What do you want out of this club?  

1. 1.

• Just the website
    • Monthly meetings
    • Meetings and events/workshops
    • Meetings and speakers
    • All of the above
    • Whatever, I'm just here to trade frags

I didn't bother reading all 8 pages (just read a few), but I wanted to tell what I want from the club. First and foremost I want it to be a resource where I can post stupid questions as a new reefer, and get honest insightful, helpful answers. The hobby can be overwhelming initially, and having people who've gone through it all before who can share their fumbles and successes is the best thing the club can offer.

Some workshops might be cool - like for a guy like me who is very new, I know that I'll be terrified the first time I try to frag a coral. Workshops on this would be very helpful for example.

I also look forward to the swapping that I'll eventually be able to do.

Speakers - while sure some may find them interesting, personally I don't think I'd do it. My plate in life is quite full already, and honestly sometimes having an obligation to go out to a speaker wouldn't be that high on my priority list. Now, make it something like that coral farmers market, where a speaker makes an appearance, then sure I'll check that out. But a dedicated speaker night? Probably not.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the Mission of this group?

As a newcomer who used to be in a similar group on the East Coast I see a lot of concerns where there should not really be any. I think Steve captured the best the essence of the hobby and why people belong to such a club.

Yes, most of the info is available somehere on the net whether it is on RC or other sources. But being able to do the intellectual or brainless exchange locally whether it is through a conversation on this site, or at a group meeting over a few drinks is the most precious and attractive aspect of being a "club". Knowing that someone around here might have the knowledge/skills to help with a specific issue or problem is a driving force for moving forward in the hobby. Like some others have said it might even push you where you never imagined you would. There are so many talents within this group that the diversity is what makes the interaction so much more worth it.

Back in NC we used to alternate our reef meetings by going once to a club member's house (trading and discussing set-up, lifestock, workshop, college basket ball etc...) and the following time or maybe every 2-3 times we would go to a LFS. Usually we would use the LFS as a place for a short workshop on fragging, lights, DIY projects, skimmers etc...On top of trading frags macro, fish and sand between reefers, the LFS would also offer an insentive by fragging some corals. Everyone wanting frags would chip in a few dollars to cover the cost of the wholesale price of the colony, and the LFS would frag it out. There were also some avid divers that would organise a yearly dive on a shipwreck and those of course were awesome.

I have to say that this format worked well with that group which was smaller than this group. I think everyone gained something LFS , reefers and the club. There was obviously a selction with regard to LFS as not all of them had the same philosophy of the groups mission. The groups mission by the way was to increase the awareness of the reefing community with regard to coral genocide and promote the support of propagated corals while boycotting any wild coral collection. A handfull of LFS did fit in this category and we only dealt with them. And as such they were truely part of our 'community" and I believe both world benefited from each other in a synergistic manner.

On a personal note I have had to organise seminars and lectures for a scientific community of thousands interested individuals, at times we had a full house (a few hundred ), at other times only a handfull showed up. When we advertise for food, we typically see up to 10x more people showing up for a similar event. This is normal and those were professionals.

For this group what you consider a low turn out (estimated at 10% by someone up there) seems pretty good actually given your demographic in your population (families with children, geographic location), very focus topic , time and day of event. I also think many of the people in this group are perfect candidates for speaking and educating others, on so many things, the more informal, the better. I think the energy of this group is within and if a solid core leads the way, more will follow.

I would think that the social appeal (low key, food (bluecheese of course), drinks, time for interaction, putting a face behind the PNWAS alias of each member) will contribute greatly to the turn out at any meeting this club will organise. History seems to support this!

So this lead me to my question: What is the mission of this club?. And I sense in a way this is what the original poll at the top of this post was hoping to capture? Maybe a topic of discussion that can be extended at a future meeting with this board as a starter.

For me, I want to support and interact with any reefer/LFS in this area that promote non destructive reefing and guarantees the survival and protection of many species as a legacy to the future generations before they disappear. At the same time I would hope we could educate others about those issues too. And this starts with discussing it with a few beers (wine and bluechees too) around someone's tank whether home or LFS.

ok i just about pi$$ed myself laughing then I looked at the heading of the post.....looked over to see who had been postin last and it said bluecheese!!!!!!! way funny, ok, you would have had to been here .........and well said

The current Mission Statement of the club:

PNWMAS is a not-for-profit society dedicated to the education and husbandry of marine life in a captive environment. Together we can share our collective knowledge and experience for improved care and propagation of marine life while reducing the negative impact that coral collection can have on the coral reef. We are committed to educating the public on proper care and maintenance of these miniature ecosystems and to promote the interest and enjoyment of the hobby. Our society provides resources to the marine aquarium enthusiast in Oregon and surrounding areas by sponsoring meetings, lectures, online discussions, websites and other means, to connect local hobbyists. PNWMAS supports many educational and conservation organizations intended for the improvement of coral reef environments.

I am finalizing the club by laws and constitution for discussion and voting in the very near future.

Jay

The current Mission Statement of the club:

PNWMAS is a not-for-profit society dedicated to the education and husbandry of marine life in a captive environment. Together we can share our collective knowledge and experience for improved care and propagation of marine life while reducing the negative impact that coral collection can have on the coral reef. We are committed to educating the public on proper care and maintenance of these miniature ecosystems and to promote the interest and enjoyment of the hobby. Our society provides resources to the marine aquarium enthusiast in Oregon and surrounding areas by sponsoring meetings, lectures, online discussions, websites and other means, to connect local hobbyists. PNWMAS supports many educational and conservation organizations intended for the improvement of coral reef environments.

I am finalizing the club by laws and constitution for discussion and voting in the very near future.

Jay

Already sounds good (clap) (clap) (clap)

• 4 weeks later...