HELP with new tank build

J-Dog

If you go with a 60'' tank and you want metal halide' date=' I lit my 60x30 with two lumenbright larges and 400w bulbs. It was plenty of light after I measured with a PAR meter I almost considered going 250w. If you come over some time, check out the LED lights I'm messing with on my cold water tank. I think three or four of them would be BRIGHT and they run about $65-100 per. They are basically the same thing aquatic engineer (stew) posted about on the forum. Right now I'm lighting my low light cold water tank with two of them and it only draws 100w![/quote']

Brandon, I think I'm gonna go with 250w MH's and stay away from the 400's. I'm still not sold on LED's....I want to wait a few years for some solid proof that they are effective. Do u have any idea how much it would cost to get 2-3 halide fixtures (w/bulbs and ballasts)?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brandon' date=' I think I'm gonna go with 250w MH's and stay away from the 400's. I'm still not sold on LED's....I want to wait a few years for some solid proof that they are effective. Do u have any idea how much it would cost to get 2-3 halide fixtures (w/bulbs and ballasts)?[/quote']

As long as you don't get a cheap set of led's they are proven to be effective. I have read some articles of people using them for almost 5 years and have amazing growth. It's worth spending the money on led's in the long run since your going to have to swap out your MH bulbs once a year at about $200 for the pair. Just my .02

For lights, you could go with 3x of these

18x18-Copy.jpg using the Phoenix DE 250w 14k and these bulbs are inexpensive than the SE's you can get them for $48ea

ask around these are great bulbs but don't go cheap and get those inexpensive ones, the only other bulb would be the Radium 20k nice and blue for color but slow on growth.

On that tank, you could go with an internal overflow and have it built so it's skinner so it won't take up too much room, that way you can get closer to the wall. Just an idea

Yeah Charles, I've heard that Phoenix 14k and Radium 20k bulbs are they best for MH's. I want to get lighting that shows great color and the best coral growth. How much would it cost for one the setups shown in your picture (bulb, reflector, and ballast)? I also heard that reflectors make all the difference too, so don't go cheap on them. Are Lumenbrights the best?

Just to give u an idea of what I'm dealing with on my rooms constrictions, here are a couple of pictures.....

IMG_8950.jpg

IMG_8952.jpg

As u can see in the first picture, I have about 4 1/2 feet of flat wall before it starts to angle. This is the issue I am dealing with, as far as hindering the setups height. The second picture is just another angle that has a desk (which measures 48"x30") that can show how much room I have to work with.

If u have any ideas that will help, please let me know, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am looking into my lighting options and have some difficult decisions. I wanted to go with MH's, but for a 30" wide tank, I am thinking I need large reflectors to get good coverage. But as u can see in the above picture, I am limited on space to hang my lighting, so I am not sure I would have enough room. I will post a new picture later today showing the model I built and how much space I have to work with for lighting. If u guys have any ideas on different options, please let me know. I really want to go with MH's, but if I can't, then they are out (or maybe I could use smaller reflectors and supplement with another lighting option). Pictures coming....

OK, here is a picture of what I am working with. I built a temporary stand and used boxes to represent the size of the new tank. I was even thinking about building the actual tank stand a few inches shorter to give myself more room over the tank. Let me know what u guys think would be good lighting options for the limited spacing....

IMG_2160_2.jpg

Sorry to go off topic but I thought it was great that the cardboard box you use to make your moc-up says "This bos is designed for mulyiple uses". I would think that with the space you have available that t5s or leds would be your best bet. You dont want to make it to tight in there with the lighting and the pitch of the ceiling. one because of heat and two because getting into the tank for feeding placing corals moving frags acclimating new fish and so on. I f you had to move the lights every time you needed to gain access it might be to much of p.i.t.a.

Sorry to go off topic but I thought it was great that the cardboard box you use to make your moc-up says "This bos is designed for mulyiple uses". I would think that with the space you have available that t5s or leds would be your best bet. You dont want to make it to tight in there with the lighting and the pitch of the ceiling. one because of heat and two because getting into the tank for feeding placing corals moving frags acclimating new fish and so on. I f you had to move the lights every time you needed to gain access it might be to much of p.i.t.a.

+1 .

Aren't there some smaller MH fixtures that I could use to save space? Even if I didn't get complete coverage using smaller lights, I could always supplement using extra T5 lighting. I just wanna know if there are other options out there, instead of being stuck with only a T5 fixture or LED's.

I have a all in one dual 250De mh w/ 4 t5s fixture on a 75g tank and anytime I get in it to move stuff I have to move it off so theres room for my hand. If I had it to do over again I would have done leds cause there smaller and lighter. Maybe a single pendant with a mh and some led strips around the edges

How tall are normal sized canopies? Don't most people running MH's have them attached to their canopy? I can't imagine them being taller than 15", so couldn't I hang some pendants in the center of my tank at the 15" mark? I plan on building a custom canopy, with the back cut at an angle to fit against that back wall.....maybe I just need to get my hands on a fixture to see if it would work. (plotting)

that might be best. You can look at things on the internet till yor head spins but some times you just have to see things in person. Nothin like holding it in your hand before you buy it. Local fish stores we salute you =)

That's the problem....I don't wanna buy a fixture just to see if it will fit, especially if I can't return it. I guess I can see if anyone will let me borrow a used fixture, but that might be harder than it sounds too. I guess I could also order some online, but then I'm stuck paying extra shipping costs to return them. Oh, what a hobby...(sad)

In my opinion this is one of the best lights out there, I use one with awesome results. Its not real bulky, and it puts out some serious light

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/60_inch__6x80W_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_ATI

What's the difference between ATI's Sunpower fixtures and their Powermodule fixtures? Besides the almost $500 price jump

I have seen the room your tank will be in. I would do retrofit MH and t5s. Attach them to a hood that opens to the angle of the ceiling. Should allow plenty of room for feeding and maintenance you would have to remove the hood to add or remove rocks from the system. Kinda hard to explain. Give me a call I will come by and show you what I am thinking.

I have seen the room your tank will be in. I would do retrofit MH and t5s. Attach them to a hood that opens to the angle of the ceiling. Should allow plenty of room for feeding and maintenance you would have to remove the hood to add or remove rocks from the system. Kinda hard to explain. Give me a call I will come by and show you what I am thinking.

Thanks Taylor, PM me your number so we can chat...

What's the difference between ATI's Sunpower fixtures and their Powermodule fixtures? Besides the almost $500 price jump

The design of the powermodule is a bit more rounded and it has more fans. Thats the only difference, not worth the extra money in my opinion.

OK, does anyone know the difference between a retrofit reflector and a pendant reflector? Are they the same thing, except that one is encapsulated and one is in the open? Do they give off the same amount of light or is one better than the other? Here are two examples.....

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_sunlight_reef_optix_plus_reflector-ap.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_sunlight_reef_optix_2_reflector-ap.html

Archived