Red Sea reefer 350 sump return line help

Lazyreefer

Hello everyone, hoping I can get some insight into this because I can’t get it to work. It seems like the o-ring that seals the return outlets so they can return water back into the display isn’t sealing or something else is happening because the flow out of the return nozzles is extremely weak and there’s almost no overflow into the sump... wondering if anyone has ran into this or if it’s just simply the o-ring. Thanks for anyone’s help with this!!

It’s an Eco1056 return pump. It was working totally fine then during the water change I would turn it on and it would do this then I would retighten that seal I was talking about and it would work after like 2 times of rescrewing that down. I just took out the return pump and totally cleaned it and still doing same thing. It’s a flexible return line from return pump so don’t see any blockage.

Edited by Lazyreefer

1 hour ago, Lazyreefer said:

It’s an Eco1056 return pump. It was working totally fine then during the water change I would turn it on and it would do this then I would retighten that seal I was talking about and it would work after like 2 times of rescrewing that down. I just took out the return pump and totally cleaned it and still doing same thing. It’s a flexible return line from return pump so don’t see any blockage.

If it happens after the pump has been off during a water change I'd assume it's something with the pump, I wouldn't keep tightening the redsea plumbing, it can be over tighten very easily which will cause it to start leaking eventually. 

Edited by CrazyInside

This sounds like it could be an occlusion in the return line, like the operculum from a snail, for example. Under pressure, the object is sometimes forced flat, resulting in very little flow. Occasionally, it gets lodged sideways, allowing near-normal flow past it. This could be tricky to diagnose and clear. A piece of something rigid but flexible like rigid airline could help you probe the return near 45s, 90s, bulkhead fittings and places where the return plumbing narrows.

Had a similar problem years ago with a limpet shell lodged near an inflow bulkhead fitting.

Another hypothesis: Is there any possibility that this pump was plugged into a 30-amp circuit instead of a 20?

Good luck with working this problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrazyInside said:

If it happens after the pump has been off during a water change I'd assume it's something with the pump, I wouldn't keep tightening the redsea plumbing, it can be over tighten very easily which will cause it to start leaking eventually. 

That’s what I am starting to think too and yea I’ve heard that about these that’s why I was concerned as well. 

1 hour ago, IntoTheMystic said:

This sounds like it could be an occlusion in the return line, like the operculum from a snail, for example. Under pressure, the object is sometimes forced flat, resulting in very little flow. Occasionally, it gets lodged sideways, allowing near-normal flow past it. This could be tricky to diagnose and clear. A piece of something rigid but flexible like rigid airline could help you probe the return near 45s, 90s, bulkhead fittings and places where the return plumbing narrows.

Had a similar problem years ago with a limpet shell lodged near an inflow bulkhead fitting.

Another hypothesis: Is there any possibility that this pump was plugged into a 30-amp circuit instead of a 20?

Good luck with working this problem.

Hmm very possible it is a limpet I guess i do have good sized ones I have seen on the return nozzle at times. Also I have to admit Ive neglected paying attention to the circuits never ran into that before I will check that as well thanks for the help!!

38 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I have a waterproof endoscope that can be used to inspect the inside of pipes.  I'm in Beaverton if you want to borrow it to see what's inside your return line.

See: https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi-rigid-Inspection-Waterproof-Adjustable/dp/B00STB0EW6

That seems like it could be really useful I appreciate that if nothing ive thought of works I’ll definitely give that a try thanks 🤜🏻

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lazyreefer said:

That’s what I am starting to think too and yea I’ve heard that about these that’s why I was concerned as well. 

Hmm very possible it is a limpet I guess i do have good sized ones I have seen on the return nozzle at times. Also I have to admit Ive neglected paying attention to the circuits never ran into that before I will check that as well thanks for the help!!

That seems like it could be really useful I appreciate that if nothing ive thought of works I’ll definitely give that a try thanks 🤜🏻

You can swap out the return pump to see if it fixes the problem. Would be the quickest way to diagnose a pump or a blockage peoblem. If you don’t have an extra return pump I’m sure someone on here would let you borrow one. Or even @CuttleFishandCoral since you’re out that way. 

Edited by CrazyInside

1 hour ago, CrazyInside said:

You can swap out the return pump to see if it fixes the problem. Would be the quickest way to diagnose a pump or a blockage peoblem. If you don’t have an extra return pump I’m sure someone on here would let you borrow one. Or even @CuttleFishandCoral since you’re out that way. 

Yea I got it to work semi back to normal but it’s still not flowing super strong through the filter socks and sump like it was before think I will replace the return pump with a dcp8000 as this one is old anyways. 

• Like 1

eco plus pumps are total asian garbage, that probably has something to do with it. They just have an AWFUL time trying to start flow if they go even a little dry. Likely there are bubbles getting into the pump body when the flow runs backward after you shut the pump down.

get a mag pump or a pondmaster.. same deal but many times better.
I have thrown away about 13 eco plus pumps in my lifetime. None of them were over a year old. I just got them at wholesale

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my experience there is nothing wrong with eco plus pumps, mag drive/danner and pondmaster are no better and in my personal experience don't last as long under harsh conditions like year round ponds, they are all Chinese garbage and probably made in  the same factory. I've had eco plus run for many years where mag drive die after 1-2 years. In saltwater that may change. That said pumps are electric and will fail eventually. My red sea nano pump is getting weak after less than 2 years and doesn't like to restart half the time, even after a thorough cleaning. 

1 hour ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

In my experience there is nothing wrong with eco plus pumps, mag drive/danner and pondmaster are no better and in my personal experience don't last as long under harsh conditions like year round ponds, they are all Chinese garbage and probably made in  the same factory. I've had eco plus run for many years where mag drive die after 1-2 years. In saltwater that may change. That said pumps are electric and will fail eventually. My red sea nano pump is getting weak after less than 2 years and doesn't like to restart half the time, even after a thorough cleaning. 

Yea that makes sense. I actually think that it is the pump and have a dcp8000 on the way. Even if it’s not I have no backup pump so I will be fine with it as a backup. Thanks for the info 👌🏻

18 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

eco plus pumps are total asian garbage, that probably has something to do with it. They just have an AWFUL time trying to start flow if they go even a little dry. Likely there are bubbles getting into the pump body when the flow runs backward after you shut the pump down.

get a mag pump or a pondmaster.. same deal but many times better.
I have thrown away about 13 eco plus pumps in my lifetime. None of them were over a year old. I just got them at wholesale

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yea I wasn’t aware of what pump it was for the longest then found the box and researched and seems like people have problems. I am going with a jebao dcp8000 which a lot of people seem to be very fond of. If this one craps out I am just going with a reef octopus or vectra and not messing around with it anymore is my thinking on it🤷🏻‍♂️