150 and in pulse mode I can see movement in every area of the tank. I do plan on getting another but it is quite surprising how efficient they can move water. I would have never guessed that just one could flow across the entire tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I am back with another question. If I were to use an ATI fixture on my new tank, what would be a good LED strip to use for supplementation? I want to get a little shimmer, supplement the T5's for better color, and maybe use them as moonlights. Maybe a strip in front of the fixture and in back.....is there an LED strip out there I could attach right to the fixture? Let me know what u think

Archived