Sodium Bicarbonate at LFS?

half-astronaut

Considering the material safety data sheet of Arm and Hammer baking soda says 100% sodium bicarbonate and the only possible impurity in the sodium bicarbonate synthesis  process is sodium chloride, I highly recommend in this one case that you just stick to Arm and Hammer. Anything else is likely just repackaged Arm and Hammer. Snd even in all of the chemical reactions that I can think of that sodium bicarbonate is used for, I can’t really think of many that are sensitive to extremely low sodium chloride impurities, hence even the lab grade sodium bicarbonate will with most probably not be much if any better.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, half-astronaut said:

You think they synthesize bicarbonate from scratch? I think it's mostly mined, or made from mined soda ash. SDS and ingredient lists don't list contaminants. My understanding is there can be significant amounts of aluminum contamination. 

That’s a myth. As long as you buy baking soda and not baking powder there’s 0 chance you’ll get any aluminum in your tank.

And on another note, people with their chemipure blocks already end up getting high quantities of aluminum in their tank. If you already use GFO or have macro algae in your tank you’d be somewhat fine with small amounts of aluminum even then. But that was _if_ you had aluminum in your tank somehow. 

Baking soda, however, is almost entirely synthesized unless you’re specifically buying “all natural” ones that are mined. It’s simply too cheap to produce baking soda synthetically, and much more expensive to mine it.

• Like 2

You should be just fine with using the good old arm and hammer stuff, I've been using it for 5 years and have gotten icp tests done at least twice a year. Never had aluminum or any other toxic metal show up from it. I tend to turn the bicarbonate into carbonate so it becomes twice as soluble and also helps push up the ph in the tank at the same time as the alkalinity.

The only time I've ever seen aluminum spike is when I tried a marine pure block in the sump. My aluminum went from close to nothing to toxic after just 3 weeks due to the blocks being made from aluminum silicate.

• Like 3

I never said NOT to use it.... Just didn't know the person's confidence level not using an out of the bottle product.

In my experience, advising something that doesn't have directions on the container and the amount dosed could be misinterpreted, is more risky. Which is why I suggested the fritz stuff.