ATO Question

Danielie21

I got a reservoir in my sump that I installed a float system to keep it full, but doing so it seems im burning through my di resin really fast. I don't have an auto flush system on my ro/di system, was thinking of adding one if that will help or should I come off my ro/di holding tank.

If you're running the RO/DI system frequently for small refills of the reservoir, that will burn through the DI resin much faster than running the RO/DI system for a long period to fill a large storage tank.  I have a 75 gallon storage tank that I fill every month or so by running the RO/DI system for many hours straight, then turn it off for a month.  I have a pump in my storage tank to use as my ATO topoff pump.

Mixing Station.jpg

There is a combination of issues if you don’t flush before running. Your membrane needs to be flushed, the water lines flush out in the house, etc. If you are using a float valve that is letting small runs daily, you will always have the initial TDS spike that ends up going through your resin. Ideally like Suncrestreef said and I do, you make a big batch in a separate container and pump that in. Membranes run more efficiently over longer periods of time and thus less DI usage.

Other option is to let your reservoir get down to the bottom and fill it up instead of using the float. Again, longer runs, more efficient, less DI use. 

Edited by Blue Z Reef

@SuncrestReefdo you use a dosing pump or just a powerhead.

If I plumb it off my holding tank I would need a way to tell the pump to kick on since I don't have a controller yet. I was thinking of using a pressure switch at the holding tank to kill the pump and when the float opened up it will turn the pump on and stop it when it hit a certain pressure.

What Bill said.

My system is similar to suncrests but with anion and cation split. If you're I'm Portland having dual membranes I feel is worth is for the water bill.

You can get a solinoid and power supply, soldered it up and stick it on a timer for every other day or whatever works best on your system. Can also just buy one too. Just try to make the filter cycle a long one to reduce di reason use.

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 9:45 AM, Bicyclebill said:

I recommend autotopoff.com. Get a relay with float switch and solenoid valve to fill your reservoir, but put the solenoid on a timer that runs maybe an hour twice a day. I've been running like this for about 10 years.

Sorry kind of forgot i asked this question.

What i have is a 2 55g tanks one for salt and other ro/di. What i did was just put my float that is in my ato reservoir straight from my ro/di filter system and i'm burning up the di within a two months. Which now I understand and didn't think about it. 

So my thought is taking a line from my ro/di storage tank and pressurizing it up with some kind of pump with a pressure cut off system, and only fill the storage tank when needed in one line run instead of on and off all the time with my current setup.