Anemone spawning event

half-astronaut

19 minutes ago, half-astronaut said:

I just saw my 2 male and one female rock flower anemone do the nasty. I've never had them before. To those who have, does this happen often and is it ever successful for you?

That's awesome!  I want RFA babies!  Do you feed them or anything?  There are some great articles out there on the topic, it is highly cool stuff!

17 hours ago, half-astronaut said:

I just saw my 2 male and one female rock flower anemone do the nasty. I've never had them before. To those who have, does this happen often and is it ever successful for you?

How do you know their gender? Fwiw I've had one for ~7 yrs and a second one for ~3 yrs (and a third for a few months) and I've never witnessed a spawning event. 

I had it happen a long time ago and yes had babies in the end........being there was a full moon lately I think thats what triggers them..........I had a video somewhere maybe I can find it will see...... just look for little specs they will appear on the rocks and maybe in the sand even........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, xxkenny90xx said:

How do you know their gender? Fwiw I've had one for ~7 yrs and a second one for ~3 yrs (and a third for a few months) and I've never witnessed a spawning event. 

Let's just say it's pretty obvious, I was just lucky to see it. The two guys 🌋 simultaneously and th'lady was... receptive.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spectra said:

I had it happen a long time ago and yes had babies in the end........being there was a full moon lately I think thats what triggers them..........I had a video somewhere maybe I can find it will see...... just look for little specs they will appear on the rocks and maybe in the sand even........

I think it was because I changed up lights, or maybe the female just decided to dump a bunch of hormones into the water stream causing the guys to lose it. In the beginning I thought the now identified female just needed to take a dump.

My understanding is there's internal fertilization and brief gestation, but I have to read up. I'll be interested to see the colors as the three are very different from each other. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, half-astronaut said:

I think it was because I changed up lights, or maybe the female just decided to dump a bunch of hormones into the water stream causing the guys to lose it. In the beginning I thought the now identified female just needed to take a dump.

My understanding is there's internal fertilization and brief gestation, but I have to read up. I'll be interested to see the colors as the three are very different from each other. 

What lights did you change from/to?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CoralReefTankers said:

Mine had babies about 2 months ago and I am finding them all over too! Started to scoop the ones out of the sand and put in a plastic container with a bit of sand and have been direct feeding them reef-roids. They are going really well. So cool that u got to see it happen!

Mine have mostly moved to rocks, I've only seen a couple in the sand. I need to get some  'roids, my phosphates have bottomed out. I dose ab+ aminos daily and reef chili a couple times a week. 

I assume the babies are from the event I saw, but the gestation period was more like 5-6 weeks, not the 8-12 I've seen posted.

I'll swap you some color morphs! 

Edited by half-astronaut

19 minutes ago, half-astronaut said:

Mine have mostly moved to rocks, I've only seen a couple in the sand. I need to get some  'roids, my phosphates have bottomed out. I dose ab+ aminos daily and reef chili a couple times a week. 

I assume the babies are from the event I saw, but the gestation period was more like 5-6 weeks, not the 8-12 I've seen posted.

I'll swap you some color morphs! 

Mine were about 6 weeks too.

Yeah we could totally swap. There are about 18 babies hiding in the box. Last pic is of moma.

20201125_193754.jpg

20201125_193803.jpg

20201125_193808.jpg

20201125_193823.jpg

20201125_193831.jpg

20201125_193558.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheClark said:

This is so cool.  I wonder how many reef keepers have mistaken them for small majanos, especially the green babies?  Once they get bright colors I would guess not, but I could see myself making that mistake.

You actually see the fluorescence first, just little glowing specks when you're looking at them head on. 

• Thanks 1