Water storage/mixing station

Scooter

I've been tossing around the idea of a small water mixing station.  A large freshwater tank and a large salt water tank.    When I say large, I mean large for me, which would probably be tiny for most people.  Something like 10 or 20 gallons per tank.  This would NOT be plumbed to the tank/sump. Just a more convenient way to mix and store saltwater and still use buckets to get to the tank.

My question is what all would be needed for plumbing?    Freshwater seems pretty straightforward, RODI water input with a float valve and 2 outputs with ball valves. One of which connected to the salt water tank.  Then saltwater would need port to dump salt in to.  A pump and heater to mix the salt.  And then an output with a ball valve to collect the water.   Am I missing anything?

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

I've been tossing around the idea of a small water mixing station.  A large freshwater tank and a large salt water tank.    When I say large, I mean large for me, which would probably be tiny for most people.  Something like 10 or 20 gallons per tank.  This would NOT be plumbed to the tank/sump. Just a more convenient way to mix and store saltwater and still use buckets to get to the tank.

My question is what all would be needed for plumbing?    Freshwater seems pretty straightforward, RODI water input with a float valve and 2 outputs with ball valves. One of which connected to the salt water tank.  Then saltwater would need port to dump salt in to.  A pump and heater to mix the salt.  And then an output with a ball valve to collect the water.   Am I missing anything?

You can keep it simple, 2 big containers and ball valves with bulk heads and barb hose fittings to connect hoses. I just open rodi valve to fill mix water. Only float valve on rodi vat. Drop in heater and powerhead for mixing.

34 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

You can keep it simple, 2 big containers and ball valves with bulk heads and barb hose fittings to connect hoses. I just open rodi valve to fill mix water. Only float valve on rodi vat. Drop in heater and powerhead for mixing.

Not sure I follow.    How does the fresh water get in the salt tank?  Or are you saying gravity, with the fresh water being higher?

I'm thinking about buying these 16 gallon tanks.  What should I use for bulkheads to add some more bigger sized ports?

18 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Not sure I follow.    How does the fresh water get in the salt tank?  Or are you saying gravity, with the fresh water being higher?

I'm thinking about buying these 16 gallon tanks.  What should I use for bulkheads to add some more bigger sized ports?

Yes I use gravity. Fresh on top of mixed. Spigot should be in lower portions of containers. https://a.co/d/dFi3dZu

9C775667-C163-4A7D-B4F9-856B266CB517.thumb.jpeg.10da00d4198e504a53e2b7f1b216db1c.jpegThis is my under the stairs saltwater station. I have a drain access. When I want to do a water change, I dump the water in the refugium by opening a valve at the bottom of the tote(It is not easy to see. ) and pump the water from the bottom tote to the bottom. Bottom tote is connected to the fresh water tote with a float valve. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Are you space limited? For the size of those tanks, they are pretty spendy. Most people do brute trash cans for an economical mixing station. Also can find food grade barrels (50 gal I believe) on marketplace or CL for pretty cheap too.

Ya.  I don't have much space. I think I can build something that takes up next to no space 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:02 PM, ShoeCrew said:

9C775667-C163-4A7D-B4F9-856B266CB517.thumb.jpeg.10da00d4198e504a53e2b7f1b216db1c.jpegThis is my under the stairs saltwater station. I have a drain access. When I want to do a water change, I dump the water in the refugium by opening a valve at the bottom of the tote(It is not easy to see. ) and pump the water from the bottom tote to the bottom. Bottom tote is connected to the fresh water tote with a float valve. 

Watch those totes closely. I used to use them for a hydroponic set up and had to change them out frequently. They tend to let go all the sudden and much quicker with grow lights. 

3 hours ago, BeardUp said:

Watch those totes closely. I used to use them for a hydroponic set up and had to change them out frequently. They tend to let go all the sudden and much quicker with grow lights. 

Thanks for the heads up. I have been using the ones at the bottom for more than a year now. What is the failure mode? Does it crack and start leaking?

3 hours ago, ShoeCrew said:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been using the ones at the bottom for more than a year now. What is the failure mode? Does it crack and start leaking?

I found they would crack then split at the top lip of the cut out in the middle where it bows out from the water. I could get a few good grows out of them before I noticed small cracks on water changes. I am sure mine went faster due to all the light.