Firefish school or single?

Burningbaal

I was always under the impression that firefish are schoolers and my wife and I love how the people ones look, so I was going to have 3 in my new 29 build with a skunk cleaner, but now I'm reading that they will be aggressive to each other unless mated. What's the deal?

Maybe I should have just 1? So then what else could go in the 29? Perhaps a flasher wrasse, royal gramma or ... ? Reef safe is a must, hard corals, 1 shrimp and a couple snails/hermits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I have 7 in my 200 gallon and in their natural habbitat there are hordes of them together, though each in their dart holes. They all swim out in the open and I have only seen 1 get bullied in my history with them. This was when I had 4.

That is awesome.  I would love to have a school of these guys.  I tried 4 and they picked each other off.  Next attempt will be 7 like you, what a cool school of fish!

This is one that I feel needs a larger tank to have a big school of them in or you will end up with 1. Also need lots of rock work to give them places to hide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I agree with Jeramy. In a larger tank you can have several no problem but when I had 2 in a smaller tank one just beat the heck out of the other one until it finally managed to jump. I had 2 in a 150 gallon in the past and they still couldn't get along. It just depends but in a nano you are going to have more issues with fish feeling crowded and getting irritable. 

I get it I get grouchy too when I don't have my space. :)

• Like 1