MIKES 210 GALLON ENDEAVOR

fishmanmike01

Well as you have probabally have read I purchased the 210 gallon system from DJ_gianntti. I purchased this with a partner (my father) as I rent and do not have the room for it in my current house(sad), it will be set up at his place until i can find a house to give it a permanent home. Hopefully soon!!

Also in the future is a nice propagation system that is in the planning stages.This will remain at his house as he has a large unused basement perfect for such an operation.

Moveing day is sunday,It is an hour drive from Albany to Mcminnville and would like any suggestions on how to transport all the livestock and keep the water warm.Our ideas at this point are to use large rubbermaid tubs(like cow troughs)in a trailer and have a generator in the back of the truck to power heaters. Any other suggestions?

This is just my experience with moving and opinion. With that being said I think the rubbermaid will work. What I did was take a cooler and a cassarole dish. Placed new sand in dish and put all corals in there. Placed all my LR surrounding the dish, Filled cooler with tank water, drilled hole in top of cooler for battery powered air pump (because I was moving fish as well) and drove. It took 15 hours to get here and I lost nothing. no heater was used.

My experience

I moved a 120 gallon tank and all the livestock 4 hours from MD to PA a couple of years ago. I had (2) 30 gallon igloo coolers for the most important livestock and than I just put the rest of the hardier stuff in (2) trashcans. I moved in late spring so temperatures were a lot warmer than now. The trailer you have an enclosed one? If not I would think the generator and heaters are a must.

I still have one of the coolers I moved stuff in that you can borrow. Looks like the one in the following pic.

p26455z.jpg

I moved my 125 in wthe winnter also i used large rubermaid tubs baged all the fish and corals and put them in packing box's from the lfs.No heater or air pumps it was a two hour move we brought back all most all the water.Take all the sand out and bag it up so you dont stir it up and all should be fine nice tank good luck with the move it's allways fun.

This is not as long of a move as I did, but it's bigger. It would be best if you could setup a running system to place everything into after moving but before you can setup the full system. This could be rubbermaids or something. And if you could move it in parts it would be easier. It's hard for me to give better advice without knowing more details about the livestock and hardware that is to be moved.

It's a big move, take your time if you can.

Mike call Nick at Rose City. He may have some old shipping boxes that are styrofoam lined. Take as many as you can get. Double bag all of the livestock you can. I have some bags if you need them. Make sure you take newpaper to get wet with tank water and cover the liverock with it. Use as much as you can, this will help keep the live stuff alive on the rock. You should also go to a sporting goods store and buy a bunch of hand warmers to put in with you live stock after they are bagged. This will help keep them warm. Set up a big container of water at your father's house tonight, or tomorrow with saltwater to put your stock into when you get it home. Make sure you leave enough room in the container for some of the water from the 210 you are moving. Put a heater and poswerhead int he container and then put the livestock in it. It is imperative to get the tank set up and going as soon as possible after you get it home. Man I don't envy you guys with this move.

With the big tubs I plan on keeping all the liverock in water as well as most of the coral. I will call nick though thanks for that idea. We will be moveing a 125 in order to get in the 210 so most everything will remain in the tubs for atleast a day or two and i plan on keeping atleast 75-80% of the original water.