Sump layout

Call_Me_Jae

One subtle detail to highlight.  The water chamber your return pump is in, is the only place water evaporation shows up.  The smaller you make this box, the more important your ATO (auto-top off) system is.    My personal preference is to make this chamber as large as possible.   

Think of the scenario where you scoop a gallon of water out of your tank, in order to bag up a fish or coral and transport them somewhere.   Do you have enough water in the return pump chamber so the level can drop - but pump doesn't run dry?    (Of course, you'll put a gallon of freshly made salt water back in.)

Same scenario, but you syphon out 5 gallons of tank water to do a water change.   Does that chamber have an extra 5 gallons so you can leave the return pump running, or are you forced to turn it off.

This is my preference for sump proportioning.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

One subtle detail to highlight.  The water chamber your return pump is in, is the only place water evaporation shows up.  The smaller you make this box, the more important your ATO (auto-top off) system is.    My personal preference is to make this chamber as large as possible.   

Think of the scenario where you scoop a gallon of water out of your tank, in order to bag up a fish or coral and transport them somewhere.   Do you have enough water in the return pump chamber so the level can drop - but pump doesn't run dry?    (Of course, you'll put a gallon of freshly made salt water back in.)

Same scenario, but you syphon out 5 gallons of tank water to do a water change.   Does that chamber have an extra 5 gallons so you can leave the return pump running, or are you forced to turn it off.

This is my preference for sump proportioning.

That's Really good info. ill make sure to test that when i set it up. the current tank i got is a 65g with a 20g sump. also do you have an ATO reccomendation? ive only used a cheap one i found on amazon and it failed on my 40breeder

25 minutes ago, Call_Me_Jae said:

That's Really good info. ill make sure to test that when i set it up. the current tank i got is a 65g with a 20g sump. also do you have an ATO reccomendation? ive only used a cheap one i found on amazon and it failed on my 40breeder

I'm an Apex user.  My ATO is the full setup.   I've heard others talk about Tunze being a good stand alone ATO.

Also, not sure where you are at with planning/equipment/etc, but I would highly recommend an emergency drain for your setup. Not only is it way safer for your house, but you can also make one drain full siphon and this quiet. Depending on your tank, it could be as easy as a second hole drilled and a little extra plumbing.

Sump layout looks fine to me, pretty standard and you can’t get too fancy with only a 20 gal size layout.

I too use apex for my ATO but most everyone prefers Tunze for stand alone.

Go to Autotopoff.com, I’ve bought three auto top offs from them over the years and still have them all working perfectly and they’re the cheapest out there that I’m aware of. I buy the double float switch that has a backup float for a fail safe with a mounting bracket and add on a fountain pump, total everything you need for like $50. You can build your own which is cool, like if you have a nano tank. The guy that owns the company is super helpful too and immediately responds with any questions 

2C14A38C-D591-4FEA-A146-11790D296C75.jpeg

Edited by TaylorW
Added picture