Reefnjunkie's 400 gallon inwall

reefnjunkie

I hear ya Brad' date=' we(that always means [b']me[/b])had to put up all new blinds, paint/wallpaper border & chair rail molding downstairs because my wife said it looked like it was furnished in "contemporary Brady Bunch" I love the Brady Bunch I mumbled to myself (while I was working)

Tank build looks great!

I like the Brady Bunch look or maybe its just realizing how much work is involved which makes ou accept the look. It was a little dark and I am really happy with the outcome-STILL waiting on her to choose the dang trim though, but thats ok I have plenty of work to do in the garage.

It's coming a long nicely brad

Thanks Jose, yours is as well!

Awesome Brad' date=' Its hard to grasp how much work you have done, well done, really looking forward to seeing the progression and final outcome...If you ever need any help moving heavy things, you know I am able...[/quote']

Thanks David, the tank will be moved at least once before it gets to it fianl spot, I may shout out for a hand, but I am told it wont be "that" heavy (scratch)

Looks great' date=' what kind of flooring you doing?[/quote']

Man I hope you are pulling my leg.... In the family room, it is new carpet (whistle) in the garage, its staying "concrete slab" like the rest of the house.

I dont think it really will be a "fishroom" per se, I am more just building a wall to seperate about 1/3 to 1/2 the garage so there is less dust etc. The area where the tank will be will have a table/bench area that will house a frag tank and a Q/T but no sink or some of the other things I have seen in peoples "fish rooms".

• 2 weeks later...
So whats going on with the tank build? Any updates!

All four sides are done, bottom goes on tomorrow, then overflow and top, been busy wiring garage with electrical or I should say demoing the old sheet rock walls and ceiling and fishing wires to where the outlets will be and getting the sub panel situated-

Slow progress with all the other "lifes" chores

I'll get a few pics uploaded tomorrow

Well I am not much further along but the tank has all four sides and the bottom-

So much to do with this project-basiclly a remodel on 1/3rd of the garage too-(flame)

Well the good news is the trim is getting picked up tomorrow and hopefully the top gets cut and glued this weekend.

On top of it all I got a 40th birthday party in the plans and trying to do this, finish the remodel, start a remodel (garage) and prep for feeding and hydrating 110 people is taking some time-Man I cant wait for September

sorry no pics of the sides being glued

front being glued (skipped the back pic)

IMG_2933.jpg

and a couple after getting the bottom on-you can see the fins for the drain, it runs almost 48" along the backside which will have external over flow box utilizing the bean animal. This way the entire tank is open inside;

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

So basiclly its a single day to do 1 part, and fitting this in without trying to take someones entire weekend (thank you for your time (icon)Wanareef) causes the build to span some time-wich is good for me becuase I have plenty of other things to get done.

Patience-

in denial

OK I think I may have accumulated a little to much LR.

I had to siphon the bottom of the 100 gallon tub the live rock has been curing in for the last few months-the picture does not show the scale well, as most of these pieces are pretty large, the one on the right is larger than the kent bucket in the background, then that piece on the left is as long and almost as wide in some parts as that 32 gallon rubbermaid can-(nutty)

the one piece on the right all by itself is the size of a large honeydew melon plus this does not take into consideration the 250 pounds I have in my 150

I think I have too much-DOH!

We got the top openings cut (3 openings) and the top glued on, next will be routering all the sides/top/bottom and then attaching the external overflow that runs 48x8x9

IMG_2942.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates??

Nothing really as far as getting things set up-The tank is finished, and now I am working on wiring in the sub panel, and sheet rocking the garage. I am hoping by the end of October now with all the other stuff I got needing to get done.

Its A LOT more than I work on paper than it was in my head, especially since the time spent on it is being squeezed in with everyting else. If all goes well I will be sheetrocking next weekend and moving the tank into place the following, then...then...then.. (laugh) the list is long

By Christmas for sureDOH!

• 2 weeks later...
What is the plan to handle the humidity & heat?

Can't wait to see this thing come to life!

I plan to frame in a wall AC unit to handle any heat issues but since I will be running LEDs I am hoping that wont be much of an issue-I have a brand new 1hp chiller I bought when I was going Metal Halide and I am holding onto it to be safe.

Just a quick update-the tank itself has been finished for about 3 weeks-Here it is sitting on its front and the rear overflow is what you see on the top. It still needs to be drilled for the bean animal overflow I will be using;

IMG_3028.jpg

I am working on the garge portion now that will be the "fish room"

Its not really a "fish room" but I plan to frame in a wall that will take up about 1/2 of my garage. You will walk out the door that presently goes into the garage (shwon in below pics) into a room (after the wall is built) that will house the tank, Q/T tank. Frag tank etc but still have my freezer and refer.

Jon came over yesterday and we (yes I do help a little) got most of the ceiling and walls up and mudded. It needs one more coat of mud and then I was having hime texture but am thinking twice on the texture part.

Some before and after;

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3025.jpg

IMG_3018.jpg

IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

Looks good brad, Hey I still have some 2x4 wall insulation if you want it and a box of texture mud, I just used a little out of. I wouldnt mind dropping it by and check out the build, let me know or if anyone else needs it send me a PM, hate to just toss it

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well the day has finally came-After having to tear the stand apart becuase my floor was so unlevel and rebuilding the stand the day finally came to expose the wall and get the tank in place

P1120205.jpg

P1120208.jpg

Well a little copy n paste was in order-(whistle)

Wanted to give aBIG shout out to Rgrcrain, Hozer21, and Kris(icon) for coming over today(rock2) and helping me move my 400 gallon(clap) onto its stand and into the wall.(Rim)

Just a little tweaking (comp)and it fit(yahoo)

IMG_3123.jpg

And at the rate my RO/DI unit is working it should be full by Monday-DOH!

IMG_3124.jpg

Anyway I really appreciate them coming out and helping and thanks to all the others that offered-I am here for ya when you need help-dont hesitate to askthumbsupanimated.gif

Looks good man cant wait to see it fully stocked. Let me know when you want to start puting rock in it I can give you a hand if you need or want. We will just need to plan ahead again like we did for the tank. I am more happy to help when ever I can.