Aptasia Death, by peppermint shrimp

obrien.david.j

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

Victim 2, Fifth Morning (Sat AM) 

• I can still see three, remaining in the cracks.  
  • I'm thinking the shrimp have been well fed, and aren't going as aggressively at this point.  thoughts?

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

It makes sense. I believe the reason we don't see more widespread success with peppermint shrimp is because they are usually kept and fed in our display tanks and have no need to eat the aiptasia. Yours just had a ton to feast on. They've obviously got a taste for them, so hopefully you won't need to do anything else other than wait. 

It's been fun watching the progression! Thank you for documenting this! 

7 minutes ago, OregonGrownReef said:

It makes sense. I believe the reason we don't see more widespread success with peppermint shrimp is because they are usually kept and fed in our display tanks and have no need to eat the aiptasia. Yours just had a ton to feast on. They've obviously got a taste for them, so hopefully you won't need to do anything else other than wait. 

It's been fun watching the progression! Thank you for documenting this! 

I have the same theory why my filefish and copper banded butterfly fish haven't decimated the Aptasia in the main display tank... Because I feed heavily.  Or feel like I do.  I got through one sheet of paper size packet of frozen LRS food every 8 days.   (I cut the packet into 8th's, and feed 1/8th a day)

• Like 1

Victim(s) 3, Fifth Morning (Friday)

• 5 days seems to be the magic number.  Bulk Aptasia are gone.  a few well tucked stragglers must still be there, but I can't see them this time
  • This weekend is likely time to announce the lucky winner of Victim 4 status

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

Edited by obrien.david.j
  • Like 1

Victim(s) 3, Sixth Day (Saturday)

• Feels like today should be a before and after compare day
  • It is also worth while to say, this process is not perfect.  
    • I'm happy the bulk aptasia are knocked down
    • But an escapee on Victim 1 has shown up, which has been returned to the main tank.

before-n-after V3.jpg

Victim 1 - in main tank

• MUCH better than when it started, but not 100% cured
  • (and yes, those are dino's all over the gravel - thank you for asking.  Specifically LCA, which I'm currently fighting too.)

IMG_3971.jpg

Did not add Victim 4 today.   Borrowed the shrimp tank space to temporarily hold the grow out tank occupants, which has developed a thick layer of diatom algae.  something like coscinodiscus (ID'd by R2R helpers)

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/id-please-coating-flat-surfaces-thin-matt-scope-pictures-included.887878/

Drained, removed, scrubbed in driveway, and reinstalled today.    Frag tank looking better.   Shrimp tank restored to the shrimp.

66527873864__795D949A-375F-47E5-B318-7F3E70E444CD.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

66528218190__07349EB1-B045-45B9-80C2-B3649477CFA1.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

Victim(s) 4, First Morning (Wednesday)

• Got next large pile of rocks moved to the Shrimp tank last night
  • Attached are the baseline photos from the first morning.   Aptasia are open and out, not feeling the effects of shrimp... Yet.
  • Special Note:  Victims 2 and 3 rock piles are still in this tank.   In theory, shrimp should be hungry and be eating on V4 rocks.   But the others are still there too.
  • (I'd like to glue some of these rocks back together into a rigid structure before returning to display tank)

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

Victim(s) 4, Second Morning (Thursday)

• Second morning, still following same trend as past victims - Aptasia still comfortably open, acting unphased
  • But...   also still following same trend as past victims - I can see Peppermint shrimp huddling underneath these rocks.  Getting Ready
    • (que the theme song from Jaws.  think like you're an aptasia, and the shrimp are great white sharks - ready to Eat You!) 

duunnn dunnn… duuuunnnn duun… duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

Follow-up mid day

I never realized just How Many aptasia there where on this rock, until I was looking closer over lunch today.   Turned on the white lights.    Attached is close up of one section of rock, AND a crop of the center of the same photo.   Look at those little tiny ones!!!

These pictures could be used in an instructional video.  Don't let Aptasia get out of hand.

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4014 -crop.jpg

On 2/5/2022 at 10:01 AM, Lexinverts said:

Have you tried adding Berghia to the treatment tank? It seems like a group of them might do the job a little more quickly than the shrimp.

I have done Berghia in the past, with great success.  This time around, I seem to melt them faster than I could encourage their success.   (I tried two batches earlier, and have a couple of theories what I did wrong - but the aptasia have gone Crazy - and felt I needed a technique that could knock them down faster, at least initially.)

Victim(s) 5, First Morning (Wednesday)

• New phase of the experiment.  I'm out of bare rocks from the main tank.  Starting to bring in rocks with various corals.  One has easy SPS, one is a ricorda rock, and last a gorgonian rock.
  • Shrimp are supposed to now be trained to like Aptasia, Not Coral!

• Okay, these rocks went in late last night (white pictures).
  • First thing this morning (red pictures), and check out the three shrimp just enjoying themselves at the top of the purple monti digitata.  (last photo)

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

• Like 1