Icecap is no more?

CA2OR

Thought I would share....

"IceCap...the talk of merging ...now its decided to close its doors.. please read.

IceCap, a once popular lighting company that is headquartered in the United States is out of business. In a letter to their customers, Chuck Troiani stated that they have suspended operations. Chuck goes on to explain: “Unfortunately, we finally hit a trough in our business cycle due to several factors that impaired this business to the point where we could not and cannot recover. Therefore, by the direction of the IceCap, Inc. Board of Directors we have suspended operations.” Times have certainly changed, as IceCap used to be the leader in aquarium lighting equipment with their popular line of Metal Halide lights, however with the advent of LED lighting and the poor business planning contributed to IceCap’s demise. However, it looks like IceCap is seeking a buyer of the brand along with a new management team, investors, and/or owners. This announcement comes less than a month after we learned their assets were purchased by the factoring company Millennium Funding. Apparently that effort did not work as planned and this is less than two months from when we originally reported IceCaps problems. Check down below for the full email sent to their vendors.

Dear Valued Customer,

First, I would like to extend a Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you, your

family, and employees. I know this comes somewhat bitter sweet as many of you

have attempted recently to contact IceCap, Inc. with little to no success. For

that I am truly sorry.

IceCap, Inc. has been around for about 20 years and many of you have been

dedicated and loyal customers of IceCap, Inc. through the ups and downs over the

years. Unfortunately, we finally hit a trough in our business cycle due to

several factors that impaired this business to the point where we could not and

can not recover. Therefore, by the direction of the IceCap, Inc. Board of

Directors we have suspended operations.

What this means is we are aggressively and actively seeking opportunities to

keep the IceCap brand viable in the markets and with the customers we have

served over the past 20 years. In doing so, we expect to bring closure to this

process within 60 days and plan to align the new management team, investors,

and/or owners with our valued customers in hopes this continuation of business

and the relationship with the IceCap brand will mitigate the effects of recent

events.

In the interim, please direct all inquiries to chuck.troiani@icecapinc.com.

Please allow 48 hours for a response depending on the e-mail volume. Thank

you!

Again, my apologies for the situation.

Regards,

Chuck Troiani"

There goes another U.S, based company.....CHINESES LED's Here we come...DOH!

Thats too bad, I've never owned any IceCap products, but I have always heard good things about them, many people really like Metal Halide lighting for thier reef tanks, it seems like a tried and true way to grow corals sucessfully, its sad to see a major player in the Metal Halide for reef tanks go out of business.

Are LED's really that popular? to the point of being one of the main reasons for a metal halide company to fall? I have to admit I was breifly intrigued with LED's for a short time, thought about giving them a try, but chose to go Metal Halide instead.

Are LED's really that popular? to the point of being one of the main reasons for a metal halide company to fall? I have to admit I was breifly intrigued with LED's for a short time' date=' thought about giving them a try, but chose to go Metal Halide instead.[/quote']

Yes they are that popular. I have my "experiment tank" running on LED's for the past 6 months or so and I can tell you my next purchase is going to be LED. It seems like every week they are making another break through or advancement with LED's. GE now has some crazy new thing they are doing that has relation to Jet engine's or something. I don't recall exactly but will look it up.

Do I think LED's are a threat to MH....no....at least not right now. Maybe in a couple years. But there are definitely perks.....for one I use a mere fraction of the wattage to light my tank than MH would use. Another perk....I have added half a gallon of top off water to my LED tank.....in the last 3 weeks combined. My MH tank goes through at least a gallon a day. I can't comment on the life cycle but it is supposed to be phenomenal....but to me experience says it all.

But as it sits right now....the chances of me buying MH again is slim to none. I have loved my 250w HQI set up but honestly I can't wait to sell it.

LED was just a excuse I'm sure it was bad management as was mentioned also and as was mentioned there is good competition in the Halides as well and as most know there is good quality cheaper ballasts out there and my OP you payed more for the ICECAP name so they weren't very competitive hopefully they get new owners that will see that.

LED was just a excuse I'm sure it was bad management as was mentioned also and as was mentioned there is good competition in the Halides as well and as most know there is good quality cheaper ballasts out there and my OP you payed more for the ICECAP name so they weren't very competitive hopefully they get new owners that will see that.

So Jody, what brand ballast do you like now?

The Icecap MH ballasts were great quality according to what I've heard and they offered a 3 year warranty.

It's been a topic on Reef Builders for a while now. I think RB was plugging for someone to buy them out and keep them going.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/22/icecap-is-in-troubled-waters-headed-for-an-uncertain-future/

Just had one of their expensive end caps catch fire Sunday. You can find most of their products on clearance on any web site right now, except of course the end caps. There really are not any alternative manufacturers offering water resistant T5HO endcaps are there? Don't like cheap wobbly tombstones. Which from my experience also catch on fire. And in that case it was not my wiring job!

Kate

PS am slightly exaggerating about "catching on fire". Heard zapping sound, puff of stinky smoke emerges, plastic is melted and bulb goes out. No actual flames. Maybe next time.

It's been a topic on Reef Builders for a while now. I think RB was plugging for someone to buy them out and keep them going.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/10/22/icecap-is-in-troubled-waters-headed-for-an-uncertain-future/

Just had one of their expensive end caps catch fire Sunday. You can find most of their products on clearance on any web site right now, except of course the end caps. There really are not any alternative manufacturers offering water resistant T5HO endcaps are there? Don't like cheap wobbly tombstones. Which from my experience also catch on fire. And in that case it was not my wiring job!

Kate

PS am slightly exaggerating about "catching on fire". Heard zapping sound, puff of stinky smoke emerges, plastic is melted and bulb goes out. No actual flames. Maybe next time.

Ouch!

Maybe the problem was you bought "water resistant" and not "flame resistant" endcaps? (scratch)

Isn't there an Italian named H20 resistant endap maker (Stucchi )? Or is this just relabeled by Icecap?

In a situation like this is the company still required to back thier warranty's? Just wondering.

They are still required to fullfill their contract including honoring any warranties unless the courts absolve their debts through bankruptcy. That said though it's highly unlikely that you would ever be able to collect on a warranty after the doors have closed. (The cost of doing so would be prohibitive)

There goes another U.S' date=' based company.....CHINESES LED's Here we come...DOH!.[/quote']

Take a look at the new Ice Cap Illumination fixtures straight form China. Dont be fooled by US based as they are still buying cheap chinese pieces!

There goes another U.S' date=' based company.....CHINESES LED's Here we come...DOH!.[/quote']

Take a look at the new Ice Cap Illumination fixtures straight form China. Dont be fooled by US based as they are still buying cheap chinese pieces!

Yup. America decided long ago that it'd rather buy a thing cheaply made across the world than something more expensive made by a neighbor across the street. We ended up trading our blue-collar middle-class for a $99 Blueray player and jobs at Walmart.

So Jody, what brand ballast do you like now?

The Icecap MH ballasts were great quality according to what I've heard and they offered a 3 year warranty.

I use all types with most only having a year warranty but most I've been using for years and burn my bulbs just as good as the one ICECAP I have.