What do you want out of this club?  

1. 1.

• Just the website
    • Monthly meetings
    • Meetings and events/workshops
    • Meetings and speakers
    • All of the above
    • Whatever, I'm just here to trade frags

I know several of the LFS' have the 11" x 8" club flyer on their refrigerators/counters.

Maybe something larger that can be placed somewhere else is also needed, as long as the owners are OK with that.

This is what I suggested in my post...I think that this will help out with the club and its member base...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I come here??? Good question.

I am new here, so maybe my oppinion is not worth too much... Or maybe it is one that matters because my oppinion is so new. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years, and am just starting to get back in. Do you realize how much has changed in the last 10 years??? Back then crushed coral was the substrate, and there was a ripple in the water (pun intended) to change it out and use either bare bottom (from some guy in Berlin) or a layer of coral sand. VHO were the lights of choice because they were what many could afford, and MH were only for those that were in the "obnoxiously rich" category.

Where do I go to ask questions? HERE!!! I have been reading posts from as far back as I can reach, and I have learned answers to questions that I have not been able to think of yet. I do not even have some of the background knowledge to know what questions to ask (even with a BS in biology and a minor in chemistry). Some of you astound me with the depth of practical knowledge that you have in your brains.

Do you know how thrilled to death I am about finding a bunch of fish tank geeks (as my wife calls me) that I can share my interest with??? I met several nice people on Sunday (my first meeting) and enjoyed myself enough that I'll be back for more. It is all about the community. I started off two months ago looking at ReefCentral and Nano-reef trying to find some people from this area. When I finally saw a link to PNWMAS.ORG I was glad to know that I am not the only one around that is in this hobby, and maybe the next time that I am in a LFS I will recognize one of you, and think of you not as competition for the attention of the employee, but as a friend that I can talk to and share stories with.

For those of you LFS owners. I have not bought my reintroduction tank yet (I need 2-3 more months to save the money to do it right!), but I am planning on buying new from a LFS. I also plan on stocking my tank from LFS frags (you gotta have something to trade for something...) I am looking for the best price, but I am going to buy local (not internet). I believe in keeping my money in Oregon!!! I am even willing to pay a little more to do this. Someone that owns a LFS will get my business.

Back to topic: I am looking for a group of people that will help me learn from my mistakes, encourage me when I feel like giving up, cheer with me when I succeed, later on trade/sell/buy things with, call me a dummy when I am being stupid, share my high and low points. IOW I want a group of people that I can call friends. It takes getting together and spending time together to get this done. Sometimes when there is a speaker, sometimes when there is a teacher/learner workshop, sometimes when there is a BBQ. Without a time commitment from those involved, people cannot connect.

Edit- need more advertising locally. I have been in 3 LFS's in the last two weeks, and did not notice any PNWMAS advertising. Maybe now I know what to look for I will see it.

Edit- need more advertising locally. I have been in 3 LFS's in the last two weeks, and did not notice any PNWMAS advertising. Maybe now I know what to look for I will see it.

That is the point it needs to be seen when people are not looking for it...those are the people we are wanting to come here...

I put it right on my racks of the fish tanks but I doubt many people have noticed it just because when most people go to the store they are to busy looking at all the pretty stuff and tend to overlook everything else. I do think business cards to give out would be a good idea as I usually end up writing the link to the website on the back of my business cards to give out. It is just going to take awhile. There are plenty of Aquarium addicted people out there and they will eventually find the club and even though I know a lot of people on here are banned from RC it might be a good idea to put up a club message board on there also just for visibility.

That is the point it needs to be seen when people are not looking for it...those are the people we are wanting to come here...

The best results from a flyer about an event or speaking engagement were when the flyer was laminated(usually covered with Scotch Tape) and taped on top of the counter at the register.

Questions to LFS'..........#1 - do you think a 2 foot square or 3 foot square sign that can be hung in the store would draw attention to the club enough to make it worth while, or would it be overlooked? #2 - would you be OK in hanging it up for the club?

Business cards can be made. My wife has played with the banner design and made a few....here it is.

generalbusinesscardforMike.png

That me know if this is something you would like to have at your store and I'll start working on it.

Thanks

I just wanted to throw a quick note on here and thank everyone for their sincere opinions. This is the kind of feedback that we need. In many instances when a corporation or organization grows, it forgets what got it there in the first place.

Keep the comments coming. We are looking into making the club website easier to find. I am really sorry about that. This issue was kind of out of sight - out of mind.

I like the business card idea. I really like the idea of members hosting meetings.

Thanks again everyone.

Jay

I put it right on my racks of the fish tanks

I do not know which store you have (I just looked- I have never been to C&S, and don't get to Eugene very often) but when I did my "tour of 3 stores" a couple of weekends ago, I did not even know about PNWMAS, and would not have recognized a banner for the club if I saw it. I think that just like learning about LFS by word of mouth, this club needs to be advertised by word of mouth. If you believe that educated customers make repeat customers (because their stuff does not die as often) than this club has the potential to create a learning environment where LFS owners reap the benefits. As long as the people in this group can recommend you and your store for a quality product, at a reasonable price, and a place to go where "they know their stuff" you will get repeat business.

(peace)

Uneducated customers are short term customers because they will have to either give up after failure or educate themselves later after the store has failed to take the time to do it (for those that don't, or simply don't have the time or think the customer knows or in most cases the customer could care less because they think they know what they are doing), an educated customer will not only succeed but others that visit their tank will want to get involved since they now know someone that knows what they are doing. Period. Pus success is long term income for the stores.

I don't want to sound like a jerk about this, but I really would like to see the club be more welcoming to out of area members!

Some may have noticed the reactions to out of staters, and I know we get spammed sometimes, but just because someone might be in texas or north dakota or hong kong, doesn't mean they don't have anything to teach us and we have nothing to learn from them.

I don't want to sound like a jerk about this, but I really would like to see the club be more welcoming to out of area members!

Some may have noticed the reactions to out of staters, and I know we get spammed sometimes, but just because someone might be in texas or north dakota or hong kong, doesn't mean they don't have anything to teach us and we have nothing to learn from them.

the only issue i have personally seen with out of staters getting flamed is when someone from the east coast joins up and his only post is to try and sell something. Im sorry, but who actually thinks living three thousand miles away and selling your 200 gallon tank for $2000 as "pick-up" only and "will not part out" is going to get any legitimate responses? Its kind of pointless. If its a person somewhere else that has a question or just wants to be part of our group and show off their tank then thats totally cool.

the only issue i have personally seen with out of staters getting flamed is when someone from the east coast joins up and his only post is to try and sell something. Im sorry' date=' but who actually thinks living three thousand miles away and selling your 200 gallon tank for $2000 as "pick-up" only and "will not part out" is going to get any legitimate responses? Its kind of pointless. If its a person somewhere else that has a question or just wants to be part of our group and show off their tank then thats totally cool.[/quote']

correct...everyone that has come from out of state and wanted to be a part of this site, has been happily welcomed.

While I enjoy the presentations, I really look to the club for reef-related socializing. I was almost disappointed when Borneman started because he interrupted an interesting conversation I was having with H2OCooled and Reefrocker. I can get all kinds of technical info online, but shooting the breeze is a lot tougher :-)

unfortunately to big for home use. We are fortunate to have some nice stuff here including a full sheet laser (14' x 8' cutting 1/2" think stainless) and I have been known to make my own reflectors with it.. lol. Shhhhh. When I was young I used it to layout a speaker box.... Kids...

Here is my 2 cents.

I am a relatively new member and not really that active here on the boards, but maybe the opinion of someone who is new to the site would be helpful?I moved here from Southern California from a huge reefing community. I found out about this site at a Mc Menniman's when I was staring at there tank, from a fellow passer by. It actually took me awhile to find this site. I was not that active on thereeftank and there was no club forum on RC where I was more active on. JME

I did not really come here to learn, although I welcome every oppritunity. I am a member of 5 other reefing type sites, a mod on one of them, there are so many sites out there IMO it is going to be hard for a site like this to compete if that is it's sole purpose. No disrespect at all to the people here, there are some very intellegent members here who can teach a lot, it's just hard for a local community to compete with international boards.

I came here looking to find people in the area with common intrests, and to find local places to do business with, since I was not from around here, it was my best option.

Personally for me I think the meeting would be better if there was a more social element to them. I think it would help build the community as a whole, more so then a lecture presented by a speaker that I have already downloaded off the internet. It is something this site can offer that the other international boards cannot. A chance to see friends and hang out is more appealing then most speakers would be to me.

I have not attended a meeting, although I would like to, because of the days and times they are scheduled. In my line of work there is no way I can get away on a Sunday until after 6pm.

On the topic of speakers I would like to see, since you asked,

Dr. Martin Belli

Marc Lamont

Amanda Vincent

Leng Sy

Anthony Calfo

Although I would find these speakers captivating, I don't think anyone except Calfo would appeal to the members of the club. They are just to specialized in areas that are not common to most reefers. IMO this is going to be a dilema with any speaker in a club this size, like Steve pointed out.

IMO maybe an alternative to bringing in outside speakers would be to utalize the assests this club already has. There are many highly knowledgable people on this site that could give presentations on a number of topics. I think not only would it be beneficial for the speaker (you always learn something when formulating a presentation), the atendee's, but also for the community as a whole.

Like I said, just my 2 cents. I do look forward to continuing to visit this site and to get to a meeting if I ever have the oppritunity. I would like to become a paying member, but since I don't get to meetings, or have paypal, not sure if that is feeasble.

Hope that Helps.

Kevin

Kevin - you should PM Cheif or spanye and ask for the address to send your fee to and they will return mail your club card!! Hope you can make a meeting soon.

Yes all that is great info.- I don't think we are trying to compete with the big boards (like RC), but we would like to have people from Seattle stop by sometimes, (which some do), and other areas that are somewhat close.

Keep the ideas coming!!

We got our first reef tank less than a year ago.

We started to buy one from a guy who had an ad in The Oregonian, but we decided we wanted a bigger tank. This guy never mentioned PNWMAS when we went to his house. (He may not have known about it either)

We eventually got our set-up from a LFS, who never mentioned PNWMAS to us.

When that LFS would give us no support when we needed it, I thumbed through the yellow pages and found a different LFS . They were very nice and quite helpful, but they also never mentioned PNWMAS.

We were in Portland one night this Fall, and I noticed some tanks in a shop window. It was after 7, but Patrick and few others were still milling around Fanta-Seas. They were SO NICE, very helpful, and almost immediately mentioned PNWMAS. If we hadn't noticed the store and met Patrick, we might still not know about it.

If the average noob has to meet four reef hobbyists before they hear about PNWMAS, then I'd say that word-of-mouth isn't very effective, either... (whistle)

As for the meetings, my husband and I have two tots, 2 and 4. We just can't come to meetings with them. We tried it once, at Fanta-Seas, and it was a nightmare. It's not fair to other people, either, as it's very distracting. We can only come if we can procure a sitter, and even then only if it's in the Portland/Vancouver area: Our 2-yr-old was recently diagnosed with serious allergies (in addition to his asthma diagnosed this Fall). We have to carry albuterol and epi-pens in case he suddenly can't breathe.:( We just can't be 2hrs from home, from him, in case of an emergency.

To be fair, this is my hobby, not my husband's. I mean, he enjoys watching the tank and thinks it's soothing, but once I start babbling endlessly about my cardinals doing this today ("Oh, they're brooding again!") or my sinularia looks like that ("It opened back up finally!"), he rolls his eyes and threatens to put his head in a blender. (laugh) He loves to watch tennis, but if he tries to make me watch it, I want to stab my eyeballs out with a pen!!! DOH!

I'm sure there are a few other folks on here whose spouses fall into a coma upon hearing details of the most recent sexual macro (whistle)

We want to support PNWMAS as much as possible, but our attendance at lectures and meetings is limited by all of this. I'd like to be able to be there more; I have tons I need to learn to be a better hobbyist.

BTW, the people I've met through the Fanta-Seas meeting, the LFSs, and this site especially, are some of the nicest I've ever met in one group (cheer) ..PNWMAS definitely has that going for it!.. Great peeps with tons of knowledge as a whole (clap)

Rong666 introduced me to the club at Pets on Broadway, just before the summer BBQ at Steve Weast's. I've only attended meetings 2-3 times each year- even hosted my tank at the Northern tour. I spend most of my club time participating on this forum though I only jump in when I have something to contribute- I don't chat alot. I also enjoy everyone's photography. I've enjoyed the speakers-Tyree and Borneman. I do support our sponsors (Fanta-Seas, Waves and Upscales) though I have to admit some sponsors have been friendlier and more encouraging than others.