New salt water tank enthusiast

Hashbrown

Hello, my name is Andrew. My wife Andrea and I are very excited at getting into this hobby. We have a almost 2 year old daughter we are excited to share this with. We both grew up with our parents owning large fresh water tanks. 

our hearts are set on a mocha clown fish pair and a Colorado sunburst anemone. Also like the flame angel fish.

tank specs

• Innovative marine 75gal ext

• octa reef 150 skimmer

• octa reef various 2 pump

• pentair 25w uv filter

• 2 - radion xr15 lights

• Inkbird 300w heating

• ecotech mp40 wave pump

• crystal 30 trigger sump

• Apex EL 4 sensor

• Tunze ATO

Edited by Hashbrown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hashbrown said:

Hello, my name is Andrew. My wife Andrea and I are very excited at getting into this hobby. We have a almost 2 year old daughter we are excited to share this with. We both grew up with our parents owning large fresh water tanks. 

our hearts are set on a mocha clown fish pair and a Colorado sunburst anemone. Also like the flame angel fish.

tank specs

Marine x 60gal with sump, octa reef 150 skimmer, octa reef various 2 pump, pentair 25w uv filter, 2x radion xr15 lights, Helios ptc heater, nero 3 wave pump. 

Welcome to the forum! Excellent choice with the mocha clown and sunburst ! I can’t wait to see pictures!

7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Welcome to the club!  Glad you found us.  There's a lot of great information here, and lots of fellow reefers of all different skill/experience levels, so feel free to ask questions or use the Search feature at the top.  And we love photos, so post some of your tank when you have a chance!

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. We should have everything set up by end of next week. Still waiting on a few things to arrive, then let it run and make sure everything is stable for 6weeks

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hashbrown said:

Yeah, I quickly realized a porcupine puffer was not happening and no tangs with this size of tank. 

I actually have a 25 lagoon and had a little purple tang in there.  They are great grazers. I usually will rehome them when they get too big. Unfortunately I somehow got marine velvet in my tank.

Welcome to the most exciting hobby of Reefing.  It’s nice that you and your wife are both wanting a reef tank.  Your daughter will love watching and learning about the fish and beautiful corals.  
regarding getting an Anemone make sure your tank is at least 9 months to a year old before adding your anemone as they need a mature tank to survive and thrive.  Sunburst so are expensive so you want to give them the best.  Have a great time with your new tank

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wantanewtank said:

Welcome to the most exciting hobby of Reefing.  It’s nice that you and your wife are both wanting a reef tank.  Your daughter will love watching and learning about the fish and beautiful corals.  
regarding getting an Anemone make sure your tank is at least 9 months to a year old before adding your anemone as they need a mature tank to survive and thrive.  Sunburst so are expensive so you want to give them the best.  Have a great time with your new tank

Thank you for the tip. I was thinking 6 months, around that point I will have obsession pdx come out and go over the tank. If it takes 9mo it’s okay

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parzifal said:

Welcome!  

as you can probably see already, you’ve got a whole community behind you.  If you need anything I hope you feel very comfortable reaching out to an I do usual or the whole forum. There’s no bad questions!    

Thank you!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hashbrown said:

Thank you for the tip. I was thinking 6 months, around that point I will have obsession pdx come out and go over the tank. If it takes 9mo it’s okay

6 months might work I’m going off of advice from mr saltwater tank and my own experience.  If you haven’t already been watching him on YouTube and saltwater aquarium.com oh also bull reef supply is amazing.  Watch their 52 wks of reef series from about 5 years ago

• Thanks 1