DIY Seio/Tunze stream - Lots of pics

impur

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read on RC that someone ran their mj mods on the seio controller and it worked.

They only tried it for an hour, though, because they didn't want to ruin the brand new controller.

It'd be sweet if it worked longterm!

Are there any other controllers out there that could be tried?

Or any timers that can be set to turn the modded pump on and off at really short intervals?

okay... I loved my mj mod (but it was temp) and now I have to say my seio 2600 is the best thing I ever put into my tank (other than water) AND, it puts out as much water as 3-4 of my MJ mods would have put out in the tank...

I was using mj 900's so it wasn't the most power full, and yes they have great flow patterns, but not really enough. would be GREAT for smaller tanks, behind the rocks flow, or flow in an area without rock or few obstuctions (like a frag tank), but my 65 gal has about 55 pounds of fiji LR and 25-30 pounds of manmade LR (which very porous would be about 45 pounds if it where fiji rock) so the tank is fairly full. All that rock causes friction of course. and I still use the MJ mod for behind the rocks flow, but the seio is so much more powerfull

So far these have been great, I will post again in a few days, they are cycling on and off over and over. I will find a failure if there is one to be had. Ran all night last night switching on and off with no problems still going strong.

I would be in on making some too. Maybe a DIY at a meeting............hmmmm?

I would be up for it, if not at a meeting, an impromptu at someone's house soon. I have some power tools to do it here, bandsaw, miter saw, drills, etc. I have a few 1200's I'm curiuos in trying this out (now that I just superglued screens to them I found at Seahorse :). Does the flow come out in all directions on the sides or just the end? If so, has anyone tried to block the endcap to get flow on the sides? If so I'd be game, it would be just what I need for the middle of my reef to increase flow on both sides of it.

Might be easier impur if you just charge a couple beers or a frag and crank them out, by the time you explain the process you could have done the thing yourself, I could be wrong but seems that would probably be the case. LOL

I may bring one to portland and rethink a milled plastic version from one of my suppliers, but thats going a little overboard. If I did that I would have to sell them and I'm not to into dealing with that. The thought has crossed my mind though.

Ron the only way to really spread the flow out is to shorten the shroud. The slits are where the water goes into the pump, not out. I guess you could put the prop on backwards and have the intake be the end of the shroud, that way water would flow out the slits. But i would imagine that would be less than optimal flow. How about an MJmod on a swirlerstein???? Now that would do what you are looking for and be pretty bad@ss.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=799971

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running my MJmod for a good 5 days now, the most i've run one. I'm using a octura 1435 prop, which is slightly less flow than the dumas 3004. I would guess 1300gph or so coming out of this, maybe a bit more. Its on one side of my 75 now and doing a great job of moving water all throughout the tank. Just a couple pics to show how great these work, notice the sand was completely covering the bottom of the tank before the MJ went in. And its completely silent :D

P1010055.jpg

P1010056.jpg

P1010057.jpg

Nice Nyles. I thought about talking to a couple of my machinist buddies too but seems like ya got that covered. Theres a site somewhere online that has some that are 1 piece machined version and are sweet!! Ill try to find it. Later Ryan

The ones online now are $60.. Crazy I know. I can't say anything till I get a call back with rough numbers. BUT I know these will be cheaper and the machine thats makes them is different than what the online guy is using. We made these from a mj1200, but they fit the mj900 as well not sure if the tabs are the same on the mj400..... you tell me.

Dangit Bill... I already had A red mushroom (thought it was a diff color), but yours actually spread, I have had the same one in there for 6 months and it finally dropped a single mushroom. LOL Anyhow thanks for the shrooms... LOL. Had a good time last night when I have more time I will have to have some more of that crazy fermenting stuff you got laying around! LOL, thanks for inviting me over man! When I get my 996 we will race.. at the track... he he he he he