Any Regrets Taking a Break From Reef Keeping?

ocboat

I've had a tank for so long I can't even remember the last time I took a break from the hobby.  We are currently remodeling our home and soon will come time to do something about the room that the tank is currently set up in.  I'm either going to have to to temporarily house my livestock while the room is being worked on and then set up in generally the same place, or sell everything and take a break for a while.  The idea of not having a tank is very appealing especially since our kids are now both grown and we plan to travel more but I'm very attached to a few things in the tank.  I have a 13 year old Magnifica anemone that is hosting a breeding pair of clowns for almost that entire time.  These animals have been through all the up and downs that the tank has been through throughout the years.  I also have another healthy Magnifica as well as two Giganteas that I know will be very hard to replace if I want to get back in sometime.  I guess I'm just looking for a little advice one way or another from other reefers that have had to make the same decision.

I took a break for 7-8 years a while back after a majano infestation cost me my previous tank.  While I did enjoy a certain amount of relief not having to stress about the tank i also missed it quite a bit.  I used to go into Cuttlefish and Coral on a regular basis just to check out their stock for several years before I actually got another tank up and running.  That said, it was probably the right time to take a break for me and I can't say I regret it strongly. On the other hand, I had already lost everything I was attached to so was going to be starting over completely from scratch anyway.  I probably would have a much harder time of it if I had a setup and livestock that I was happy with and doing well at the time - much harder to pull the plug under those circumstances I think.

Did a remodel in 2010 maybe 09 cant remember............ended up selling it all and going with no tank for years.........then one day got the bug again and am back.......

I think it all depends how you feel as you said no tank sounds good as you want to travel.......

• Like 1

It is good and bad...for lots of reasons...many stated above.

It is also inevitable.

That being said, I guess I like to end a tank on good terms rather than bad...if possible:)

Most of my tanks make it with me for maybe like 3-7 years. And pretty much all of my previous tanks i adopted out a huge amount of livestock....a little painful yes, but at least you can find really good tanks for these creatures so far from their native homes.

Life happens.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am currently on a break right now and this is is the second time I have taken a break.  There are corals and fish I get attached to. Jeff is keeping my jawbreaker right now lol. Often I find if  I sell my stuff in the forum I can find it back later.

I have no regrets as I was traveling a lot when I took the take down. It was nice to have the freedom of not worrying about the tank or leaving others to care for it. It was nice to be able to spend the hour for a walk and not on tank maintenance. It’s nice after a long day to not have to come home and check on the tank. It’s also nice to declutter all the buckets and tubing and supplements . 

I do miss the people and community but I still see so many people who have become lifelong friends. This is why Sirena and I are helping Jeff with the Cinco de Mayo celebration.

• Like 1

Well I’ve taken multiple “breaks” and for me it typically is due to not having time, the line of work I’m in can get crazy so it’s nice to not have one when it’s busy but I always end up coming back. It’s weird to not have a tank but when traveling or working 60 hour weeks it’s nice to come home and not have to fuss with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1