southdown sand

tom_c55

Okay, I had to go a different route but it looks like I can get this started tomorrow.(Need to verify the minimum which I think was 2500 lbs.) Instead of coming from back east I'll be getting it in from Canada through a local company. It will be bulk white pure calcium carbonate sand and appears to be the same stuff as the Southdown Sand. I took a sample and did the vinegar test on it and it passes, the feel and texture is the same as the bag of Southdown I recently put in as well. Tomorrow I'll be getting 25 lbs. when I check the quantity we need to order and putting it into one of my tanks so everyone can see what it looks like. The good news is that the cost will only be 28 cents a pound as long as we reach the minimum.

Okay, another quick update. The figure I originally posted in the previous post was a little low. Once we figured it out it came to 28 cents a pound as long as we get 2000 lbs. at a time. I'll be starting a separate thread for people to sign up. Once we reach 2000 lbs. we can have it here in about a week. We also will have a choice between grain sizes as well so I'll need some input on what everyone wants. Whatever we decide though everyone in the buy will need to accept the same size. If we have enough to get 4000 lbs. then we can choose 2 different grain sizes.

If anyone is in a big hurry I have 2 50 lb. bags available now to the first person or persons that can come get it. $15 for each bag.

Okay, another quick update. The figure I originally posted in the previous post was a little low. Once we figured it out it came to 28 cents a pound as long as we get 2000 lbs. at a time. I'll be starting a separate thread for people to sign up. Once we reach 2000 lbs. we can have it here in about a week. We also will have a choice between grain sizes as well so I'll need some input on what everyone wants. Whatever we decide though everyone in the buy will need to accept the same size. If we have enough to get 4000 lbs. then we can choose 2 different grain sizes.

If anyone is in a big hurry I have 2 50 lb. bags available now to the first person or persons that can come get it. $15 for each bag.

Rick i'll take it off your hands. both of them, setting up tank in a week.

pm send

That sounds good to me. I know I am looking for pretty small stuff but have never really had it. Maybe someone can weigh in on how they like it if they have had it. I will be having some heavier flow in the tank but most of it will come through the bottom of the tank so nothing directly at the sand per say.

I was thinking about 300lbs to be safe. I want to have at least a 3" sandbed in a tank with a 48"x36" footprint. think that will be enough with a bit to spare?

I'm gonna need something for that 150 bow front I just picked up ... you guys gonna be at the gathering next weekend? I was thinking I wanted to use sand but I'd like the chance to talk it over with you guys before I commit. NOOB... how much you think I would need?

This links calculator isn't exact but it will get you very close...

http://reefcentral.com/index.php/sand-bed-calculator

• Like 1

don't suppose you know the pounds per cubic foot? Sounds like I'd need 200-250lbs depending on that weight. not too bad at that price.

I don't but my thought process was if it is smaller grains then it will pack in tighter meaning heavier per square foot so I would go with more then less thats for sure. It sounds like we aren't going to be getting a price this low again for a long time so better to buy too much then not enough right?(daz):confused:

When I calculated mine I came out to about 250 at 90lbs and 210 at 70 lbs, so I figured by more just in case.

That sounds good to me. I know I am looking for pretty small stuff but have never really had it. Maybe someone can weigh in on how they like it if they have had it. I will be having some heavier flow in the tank but most of it will come through the bottom of the tank so nothing directly at the sand per say.

I was thinking about 300lbs to be safe. I want to have at least a 3" sandbed in a tank with a 48"x36" footprint. think that will be enough with a bit to spare?

FWIW, I like the way the sugar sized sand looks in the tank and it's better for sand shifting creatures than the bigger stuff. It does need to be rinsed first before using it otherwise it will cloud up the tank for several days. It could also boost calcium too high which I found out with the southdown bag I added (My calcium went clear up to 600ppm and it took about 2 weeks to completely clear up). I put 25 lbs. into my growout tank and another 25 into my display last friday of this after rinsing it. The tanks did get cloudy but not to the point that I couldn't see anything and it took about 4 hours to clear up. Saturday I was able to clean the glass which inevitably stirs up the front of the sand and it settled back down within a few minutes. My turnover is around 5000 GPH between both tanks (190g total). The tanks are tied into the same system which is why the figures include both. I would estimate that 80% of the sand in my display is now the sugar size stuff and I do not have any problems with it getting stirred up. I can rearrange the rocks or even move the sand around a bit and it will still clear up within minutes.

That said it will depend on what the majority wants. I'm not opposed to going a little bigger. I'm hoping to have the samples tomorrow or tuesday so I can post up some pictures. I plan to kick this off tomorrow even if I don't have them yet though to get the ball rolling.

how much is the sand going for? Ive been thinking of adding a remote DSB in like a 10 gallon tank. That is if you are going to have any leftovers.

As long as I order it 2000 lbs. at a time it will be 28 cents per pound. 50 lbs. will come out to $14.

I am down with sugar sized sand as well though I don't mind a slightly larger size either.

Rick, put me down for 400lbs

Is this going to be individually bagged? 50lb bags?

Thanks,

It will be BYOB(bring your own bucket). It will be coming in one big bag on a pallet. My plan is to put about 50 lbs in each bucket and then just swap buckets. If someone doesn't have enough buckets I can get them for a dollar or two each. They may be able to bag it for extra but if so the size may need to be larger.