The Clam Hotel: Sand Bed & Breakfast

grassi

Congrats on your new clam alex. i'm glad i could help you move it into its new tank. After 1 vicodin and 800mg of Ibuprofen i'm not sure i want to move it again. (laugh) Can't wait to see what this thing consumes in elements. let me know if you need some calc, if he starts eating all your supply. :)

Congrats on your new clam alex. i'm glad i could help you move it into its new tank. After 1 vicodin and 800mg of Ibuprofen i'm not sure i want to move it again. (laugh) Can't wait to see what this thing consumes in elements. let me know if you need some calc' date=' if he starts eating all your supply. :)[/quote']

No way!!!! You have to get back this big clam before or later!!!!

A few more inches and I have to move it into the bathtub (nono)

I hope you are gonna feel better soon. I will build a clam lifter by that time

No way!!!! You have to get back this big clam before or later!!!!

A few more inches and I have to move it into the bathtub (nono)

I hope you are gonna feel better soon. I will build a clam lifter by that time

Yes a clam lifter would be nice, but that was really the easy part, despite getting wet, it was the nearly 150 lbs of water we hoofed down the stairs that got me. your stairs are almost like a ladder they have quite a vertical drop. Next time lets just bag him in a trash bag like they do at the LFS, or you could just throw him in your sump and get rid of your skimmer?

We spent some time cleaning the clam of a few starfish hitch hikers and a couple mojano's, it will be interesting to see how he acts in the tank once he gets happier. I am also interested in a par reading on that bulb.

Can't wait to get a picture of him and put it on my backdrop. The colors on that thing are excellent. thanks for all your help, i may just have to come spend the night and sleep on your couch just to watch him, as long as dylan doesn't get to sleep over.

I will see if I can get the par meter this weekend.

The clam is already wide open. Seems she/he is fine.

It is 10 inches tall. Moving a clam should be a new olympic sport..

Here is how a Giga clam looks inside a 40b, if you ever wanted to know:

IMG_5793.JPG

I still have to find out from where the microbubbles come from. The other tanks and sump are fine.

IMG_5794.JPG

The rock on the left is not small, as reference, and the pvc pipe is 1inch:

IMG_5796.JPG

You can see an hair on the top left of the clam. The clam seems to like it. Ok... I'm going into a dangerous area...

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

IMG_5802.JPG

IMG_5803.JPG

IMG_5804.JPG

• Like 1

Wow, that thing really opens up nice. Frank thats a stellar deal, thank you very much. I really like how its blue and purple when you look at it from the side and it has green when you look at it from the top. Very nice. I wonder what the GPH rating that thing has, it could probably run the tank itself. now just a way to hook up a bulkhead...hmmm.

Here are a couple pics of the clam in franks tank. It physically pushed about 50 lbs of live rock about 6 inches over.

DSC_0002.JPG

Look at how tall his tank is. getting that thing out was not an easy chore.

DSC_0003.JPG

Here is a repost of the clam when it was about 10 inches to show its growth next to a current picture.

gigas%20clam%2010inch%206-3-2008.jpg

Glad I wasn't there...I mean wish I could have helped...lol

Good to see it didn't take all day.

I will definitely grab another guy next time as well. It would be nice to have one more hand just to open doors, take pics, move light fixtures, moral support. etc.

I didn't know quite what to expect, but its a live and learn hobby we are in for sure. :)

Now I have 2 months to figure out how to tell the (wife) that i have a giant clam and its not for dinner. (scary)

I will definitely grab another guy next time as well. It would be nice to have one more hand just to open doors, take pics, move light fixtures, moral support. etc.

I didn't know quite what to expect, but its a live and learn hobby we are in for sure. :)

Now I have 2 months to figure out how to tell the (wife) that i have a giant clam and its not for dinner. (scary)

As long as I'm not working you know who to call! That's the least I could do for all that you've done for me!