20% Off HF Generator Coupon

cjmdh

55 minutes ago, ShoeCrew said:

Hello, I am new to generators. It seems like there is a bunch of things to consider.  do you guys have a generator transfer switch installed to your house? Which generator would you recommend? Do you have natural gas conversion? 

Thanks

I have a whole-house 22kW generator with auto-transfer switch and powered by natural gas.  It's an expensive investment, but it saved my tank several times as well as provides ultra convenience to use everything in my house during any power failure (including furnace, A/C, oven, fridge, laundry, etc.), even a prolonged outage lasting many hours or days since no refueling is necessary.  See my post here:

5 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

i run my whole house with a generator and a suicide cord during power outage. Simplest solution if you know what you're doing. If you don't, there is a reason why it is called a suicide cord

Also keep in mind, an improperly connected generator can feed electricity back into the local power grid, putting utility workers at risk when they're repairing power lines and equipment.

2 hours ago, ShoeCrew said:

Hello, I am new to generators. It seems like there is a bunch of things to consider.  do you guys have a generator transfer switch installed to your house? Which generator would you recommend? Do you have natural gas conversion? 

Thanks

I have an interlock. We do not have natural gas where I live so it would have to be propane. I considered getting a generac but they are spendy. The interlock plus the generator is a happy medium for me .

Here is the thread I started when I was looking into this.

Awesome resources!! Thanks a lot everybody for the input. I m considering 3500W inverter generator for just the fishtank. I m planning to put a conversion kit on it to enable it for natural gas. I have a natural gas outlet outside the house for the grill. The catch is that outlet is pretty far away from the circuit box. So probably trying to install a transfer switch with this setup is not going to be very sensible. Even a small setup like this will run around $1000.