Scam Alert

Krux

A recently trending scam on other sites has started here. 

If someone sends you a PM about an item you have expressed interest in that has just registered and directs you to email someone else who is not a community member it is absolutely a scam.  For fun if they send you photos to prove they have the items, run a reverse image search and you can find out who actually took the photo!

Don't get ripped off, for more details you can read many threads about this activity on places like R2R.

Edited by Krux
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

brownsmith today, but that will change daily.

these accounts use DM to get around the minimum posting requirement to access posting to classified sections on boards, but that is how you attack the spam issue - just change the threshold to send a DM.

Edited by Krux

1 hour ago, Krux said:

brownsmith today, but that will change daily.

these accounts use DM to get around the minimum posting requirement to access posting to classified sections on boards, but that is how you attack the spam issue - just change the threshold to send a DM.

@SuncrestReef @TheClark @Chief is there to block new members from sending a DM until they get to a certain post count ?

I looked and they are already flagged as a spammer. 

Posted (edited)

right click image, select search image with google, side bar pops up, select find image source.  This will show you the web sites that the image appears on. 

Usually scammers will go to another reef site, craigslist, etc and copy an image to send to you as proof they have it.  By reverse searching the image you can find out where else it has been used. 

This is why for many online used sales locations people will put a piece of paper with their user name and a date to authenticate that they have the item.  I request this frequently when buying valuable records.

For example, consider I am the owner of this totally legit Fox Flame colony that I want to sell you for only HALF of the going rate!  Not a chance I swiped it from a 4 year old R2R post.

How low light is the Jason Fox Fox Flame? | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef  Aquarium Forum

Edited by Krux
  • Thanks 1