DIY Seio/Tunze stream - Lots of pics

impur

Ok so i've been following the maxijet mod over at RC and decided to take a crack at it. The idea is to take a maxijet and turn it into a Seio/Tunze type stream. I have a couple MJ1200 but from what i read they will be to much flow for my 55 i'm setting up. So...i'll be picking up a few MJ600-900 pumps from Sean for that. But for now, i have a crappy old Regent powerhead i thought i'd give it a try on. It actually works, how much flow, well its much more than the PH was. I still need to finish the shroud that covers the propeller. Well here is how I faired:

Walmart special

P4150113.jpg

P4150114.jpg

Impeller taken apart. This powerhead uses a floating magnet. Meaning it is not fixed to the stainless (and beginning to rust) shaft. The shaft stays put, the magnet and impeller spin around it.

P4150115.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i headed over to Eugene Toy and Hobby. Lack of inventory, so i made do with what was available and picked up an assortment of RC boat props. I also found these awesome wheels that will work great for securing the end of the shaft.

P4150111.jpg

Dumas boat prop try #1

P4150118.jpg

Impeller put back together DIY style

P4150119.jpg

Attempt #1 in water. It works great, moves decent amount of water. I used a scrap piece of 1.5" ABS as a shroud/nozzle and the flow really increased. It must direct it much better.

P4150121.jpg

One thing i noticed. There is no set direction for the prop to spin on this pump. Half the time it spins backward, the other half the proper way. If it spins backward, i have to make it stop and spin the other way with my fingers. A stop is going to need to be put in place to prevent the reverse spinning in the event of a power outage.

Anyway, on to the shroud. Scrap piece of 1.5" ABS fits almost perfect over the hole on the power head. So i used the dremel and made sure it would fit.

P4150127.jpg

Might as well use the parts available. This will be how i connect the shroud to the pump

P4150128.jpg

P4150129.jpg

Guest Ahbrit

Now that's DIY!!!!

i got a question though.....Why don't the manufacturers of these pumps do the same modifications and up their prices? (99% of people wouldn't know the simplicity of the change)

It doesn't work as well with the cover on. I think the prop needs to be farther out from the body of the pump. This should allow much more water to be taken in. I'm going to try making just a sort of basket to cover the prop. It moves a good amount of water for this tiny thing without the cover. I need to figure out some sort of stopper that the prop will hit if it starts spinning the wrong way. When it start the wrong way it almost pulls out of the pump. Then when i let it hit my finger it goes the right way. I want to get the MJs from Sean for a little more reliable pump. This thing only runs half the time anyway.

I'm going to order some .98" carbon fiber shafts today to extend it a bit. I'm also gonna work on finding a different cover, as this is the only prop i bought that fits inside this shroud. I think the other props are gonna move some serious water.

Looks good Miles! Sweet Job. How much flow do you think your getting out of them? Later Ryan

With the shroud it doesn't do much. When removed its moving a much wider stream of water so its hard to say. I'd guesstimate about double the gph just using that small prop. This powerhead was rated at 150gph i believe.

Ok got some stuff ordered, 48" of carbon fiber rod, and 4 more props just in case i mess up on a couple.

Carbon Fiber Rod, 24", .098 (2) [MID5707]

Plastic Prop,1/8":.19-.35 [DUM3003]

Plastic Prop,3/16":.19-.35 [DUM3004]

I'll be picking up a couple pumps from Sean this week too.

So i'll have 2 or so days till these arrive. Then its back to work!

I've done the maxijet mod. It works awesome. If you've been following the thread on RC, using 1.5 inch schedule80 works perfectly for the maxijets. I bought some and have like 20 extra shrouds. These are very nicely made, and fit perfectly on the maxijets. If you're interested in buying them, or trading them, pm me. THanks.

shroud.jpg

Nice! I didn't have any of the 1.5 PVC laying around so I went with the ABS and a smaller prop. Well heck its not even a maxijet!! LOL

DId you use the test cap or just cut the groove to mount to the MJ yourself? Did you use a miter saw for that? I'm going to have to use my dremel.

Can you show me a pic of your impeller/propeller on yours?

My great uncle is a machinist and he has a lathe. So, he cut the groove. The 1.5 inch pvc actually is too big on the outside, and too small on the inside. My great uncle actually trimmed the outside, and inside slightly so it fits perfectly. Then I made the slots on a table saw. There's also a notch at the top for the 1/4 inch acrylic end mount. I used a 1435 octura prop. I'll try to get pictures tonight.

Ahh lucky you! I think i'll go the easy route and use a test cap. I'll make a few shrouds, some with holes some with slots like yours. I have 4 more props coming, all Dumas. I do have a couple of the octura props too, i guess those are the ones that put out the major flow. Which prop gave you the most flow and easiest restarting?

• 2 weeks later...

Got home last night to find a package on my doorstep. Luckily it wasn't corals, stupid UPS delivery.

Goodies!!! 4 props and 48" of carbon fiber rods!

P4260190.jpg

I'll be doing some more work tonight!! Still need to pickup the maxijets from Sean.