Skimmer choices

featherblue

The big day is here....we can finally replace the bubble max skimmer on my 72g bow front! We've been comparing these 2

Reef octopus classic 200int

Coralife protien super skimmer 220 gal

Any experience with either or good reason to choose one over the other? Any other good suggestions....were trying to keep costs at $250 or so

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Coralife is Reef Octopus... They are pretty comparable to a Bubble Max, if your trying to go All out I suggest Vertex Omega (Best built Skimmers) Though I personally never put too much of a budget on a skimmer, being what I feel is one of the most important pieces of equipment I'm ok with putting down several hundred to ensure I have something thats going to last. If those are what you have your mind set on though I would choose the RO 200, its old tried and trusted.

Are you buying new or used ? the 2 skimmers listed are not eve in the same ball park as far as price if you have a sub $200 budget there are not as many options for skimmers that will be rated for 200 gallons. however $250 - $350 you have a lot of options including some pretty nice skimmers.  

Omega 130 Protein Skimmer - Vertex $320 Skimz Kone SK181 Internal Protein Skimmer $280 Simplicity 240DC Protein $250 as well as the reef octopus you listed at $290 Bubble Magus Curve 7 $280 you have lots of options to chooose from. I would stay away from the coral life skimmer and spend the extra money.  :daz: 

Ok, im back at skimmer overwhelmed! There's just so many out there! We can spend $250-300, id have to wait longer to spend more....and what was a desire to replace 2 wks ago, is now a must replace immediately (collection cup on current skimmer got shattered a week ago).

Are there any stand out awesome skimmer is this price range that would out preform a reef octopus?

Edited by featherblue

Whats that? I havent done alot of research on possible controllers/the electronics side of reefing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It is not fancy, newer skimmers that use DC pumps are much more efficient and quieter along with over all reliable. The controller that these come with simply control the power of the DC pump (less flow/more flow). Makes tuning super dialed in and easy.

http://www.fish-street.com/coral_box_d500_dc_skimmer

http://www.simplicityaquatics.com/skimmers/

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/protein-skimmers/internal-protein-skimmers/internal-skimz-skimmers.html