fishmanmike01

Hmmmm. Keep em coming. Perhaps it's my water. Last Check this morning

Alk was 8.2

Cal 520

Po4. .08

Nitrate 0 api

Mag 1200.

This stuff is so frustrating.

Yup, you want to have some nitrate in your water. What are you using to control nutrients? Whatever it is, you want to back it off until you have at least 2 ppm of nitrate, but I like to keep mine higher.....around 8-10 ppm.

With nitrates in that range, what does your po4 look like?

It's between .1 and .05. Right now it is .05 in my office tank and .1 in my home tank.

Your phosphate is fine at .08, in my opinion.

When your phosphate is higher than your nitrate, you have a recipe for cyanobacteria blooming, since cyanobacteria can fix their own nitrogen from the atmosphere (unlike algae and corals, which are limited by nitrate). Many people have cyano problems at the params that you mentioned, and then see improvement when they raise their nitrate a bit.

Edited by Lexinverts

It's between .1 and .05. Right now it is .05 in my office tank and .1 in my home tank.

Your phosphate is fine at .08, in my opinion.

When your phosphate is higher than your nitrate, you have a recipe for cyanobacteria blooming, since cyanobacteria can fix their own nitrogen from the atmosphere (unlike algae and corals, which are limited by nitrate). Many people have cyano problems at the params that you mentioned, and then see improvement when they raise their nitrate a bit.

Spoken like an expert! I've just recently started to see bright green algae take hold in a few places. Explaines a lot.

To answer your questions. I run nothing to control nitrates however I run a small amount of gfo to keep phos in check.

Just ran tests again and no detectable nitrates. So... How does one increase nitrates without increasing phos?

Spoken like an expert! I've just recently started to see bright green algae take hold in a few places. Explaines a lot.

To answer your questions. I run nothing to control nitrates however I run a small amount of gfo to keep phos in check.

Just ran tests again and no detectable nitrates. So... How does one increase nitrates without increasing phos?

Weird that you don't have any detectable nitrate, but you do have phosphate. What nitrate test kit do you use?

You have a few options to raise nitrate that I can think of.

1) Only run your skimmer at night. This will also increase your phosphate, but you could also add a little more GFO to control for this. (Try not to let your phosphate get much lower than .03.)

2) Add more fish and/or feed them more. You'll also need to up your GFO in order to prevent a concomitant increase in phosphate.

3) Dose Acropower, which produces some nitrate. It also has aminos, which your corals will appreciate. You'll also need to up your GFO because it contains phosphate too.

4) Dose potassium nitrate or calcium nitrate (http://www.planetnatural.com/product/cal-mag-plus/ or http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301084914962?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82) like they do as fertilizer in freshwater planted tanks (no phosphate in these additives). I would only try this if you don't have success trying the other options.

Good luck!

Edited by Lexinverts