What R U Using 4 Phosphate Removal

lewisriverfisherman

for rapid removal there is lanthium chloride.  BE CAREFUL.  it instantly binds phosphate. 

GFO is certainly the most popular and only targets phos. 

Cheato is good as it absorbs nitrate and phos. 

I use LC if the ratios are whack for some reason and then continue on with GFO and an utter ridiculous amount of chaeto under a big light. 

(I also dose vinegar which brings down nitrates and will also bring phos down to a much smaller degree). 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lewisriverfisherman said:

Ok what is a roller mat as I have never heard of it?

Roller mat is essentially an auto changing filter sock. It’s a roll of filter sock type material that rolls out new as the old is clogged up. Basically you end up with less stuff decaying in socks between changing. Almost like you were sort of constantly changing socks out with clean ones.

BRS sells them if you look them up on their site.

What is your phosphate at right now? You just planning ahead? Always good to see if you can figure out the root cause before you start throwing fixes at it.

Edited by Blue Z Reef
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, theDSBlack said:

I use a roller mat, a refugium, algae turf scrubber, and a protein skimmer. This keeps my phosphate at .03 to .04 steady on my 200 gallon mixed reef while feeding daily and plenty of food. 

I wish I had room for a roller mat in my sump.  I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 425 and I converted the ATO tank above the socks into a refugium, so the space directly above my socks is occupied, and I've used all the remaining space for reactors, skimmer, and a UV sterilizer.  I guess I'll just need a bigger tank next time to have a bigger sump space...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Roller mat is essentially an auto changing filter sock. It’s a roll of filter sock type material that rolls out new as the old is clogged up. Basically you end up with less stuff decaying in socks between changing. Almost like you were sort of constantly changing socks out with clean ones.

BRS sells them if you look them up on their site.

What is your phosphate at right now? You just planning ahead? Always good to see if you can figure out the root cause before you start throwing fixes at it.

Ok thank you I have seen these before but didnt know what they were called.