DIY Seio/Tunze stream - Lots of pics

impur

Ok played around a little more today. I picked up the maxijets from Sean. They have a lot more power. I'm going to have to figure out a good way to attach the prop as these maxijets have a different impeller than the ones they are using on RC.

P4290191.jpg

P4290192.jpg

P4290193.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It only works just barely under water right now. As it gets deeper the prop shoots out of the pump. Sometimes it starts the wrong way and just propells itself out too. So i am going to need to get a good shroud for it before i see the full possibility. Off to HD in a little bit!!

Ok here we go. I'm not done cutting the slots but its coming together nicely.

Here is the ABS fitting and PVC test cap i used

P4300194.jpg

The test cap has a lip just like the maxi intake

P4300195.jpg

A little chopping

P4300196.jpg

Mark slots

P4300197.jpg

P4300199.jpg

Hey Miles I got 2 900's laying around you could do if ya need more practice!!!! LOL. Looks good man. I have a mitre saw if ya need to use one. Maybe sometime we can hook up and make a bunch of shrouds. Later Ryan

That would be cool. I have a miter saw, but its in Roseburg so i just have to go pick it up. I picked up a few other fittings to use as shrouds for the 900. I'll be doing that one next with an octura prop. Its a little smaller, but has much more pitch to the blades. I got the prop all done and tried running it without a shroud and wow, those are even more powerful. Its pushing more than the 600.

These are gonna be perfect for my 55gal. I'm gonna work on the DIY seaswirl type mod next to connect them to.

I used some tiny zipties to secure the plane wheel to the end of the shroud. I drilled out the center of the plane wheel to accept the impeller shaft so that holds it into the pump. As it was without the plane wheel, once the prop started spinning the force of it pushing water kept it in the pump. I starts up the correct way about 75% of the time, so when i spins backwards i just stick my finger in there to stop it and it spins correctly. Obviously i need to install a stop for that problem. But since it needs to be brought to the surface of the water to start, i didn't incorporate a stopper. I figure i'll have it running continuously anyway.

I'll get ya a few more pics tonight.

With the battery powered dremel it took time, i could only cut about 1/4 of the slots at a time before the battery wore down. I need to take a short trip down to roseburg this week and i'll be picking up my miter saw, that should make it a real quick job. With the saw i'd say the whole process can be done in 20 minutes + glue time.

I will be once i get the shrouds cut the way i like. It will be like a seaswirl but not exactly the same. Some guys on RC are taking real slow motors, about 1-5rpm, and mounting them in a small project box. Then you extend a piece of PVC down thru the box into the tank and attach a powerhead to that, so the pump moves back and forth.

Well, I've finally got around to taking a few pics of my try at the mod. Here's what I managed:

DSC_6712.jpg

DSC_6713.jpg

DSC_6711.jpg

DSC_6710.jpg

DSC_6709.jpg

I made the shroud out of schedule 80 PVC. I used my table saw for cutting the shroud to length, cutting the groove for the "grabbers" on the Maxijet, and cutting the slits.

The crossbrace is styrene and the shaft is carbon fiber rod. I'm currently using an Octura 2035 (which I had to shave down, it was too much prop for this particular Maxijet motor) but plan on replacing it with an Octura 1435 when I can lay my hands on one.

It's really quiet and pumps a LOT of water. I'm sure it'll give even more flow when I get the new prop.