Sponsors buying livestock from Classified section

ahreno

This is such a joke! Jason is just like the rest of us ,but he turned his passion into a business. When I needed to get rid of stuff from my tank I went to him. I thought I would be helping both of us out. And it did! I got rid of of what I needed gone for the price I wanted and he got a good deal on some stuff he could turn around and make a profit on. With all of the deals he has given me (and I know I am not the only one) I saw nothing wrong with it. His money is just as good as the rest of us. He can buy what he wants! I could go on and on, pretty irritated about this. Anyways I will see you soon Jason, hang in there!

Justin and Teresa

I take offense to this, this is a personal attack on any LFS owner. As well as your constant referrance to "rediculous priced LFS's". We charge what we must to stay in business, how is that rediculous?

PNWMAS is not a dictatorship, thus it should not be run like a dictatorship. If a seller wants to sell to someone, they should be allowed to sell. Let them decide.

Consider you going and buying JUST the LE corals (I never read the classifieds thread, so I could be wrong) did you ever consider that Frank doesnt want to be left with only his "not so cool corals"? Its just like a wholesaler, they have minimums because they dont want someone cherry picking the 2-3 amazing items, only to lose out on an order that could also include hundreds of other items.

Kent should quit selling to Petco, Marinedepot and F&S. They buy too much at a time so they get it for less, its just not fair to the rest of us (sarcasm included).

I have never bought anything from the classifieds on this board, but I would do so without hesitation to make a profit. I try to pay my employees, and keep the power on, so if I see fit I will buy from whomever.

Joel... I like you man, i buy stuff from you everytime i'm in portland even though the first thing i bought from you died two days later (tunicate). I have nothing ill to say about you or your store so don't take offense to what i said, i was referring to my local stores here. $25 for a small frag of pulsing xenia is gouging in my book.

It's obvious what side of the argument store owners are going to be on. And you're right it's not a dictatorship which is why i posted this thread... to see what other people thought. I've said numerous times throughout this thread that i completely understand both sides of the argument. I should have every right to post a topic like this without being personally criticized by people (not saying you did it but plenty of others have). I'm not demanding change or threatening or making anything personal towards anyone. I simply stated an opinion and asked for conversation around it.

Frank made no mention of minimums or having to buy commoon coral to get the LE stuff.

Your point about Kent is completely off base. How about this example. You and the other LFS all have your sources for corals. How would you feel if Petco came in and bought EVERYTHING from them, marked it up 100% and then turned around and expected you to not care about it or even express your opinion? Or what if Tyree bought up everything that came in off the docks slapped his name on it and LE after it and made you buy from him? Thats a more realistic point.

Where do you think the LE corals come from? That's what happens. He gets in with suppliers that not all of us can and grabs cherry stuff and then puts a wacked out name to it with LE after that. Try finding the stuff he sells out there for an affordable price. I don't get any better deal on it then you would buying it from him. But I also don't complain that I do not have the resources, funds, or connections to get the super cool stuff like that either. He has the hook-ups, I don't. That's life.

Not to be too personal. But it seems like you are the only one that has a problem with this. Were you going to buy his stuff? And if you wanted to buy all of it because you might have had enough money in the old bank account to do it that would be wrong? I don't care who buys what and in all reallity, either should you. Don't get me wrong. It is very important that everyone has an opinion of their own wether we agree with each other or not. But with this situation, maybe it would have been better to just voice your opinion and leave it at that instead of implying something should be done about sponsors buying stuff in the classifieds. Throughout this ordeal, I have wondered if it would have made any difference if El Salvador was selling just your plain jane, everyday stuff and I wanted to buy all of it. I would be willing to bet one of my Ferraris or my leer jet that no one would have noticed or even gave it a second look. Think about it!

Im glad Jason is looking into picking up all the livestock. He is taking ALL the risk and will be able to offer the rest of us some fantastic pieces of the reef at even better prices than if he picked them up from anyone offering an LE name. Kudos to him for having the intelligence to check this awesome forum to help us all.

And just to be fair. I offered to buy El Salvador's WHOLE system livestock and dry goods so I am not just cherry picking all of his livestock. So maybe this will help some of you feel better about this situation. Where the heck is CCR? He never stays out of these kind of threads(whistle)

Here is my point guys. There is plenty of people on this site that buy corals from other people here on the site or from the LFS and turn around and frag them or sell them as they are and turn a profit. Does anyone complain about that? Nope. Why? Because it doesn't matter. If anything' date=' me as a store owner should be upset about that. But I'm not. It is going to happen no matter what. So what I don't get is this. If someone on this site that was not a sponsor went ahead and bought all of El Salvador's suff, that's okay? I am going to throw out a name just because I don't think he would care anyways and if he does, I sincerely apologize. Randy S use to spend some time looking for the rare, cool, and quality corals to buy from individuals and the LFS. He would then take them and usually frag them out and resell them. I use to occasionally sell stuff to him if I had anything he was interested in. I knew what he was doing with them. That was his business what he did with them. That doesn't mean that I should not sell him stuff because he would buy it for $150.00 and by the time it was all gone he sold it all for $400.00. Don't shut out the stores for stepping up and buying stuff. I could drop my sponsorship, lie, and still buy all of his stuff. But I shouldn't have to do that. Just my .02c.[/quote']

No worries Sully, I am a perfect example!

This thread is absolutely absurd, the classified should be first come first serve period.

The only reason this thread was started is that someone is upset that they did not get the deal first. A truly selfish post, no consideration has been given to the seller who may need to sell his livestock/equipment ASAP! Some posters would rather the seller suffer and not sell his items until all non commercial parties have had their chance to pick the reef clean, it’s just a joke.

All sellers are allowed to post items for sale for the amount that they want if a shop owner wants to pay asking price good for them and great for the seller.

I have personally had a lot of positive transactions with all the lfs and tons of local reefers and see no differences between the two. I have had just as many local reefers quote me more then I wanted to pay for something just to find it at a shop later for less.

On the other hand I have told local shops about corals they have had in there shop that would sell for top dollar on line and they still have sold the item locally and for a lot less.

It would be a shame for our board to ban shop owners from shopping our classifieds and in the long run hurt the reefers trying to sell their items.

• Like 1

I dont know if i would have bought his stuff. The stuff i wanted didn't have a price.

If i'm the only one that feels this way is fine. Thats why i posted my original post. It wasn't only in response to what happened today... I've seen it happen other times as well. It always has irked me. Other people have commented that it is something that should be discussed. The majority of people commenting here has been people from stores so of course they're going to be on one side. Even if I am the only person in the world that sees some issues with this it doesn't give anyone the right to personally attack or insult me.

This is a discussion board and thats what i wanted to have a discussion about this. I made various suggestions that I personally would like to see implemented to be discussed. My suggestion about giving paid members a perk in terms of buying is a good suggestion and way to help the club grow.

To me it doesn't matter if he was selling common stuff or LE stuff... I see a larger picture here where it becomes a common thing for stores coming here and buying up the majority of things to resell to the public. If other users of the site or the board members don't see an issue with that... then thats fine. I have no problem with it happening. If it bothers me enough i'm free to go to a different site. It doesn't really bother me that much though I was just looking to discuss it to see if anyone else felt the same way.

I'd be surprised if any people would come in and express their opinions out of fear of a couple things. 1. damaging their relationship with the stores they rely on. and/or 2. the way i was personally attacked and criticized for voicing my opinion on it.

Im glad Jason is looking into picking up all the livestock. He is taking ALL the risk and will be able to offer the rest of us some fantastic pieces of the reef at even better prices than if he picked them up from anyone offering an LE name. Kudos to him for having the intelligence to check this awesome forum to help us all.

You do know he claims these are for his show tank and not to resell... so in effect he's taking these out of the local market as opposed to making more available. Also what makes you think he's would sell them any cheaper than he got them right from Tyree?

The only reason this thread was started is that someone is upset that they did not get the deal first. A truly selfish post

Really man? You sure about that? You're an expert on my thinking and reasoning? What right do you have to make that statement about me ? I dont even know how much he wanted for the piece i was interested in. He could have wanted $5000 for it for all I know. Not to mention - I leave for the midwest for two weeks tomorrow so there's no real possible way for me to have gotten up to portland and back down here with the coral. Which pretty much means there's no way i could have gotten this deal even if it was available to me. So no offense but you're omniscient statement about my intentions is pretty much 100% wrong.

Enough whining. I am done with your crap! Grow up. For being 29 years old, you act like a selfish baby. Nobody is "attacking you"! You would not have posted anything if he was selling some plain rock, a yellow tang, some xenia, and some damsels and I wanted to buy it all. As far as I am concerned, this has gone on long enough and should be shut down. You missed out on some cool stuff and you are mad! Bottom line! You could have just as easily said what you wanted to buy when he posted it. Who cares if he didn't put the price down. It didn't stop me from saying I would take it all. He had nice stuff for sale. I wanted some nice stuff. I said I would buy it from him. It sounds pretty simple to me. So stop crying about how everyone is attacking you. So far everyone has the same view other than you. You missed out and your mad. Get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

How am i being selfish or whining? Like i said there is no realistic way for me to have gotten these corals from him. My first post doesn't even mention this specific circumstance. You did personally attack me... if you really cant remember flying off the handle earlier (which you even apologized for) I would go through and copy/quote the things you've said. I don't care enough to.

All i wanted was to hear what others thought... there were plenty of people that agreed this was a topic that warranted being discussed and it could have been a decent conversation if it had stayed civil.

It really makes no difference. He has a choice to buy them and do whatever he wants with them once he has paid for them.

Reef-fisher and I just happen to know that if we wanted a frag of one of the choice pieces, Jason would go out of his way to take it out of his show tank, then frag it, let it heal up, then ask us what we thought, then put a really great price on the piece just because he knows that we will be back to spend more in the future. Personally I hope that he and El Salvador work out a mutual deal and all of the stuff goes to one place. Then I as the consumer can come in and pick and choose which corals I want for my own purpose.

Also, neither of us, nor Randy-S, nor many of the dozen or so to comment are store owners. We just believe in free enterprise and the choice of both the seller and the buyer to do business with each other as they see fit.

You are not wrong for voiceing your opinion. I applaud you. And you seem like a nice guy. I just think that nothing should be done about sponsors buying or browsing the classifieds for good deals. It just doesn't make any since.

In college I remember having dozens of class discussions and debates. It was always fun for me because I both learned alot and I got to practice one of my favorite things, argueing. Learning how to argue and discuss in a way that was constructive and did not personally attack other students was probably the most interesting part. When said and done, there will always be two sides to an argument. Sometimes there is no right and there is no wrong. Our classifieds are another story, though you, and maybe others may not like not having first grabs at something it really makes no difference. That is just how it has to be. If you were constantly logged on like you are today, you may have seen the post prior to Jason and you may have made an aquisition prior to him aswell. If tomorrow something is posted in the classifieds that I find to be something of great desire and at the right price, and you or anybody else happens to post that they would like to buy it before I get a chance to post, then I will just have to deal with it. If I really want that something, I can always pm the buyer and see if he/she is willing to sell it to me and then we can come up with a price and go from there.

I think that this topic has definately had alot of discussion as it has become quite interesting reading through posts and responces. Of course the topic itself is black and white and thus as an overall arguement kind of turns up going nowhere. Still kind of intersting.

Is this the 10th page already or are we still on the 9th?

Garrett

So when a LFS wants to buy something they cant????

But when we need to get rid of stuff PRONTO we expect a LFS to take it?? Hmm..........

This is pathetic that this is one of the biggest threads EVER on this site

Let someone LFS, Walt Smith, Porky the Pig, Madonna but whatever the hell they want

BTW Ahreno- You need a another hobby besides worrying about stuff like this. If you have a prob with it become a board member. People dont need to waste there time reading this. Later Ryan

Hey Jason you gotta remember who this is that started this thread.

Remember this? I know you will get a laugh- Its the store closing thread

Jason (Sully)- There is no way I am going to try to list it all out. Feel free to call me on anything you want. And just so we are all on the same page. When I say idiotic offers, this is what I mean. Hey man, I'll give you $30.00 for that rose bubble anemone. Or I will give you $25.00 for that piece of Tort that would normally sell for $150.00. All I ask is to use common sense and courtesy. You guys know wear to draw the line between insulting and a respectable offer. I don't mind doing killer deals, but I will not take it in the poop shoot either.

Sincerely, Jason

Rey (Reefin)- Where are you at? I thought you worked 24-7? Ryan and I came to get some $30 RBTA's! I guess we gotta go up North!

Ahreno-wait, are you serious now about $25 rose? thought $30 was an insult

Jason (Sully) -I know you are down in Eugene, try staying away from the second hand smoke(clap)

That is enough said. Good luck with this thread Ahreno

You nailed it with:

It was always fun for me because I both learned alot and I got to practice one of my favorite things, argueing. Learning how to argue and discuss in a way that was constructive and did not personally attack other students was probably the most interesting part.

I love arguing and often find myself playing devils advocate just for that sake. I have no problem with people having different opions than mine which you'll notice in many of my posts commenting on others good points. I've read back through this entire thread a few times and if there were a few posts that were either phrased in a constructive non attacking manner this could have been 10 threads of intelligent conversation as opposed to what it ended up being.

I feel i've tarnished my name here even though if you read through my posts i remained very calm and coolheaded through the whole thing (besides my response to Randy-S claiming to know my intentions) when it could have been easy to respond in a heated tone to a few of the people that were regular participants in this.

And the reason I have been logged on all day is that I own a social media marketing company and one of the things we use as a marketing tool is forums... so for me to be a part of an almost 100 post thread in a day is something that interests me on more levels than just the surface topic. I'll probably end up using this thread in a blog post or case study of some sort.

BTW Ahreno- You need a another hobby besides worrying about stuff like this.

How am i worried about it? By starting a thread asking peoples opinions? Isn't that kind of what this board is about? Did you even read the whole thread to see my posts or are you just jumping in to help a friend?

And whats your point with the bubble tip quote? what did i do wrong there? I did find a RBTA for $30...

If you're going to quote to try to make me look like an idiot... you could have included the post right before i asked if he was serious about $25 RBTA (the store was closing I had no idea if he was trying to liquidate) which said:

"Come on back through and you can have the rose bubbles for $25"