The Clam Hotel: Sand Bed & Breakfast

grassi

If you follow the Classifieds section of our forum you probably noticed this one:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21717

Reefit decided to buy Frank's giant clam, but he doesn't have his 500 gallon setup ready yet. So I offered to host the clam for the months he will need to build the tank.

That's why "The Clam Hotel" :)

jackaninny suggested to take measurement and pics during the move, and this thread will serve this purpose as well.

A temporary 40 breeder will be attached to my system. Here is a pic of the tank on my table, near to my 40b that is waiting for a light:

IMG_5724.JPG

You can notice how my table is perfect for holding 2 40b. Seems like I thought about that when I built it, but this is impossible because Jamie gave my the final limit in gallons for our system. I was just lucky(laugh).

During the weekend we will drill and plumb the tank to the 100g sump.

But before of that we are waiting for Frank to tell us the exact size of the beast... not sure it is gonna fit. We will find another way in case...

More updates to come.

• Like 1

i dont see what fun it is to have a clam that big already' date=' you cant even watch it grow up(laugh). if it doesn't really fit in a 40 breeder i guess the next best things gonna be a 100gal Rubbermaid like your sump. i definitely will be following this thread.[/quote']

You know, the incredible thing is this baby ain't done growin yet. Lol

i dont see what fun it is to have a clam that big already' date=' you cant even watch it grow up(laugh). if it doesn't really fit in a 40 breeder i guess the next best things gonna be a 100gal Rubbermaid like your sump. i definitely will be following this thread.[/quote']

We wanted to put it into the sump originally, but I have to unscrew most of the stand lol

Robert... DE or mogul?

yea that beast is only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger. I think Frank should give up the clowns that live inside the mouth too! They are like the main feature in the tank together. You can't split them up. Come on Frank' date=' You know you would want smarter clowns anyway...lol[/quote']

That's a great idea Brandon.(rock2) I second that idea. The clam should go with the clowns that's part of the enjoyment.(clap)

Good call Roy.

A gallon of Calcium Chloride is ready in case and I did weekly water changes since day one :)

I also have a full dry container of brs calcium & mag if needed. I also believe I have an extra 175w XM radium sitting around in a box somewhere. we might just be good to go. now to figure out how to mount the lighting.

I have an idea about the light mounting.

But we have a little problem. I thought I had a 1' bulkhead on the other 40, but it is a 3/4, sorry :(

Any chance somebody has a 3/4 bulkhead sitting around? Slip or threaded, same thing

I got it from seahorse, he will trade it out i'm sure.

do you need me to get anything from the store to mount the lights? let me know' date=' i could stop by and drop off supplies along with the fixture and go swap out that bulk head today if you want.[/quote']

I can swap the bh, I live really close to Seahorse.

I was gonna do the light thing anyway, don't worry.

Some progress tonight.

I drilled and painted the back and bottom of the tank.

IMG_5742.JPG

I did the plumbing (just dry, not glued yet) and mixed 50 gallons

IMG_5743.JPG

Then I started fixing the little problem I had with the stand. It was bending so I need to build a couple of vertical elements. I used a car jack to lift it where it was supposed to be. Too late now to use the table saw :)

The supersump seems pretty busy with all the tubes

IMG_5744.JPG

Tomorrow morning I will finish the stand, glue the pvc and set up something for hanging the light. Sunday the water test and we are ready to go