Anybody interested in buying some iodine solution?

LadAShark

I recently needed to do a dip for my corals, so I purchased loads of 99.9% purity iodine crystals and 99.9% purity potassium iodide. Just wanted to see how interested people would be to buy something chemically equivalent to Lugol's solution for sale at like 5-10 bucks at the April 15 meeting? Would probably be willing to trade for frags too.

For background, so that you know I'm qualified to do this, I am a bio(chemical) engineer.

2 hours ago, albertareef said:

I wouldn't mind having some on hand - are you thinking of premixing the solution?  Unfortunately, I may not be able to make it to the next meeting/store tour.

I can mix it whenever needed. I can even supply just the amount needed for the deionized water you have if you want to make it with your own water as well. 

Edited by LadAShark

Not sure the value of this when you can get Kent's lugol's iodine for like 10 dollars? Iodine is relatively cheap compared to other things we spend my money on in this hobby :). Besides no offense to you I'm sure you are good at what you do but I have personally seen many tank crashes when people tried to supplement or treat on the cheap. 

Not trying to be rude like Jeremy just feel like I'm missing something here. :)

35 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I suspect Kim is missing a very important hyphen and means she is not trying to be rude-like, rather than "rude like Jeremy." :joking:  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Flashy Fins said:

I suspect Kim is missing a very important hyphen and means she is not trying to be rude-like, rather than "rude like Jeremy." :joking:  

LMAO! Punctuation is key! :)  Yes I'm not trying to be rude, COMMA, like Jeremy I just feel like I'm missing the big picture!

9 hours ago, Jeremevans said:

So I'm not sure what you would use this for? Could you teach me what you do with it and then maybe I'll decide I should buy some? Is it for getting rid of bugs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Iodine is a highly used chemical by several invertibrates as well as some fish (sharks being notable examples). Corals and molting shrimp both highly need iodine. If you're doing constant water changes, however, you probably don't need to dose it. Your protein skimmer also takes iodine out of the water, so that will also slowly consume what iodine you have in your aquarium. All in all, you may or may not need to dose it for optimum growth. You may even find that you might reduce water changes if Iodine was the problem making your tank critters like Iodine changes.

BUT! As hard as it is to determine whether dosing is good, it IS a good first method to fight coral disease. By taking the suffering coral out and putting it in a bucket full of its original water, with some iodine solution added, you can help it recover regardless (for the most part) of the disease. You see, iodine solution is put heavily into use in one other area— surgery. It is a good antiseptic, killing fungi, protists, and bacterias, while sinulatebously not hurting your coral. If you look into iodine dipping you'll find it is a good way to try to save coral that is dying of unkown causes.

9 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Not sure the value of this when you can get Kent's lugol's iodine for like 10 dollars? Iodine is relatively cheap compared to other things we spend my money on in this hobby :). Besides no offense to you I'm sure you are good at what you do but I have personally seen many tank crashes when people tried to supplement or treat on the cheap. 

Can sell more of it for cheaper than Kent's Marine lugol's iodine. Basically there's fewer issues with distribution and paying people to make the stuff, so less actual cost to you. 1 oz of the stuff is 10 dollars. I was going to be selling like 4 or 8 oz for that price, or less. 

I assure you if you read the label they make it the same way I do. Potassium iodide plus iodine crystals plus deionized water equals iodine solution. (Don't try dosing it yourself without knowing ratios to mix it however!). 

Not just Iodine though, I can make any of the chemicals dosed into the aquarium. I'm not trying to run a business, just trying to go the middle ground between giving it out for free and acting for profit.

Edited by LadAShark

16 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I would be interested in some pure iodine crystal for April 15 meeting.  How much will you be selling for how many grams?  

What the dipping concentration?   How many grams of pure iodine crystal per X ml of tank water?

I began typing up a wall of text and then I got signed out sooo.

You normally put 40 drops of lugol's solution per gallon of aquarium water.

20 drops is roughly 2 milliters. Could potentially be more or less. General guidelines are less when dipping chalices and lps, more when dipping softies. 

So, grams per gallon of water would be too much haha (I made that mistake first time!!!). That comes to about 0.012 grams per gallon of water (math might not be perfect, you might want more). So not much of the crystals are really needed for a dip. Now, those are the guidelines, ideally, you want brownish water with sensitive critters and pretty brown water with less sensitive creatures. I will have to do some better math and you'll need some really sensitive scales if you want to add crystal form to make the dip. It's usually easier to make some solution with DI water, then dose the dip.

Anyway, I can bring the crystals. As for how I would price it, hmm. How does $5 for 3 grams sound? Roughly enough to make 2 oz of lugol's, and, if my previous math isn't wrong, 250 gallons of dip. (Probably more like 100 or even 50, because I used the eye dropper drop as amount per drop, but the guidelines don't specify that, they just say drop haha). Anyway, 3 grams of crystal will make a LOT of dip. In case that sounds silly, while testing it out I added around 6 grams of crystal across 50 gallons of water and made it dark brown. 

I might have misunderstood though, do you only want the iodine crystals? Or would you like the crystals needed to make the solution?

On April 7, 2017 at 7:19 PM, danlu_gt said:

So are you talking about iodine crystals or potassium iodine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Both. If you want the stuff to make that amount of dip, it would be 2 grams of potassium iodide and 1 gram of iodine crystals. Neither are very soluble unless the other is present. 

You mentioned iodine crystals so I thought you might only want one of those two components? Which is why I said "I might have misunderstood." Otherwise everything up to that point was about potassium iodide+iodine crystals (what's needed for the dip).