Causes of Zoa morphing

kireek

Are there ways to encourage zoas and palys to morph? How would you know if you had a true morph? I am thinking one must frag the colony and move the pieces to a different system.Then you would have to wait for new polyps to grow out.

Below I have included a picture of some Mind Blowing Palys,they have been this way for over a year.The second picture is also Mind Blowing palys from the same tank.

DSCF9991_zps1xgtjqal.jpg

DSCF7013_zpsd0620054.jpg

It has to do with different lighting. For example the candle apple reds will turn more of an orange color when you put them up at higher light. You have to be careful though and sometimes move them up slowly for some because the higher par will make some zoas shrink in submission.

I feel like the lower light tends to do the opposite and bring out less color. For example the nuclear winters I got from Bert have lost the white coloration because I have them in an area of really low par.  

Also I have found sometimes when you cluster 2 zoa colonies together sometimes one will start taking on the pigments of the other. 

As far as how you know it's a true morph, time will tell. Personally what I have noticed is if the color seems to be mixed more in stead of say the rim just looking brighter then it is likely a true morph. Hope that helps! :)

• Like 2

When a zoanthid exhibits changes from environmental conditions it is generally temporary, once in a while the expulsion or exchange of pigments\zooxanthellae is permanent and this is a true morph. Return some of the same polyps back to the original tank and give it some time, if it reverts then it is no morph in my book.

• Like 1

When a zoanthid exhibits changes from environmental conditions it is generally temporary, once in a while the expulsion or exchange of pigments\zooxanthellae is permanent and this is a true morph. Return some of the same polyps back to the original tank and give it some time, if it reverts then it is no morph in my book.

That's exactly my opinion too!  Good stuff.  

It has to do with different lighting. For example the candle apple reds will turn more of an orange color when you put them up at higher light. You have to be careful though and sometimes move them up slowly for some because the higher par will make some zoas shrink in submission.

I feel like the lower light tends to do the opposite and bring out less color. For example the nuclear winters I got from Bert have lost the white coloration because I have them in an area of really low par.  

Also I have found sometimes when you cluster 2 zoa colonies together sometimes one will start taking on the pigments of the other. 

As far as how you know it's a true morph, time will tell. Personally what I have noticed is if the color seems to be mixed more in stead of say the rim just looking brighter then it is likely a true morph. Hope that helps! :)

Thank you Emerald,this is helpful.Lighting was a key factor here.I left the set too close to the LED's.As you can see the centers are quite muddled up and lack the distinct rings of the original variety.

I think the first picture is not Mind Blowing Paly, it is just an established blue zoa that heads open up bigger.

Mind Blowing is a protopalythoa, the skirt is tapered toward the end.

I can assure you that these are in fact Mind Blowing palys.I fragged them myself,same mother colony.They eat like palys too.

Thanks Badx.I am thinking it's time to frag these up,move them around and see what happens.