southdown sand

tom_c55

If you can get a pallet or even better 2 put together' date=' I may know a freight outfit who will haul it depending on where it is.[/quote']

I have enough people looking to order at least a pallet. (Probably 2 with a group buy) The closest I could find it was Indiana.

what does it come out to be a pound? i might be interested.

My goal is to get it for 10 to 12 dollars per bag. The bags are 40 lbs. so it will come out to about a quarter a lb. if I can get the shipping low enough to hit the $10 mark.

What is it and why have I never heard of it???(scratch)

Sugar sized aragonite sand. It's marketed as White Tropical Play Sand. The bags say that it is not for aquarium use which is due to Carib Sea having an exclusive contract to sell it for aquarium use. Otherwise it is the same thing. I know it has a lot of calcium as my calcium went from 440 to 600 after I added a bag. It's down to the low 500's now but if I add any more I'll rinse it first as 600 is enough to throw the alkalinity off.

My goal is to get it for 10 to 12 dollars per bag. The bags are 40 lbs. so it will come out to about a quarter a lb. if I can get the shipping low enough to hit the $10 mark.

Sugar sized aragonite sand. It's marketed as White Tropical Play Sand. The bags say that it is not for aquarium use which is due to Carib Sea having an exclusive contract to sell it for aquarium use. Otherwise it is the same thing. I know it has a lot of calcium as my calcium went from 440 to 600 after I added a bag. It's down to the low 500's now but if I add any more I'll rinse it first as 600 is enough to throw the alkalinity off.

and I find myself needing sand soon too(laugh). I hadn't even started looking but I knew I either wanted very fine white sand or maybe black sand. I'll keep an eye on what this thread is doing incase I want in too...(clap)

Airfreight might be an option assuming they can't put together a truck over. I am not sure what the cost difference would be but to airfreight around 100lbs of non-live goods I think it is between $20-$30. So if you had 25ish bags at 1000lbs that would be roughly $200-$300 or so in shipping. at $5 a bag with shipping being split it would come out to around $12-$17 a bag.

I used southdown but don't really like it. Its so small that it blows around really easily. And the scratches it puts in glass.......But its cheap and white. I never had it increase my calcium and had never heard of that, but sounds like a good bonus.

Anyway good luck with the group buy!

I used southdown but don't really like it. Its so small that it blows around really easily. And the scratches it puts in glass.......But its cheap and white. I never had it increase my calcium and had never heard of that, but sounds like a good bonus.

Anyway good luck with the group buy!

I didn't rinse it which I think is why the calcium jumped so high. It's down to a reasonable level now (5 or 6 weeks). The salt I use normally keeps the calcium up in the mid 400's (Or that was where it was before the tank swap anyway). Initially the tank was pretty cloudy and for a few weeks everytime I moved something it would turn cloudy for awhile (I have 4000 GPH plus of flow in the display) but it settled now and I can move things around with nothing more than a small plume that settles right away. I moved rocks around an hour so ago and it's just as clear now as ever.

Note: Bob, if you have a lead on someone to help with shipping it would be great. The shipping cost is the only thing keeping me from getting a group buy started. If I had time I would drive back there and pick it up to keep the cost down. (With 2000 lbs. I think I could get it to $10 a bag that way)

I am definately still in. where do you have to drive to to cut down on shipping?

Ps sorry about the splitting of the post

Indiana is the closest I've found it. I have another member checking on shipping right now for 2000 lbs. through a freight company they use. If that looks reasonable I'll see what kind of deal either place (a couple of them I found) will do on that kind of quantity. (Should be able to get a price break on that much I would think)